Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Thumbs down Salem vs. Wildwood

Hi guys.

I am very close to buy a trailer. It will probably be Salem 36BHBS.
Question: Is there any difference between Salem and Wildwood? I have checked both, they look totally the same. Which one would you buy?

Question 2: Is there any difference between those trailers built for US market and for Canadian (Ontario) market?

Thanks in advance.
I plan to have this trailer ready for next season.
Blaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #2

Most likely they are the same trailer with cosmetic differences (See Rockwood & Flagstaff). This is to allow a dealer to have "exclusive" rights to a brand, but give another dealer the same thing with a different name.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Thank you Hokiehall.

I plan to buy my trailer in May next year. Does anybody know when 2011 versions will be available? How can I find out if 2011 will be any different than 2010?

Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

Typically the next model year trailer comes out at the end of June. For example, July 1st 2009 would start the production year of 2010 models. The difference between the two models is the decals ONLY, just like Rockwood / Flagstaff. This gives Forest River more dealerships in the same size geographical area (because they are selling two different models, even though they are the same weight, floorplan, size, etc.) than other RV manufactures. It also gives Forest River more quantity buying power for the parts and accessories to assemble the Trailers. So far as changes, All units are always undergoing changes as stated in all RV brochures. There is no way of knowing what changes are taking place, Best to keep informed by you RV dealer, they may have gotten some wind of changes to come.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for your response. It solves my dilemma about 2011 model.
I have an RV Show in 2 weeks from now to visit, and after that it is buying time.

I have heard that now is buyers time when we talk about RVs. But here in Canada not too many used RVS for sale. And what is for sale the price is high.
That is another reason to go with a new trailer.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

There is ALWAYS wiggle room on price
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

We bought a Rockwood last year, picking it up on the labour day weekend. There were lots of clearance out there. We paid $28,000, the same trailer was on offer for $38,000 at a different dealer (he said he'd come down a couple of thousand, but not $10,000). We bought from a country dealer with minimal overhead and no commissioned staff. There are deals to be had. But you have to look.

I used autotrader.ca and got lots of comparative prices, on both used and new trailers. There is also that RV Trader magazine.

One thing I learned about the Canadian market, the volitile Canadian dollar makes a huge difference, our 2009 trailer, bought by the dealer in 2008, then the dollar was high (over par) but then it dropped down, by 20%, meaning the same trailer, bought later would be 20% higher, on a $30,000 trailer, that is $6,000 - due to different rates of exchange.

Good luck, and haggle well.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

If I'm not mistaken the Salem has smooth fiberglass siding and the Wildwood is the aluminum wavy style. As least that was the differance with my 27RBEC Wildwood and a Salem. The Salem had some pillows at the end of the couch that mine did not have. Other than that they were the exact same!!

I think I would prefer the flat fiberglas side rather than the wavy aluminum!!
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #9

We looked at a 2005 Wildwood and a 2005 Salem LE at the lot side by side, the main difference we found was the Salem was a bit more upscale on the interior, but basically the same unit.

We settled on the Salem and are very pleased.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem