Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
cmw

Salem TT questions

Hi, first time poster long time stalker

My family and I are looking at a 29QBDS.
I have a few questions, after looking around the forum, and getting some answers and I also got some more questions.

1- I wondering about the overall length of the TT and my truck, I have a F350 with the long box and a crew cab so its a long truck adding this 34' trailer we'll be taking up a huge piece of pavement; I am kind of concerned about campsites and such moving this rig around. Thoughts?

2- The tongue weight is not that much for my truck and I am not worried about it doing the "swerve of death", but for about 600.00 I can get a weight distribution hitch and anti sway setup. I am just not sure if its really needed or not?

3- quality of these campers, I in my looking around on the forums I seem to be seeing lots of issues, now I realized that its camping time and people are looking for help with issues that have popped up so is it that or has Forest River quality never been that good?

4- the 29qbs has power awning and power jack and stabilizers (all with a remote) any real thoughts about those items, at first I was thinking hey that's kind of nice, but then I got to thinking hey more to go wrong. I saw one thread where a guy was having issues with his popping the fuses but I have not seen any others.

thanks

Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw View Post
Hi, first time poster long time stalker

My family and I are looking at a 29QBDS.
I have a few questions, after looking around the forum, and getting some answers and I also got some more questions.

1- I wondering about the overall length of the TT and my truck, I have a F350 with the long box and a crew cab so its a long truck adding this 34' trailer we'll be taking up a huge piece of pavement; I am kind of concerned about campsites and such moving this rig around. Thoughts?

2- The tongue weight is not that much for my truck and I am not worried about it doing the "swerve of death", but for about 600.00 I can get a weight distribution hitch and anti sway setup. I am just not sure if its really needed or not?

3- quality of these campers, I in my looking around on the forums I seem to be seeing lots of issues, now I realized that its camping time and people are looking for help with issues that have popped up so is it that or has Forest River quality never been that good?

4- the 29qbs has power awning and power jack and stabilizers (all with a remote) any real thoughts about those items, at first I was thinking hey that's kind of nice, but then I got to thinking hey more to go wrong. I saw one thread where a guy was having issues with his popping the fuses but I have not seen any others.

thanks
1) It will be long, but not unmanageable. Just make sure that you tell whoever you are making any reservations with, what your overall length is.

2) Yes! Go for the dual-cam weight distribution. You wont be sorry!

3) Quality is generally no better or no worse with Forrest River products compared to others. These forums, and other mfgr forums, tend to bring out more complaints than praise. Forrest River did, for years, have a bad (and well deserved) rep for their proprietary sound systems, but even that has vastly improved in the last few years....

4) Power everything seems to be the way of the future. I, like you, am cautious about anything more than a power tongue jack. The couple that we always camp with have a new TT this year with the power awning, and thus far, they love it.

5) Have fun and enjoy your camping! And when something doesn't seem to work correctly, or you need advice, this forum is ALWAY a great place to seek answers!

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

I've added some comments in blue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw View Post

The longer the trailer the few your choices will be for sites that it fits on or can be maneuvered into.

You probably don't need weight distribution but would still benefit from some sort of sway control. Perhaps all you'll need is a friction type sway bar.

Invariably you'll see posts of complaints about workmanship or quality issues...people that don't have any issues seldom post that fact. In a poll that's currently running on the forum, about 90% of the campers responding would buy another Forest River camper.

I haven't seen too many issues other than blown fuses and they usually occur when you run the stabilizers or tongue jack into the mechanical stop. Enjoy the convenience they provide.
Good luck with your decision...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
cmw

thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

As for the quality of the build, We have a 2014 Salem 32BHDS, have had it since May and camped in it 19 nights so far and put about 800 miles on it. Fit and finish is really in a word, subpar. No major problems with it so far, the A/C is the only thing we have had worked on, and it was replaced. Tires, seem a little soft, cant take to much abuse, and already looking for replacements. I would still buy one today knowing what I know so far about this one.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem