Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

Salem Water Damage

Hi all!
We have just moved from a 2002 Rockwood popup to a 2002 Salem 31BH. We were told that there were a few soft spots in the roof due to water damagem however at $8k for the uinit, since it was the perfect floor plan for us, and the interior and components seem to have been in great condition, being handy with wood, I figured it was worth the gamble...
After getting it home, I peeled back the roof above the bathroom in the back left corner, and found extensive water damage. The roof and joists were mush all the way to the ceiling fan. After pulling the rear aluminum sheathing, I found all the rear wall studs on both the left and right sides but not in the middle were also rotted and black with mold. (interesting how most damage was at the top of the campers back wall). In addition, as I pull the roof material back, I am finding many places where the OSB on the roof is wet along the top, but not in the middle of the roof.
There is also a soft spot in the front right over the bedroom, and upon inspection, I believe it is from either antenna, or front lights being left uncaulked, but haven’t proceeded to rip into it yet.
I have decided the best thing to do is remove and replace the roof with a rubber roof instead of a vinyl one. Several local trailer dealers are telling me that Forest River did not seal the roof correctly though, however as I am the second owner, I cannot tell how much maintenance was actually done by previous owner to know whose responsibility it was.
My questions are:
1-will the wet areas I may miss in the side walls dry if I stop the leaks but do not remove the wood
2-are others having issues with the roof on this model
3-should I use rubber or vinyl for roof
4-moving into the future, besides recaulking seals, how do I stop having that paranoid feeling every time it rains that there may be a leak again?

Thanks for any suggestions and help anyone can provide

Ira Siegel
Columbus, Ohio
isiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Whoa. Big trouble!
1. I know I would run a dehumidifier non-stop for a few days/weeks to suck the moisture out of the wood. Sealed up, a dehumidifier will eventually take care of any hidden wet areas.
2. No issues with mine
3. I haven't seen many yinyl roofs; rubber seems to be pretty much the standard but others may have advice on that.
4. Once you repair everything, reroof, and carefully seal everything well, you should be able to feel comfortable that you've done everything possible to keep water out. a Good check annually should reinforce that. You can never know for sure, but you'll at least know you're making it watertight.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #3

I agree with what Welshman says.

Your AC unit also works as a dehumidifier with the caveat that it drains on the roof. Find a way to reroute the water and you can use that instead of going out and buying one. Dry it out completely before reroofing.

Keep us posted. I'd like to hear about your progress.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

Beauty is only skin deep

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I had figured I could add new joists from the inside, however I had not anticipated that much damage. The dealer did forewarn me I likely would not be able to, and after seeing the damage first hand, well....
I have a dehumidifier running full time, and it seems to be helping. Here are a few picture of the upper left corner, including the mush that was a joist, as well as what it looks like after taking the back off. It is interesting how the center studs for the bunks were perfectly clean, but I figure water came in on corners and likely wicked. My only concern now is whether to pull all walls, or just go as far as necessary and hope what I miss dries up and will not smell after it’s all closed up. Ordering rubber roof this week, and a waterproof Tyvek cover just in case I get stuck from rain or weather as well as for later storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom_Left_Small.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	385   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling_mush_small.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	386   Click image for larger version

Name:	open_back_small.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	387  
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #5

UPDATE - Well, it's finally done

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and support with this project.
Last weekend we took the SS Minow out for our first weekend trip and it rained the entire weekend - and we loved every minute of it !!! Everything remained completely dry, and unlike the pop-up we had previously, we were able to remain inside and enoy some family time instead of yelling at the kids to "stop touching the sides". Between the short time frame for setup and tear down as well as having heat and ice cubes in a freezer, I dont think I could ever go back to a pop-up. I'll post some newer pictures shortly.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #6

ss minnow
good to hear its all good now and your up and running DRY

Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 AM   #7

Happy every thing worked out for you and your family. I thought that the out side shower over the tolet was a good Idea, the only thing one would have to do is stand up to shave!!!!!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Isiegel you are a better man than me!!! That must have been one loooong project. Congratulations on making an eight thousand dollar sponge and a ton of elbow grease into a happy experience.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
...I think I would have lit a match and....nevermind. (did I say that?)

Glad you are all fixed up now.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem