Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #1

Should my awning be in further?

We went out in our unit for the first time this weekend.. When packing up i noticed our awning wasnt snug against the camper.. Maybe its in all the way but it just seems it should go in further... We cant get it past this point are we doing something wrong?? Or is this how it is?? This is a 195bh unit and there is a pole you hook on and turn to open and shut the awning. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442837298.623277.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	89422
skissugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #2

Fairly common.
wowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Does it seem like your awning arms are just a little off to the right or left of center?
If so your fabric has slid just a little bit in the roller tube one way or the other and caused it to roll up a little crooked.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "27 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #4

On mine, the front arm (where the motor is) stays about 1/2" from what I'd consider totally retracted. However, I think that's OK because it means the spring tension has fully retracted the rear, unpowered end while the motor keeps the front end pretty well locked. Initially I looked for travel locks like the manual awning on my old TT but then came to the conclusion that power awnings don't have them.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

I would check the joints of your awning arms, something could be preventing them from closing completely, .......wires, junk, ect.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #6

We had the same problem which got worse with use. Dealer replaced awning, under warranty, because they said one side of canvas was 3/4" longer than the other. I thought it just needed adjustment. I got a new awning so my problem is solved. Report the problem to your dealer now and if it gets worse, continue to report the problem to the dealer and FR. Good luck.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #7

I agree with Probwrm19. Mine is nice and snug with wall.
alimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probwrm19 View Post
We had the same problem which got worse with use. Dealer replaced awning, under warranty, because they said one side of canvas was 3/4" longer than the other. I thought it just needed adjustment. I got a new awning so my problem is solved. Report the problem to your dealer now and if it gets worse, continue to report the problem to the dealer and FR. Good luck.
We had the same problem. Dealer said the awning was 1/2" to 3/4" 'out of square'. They replaced the whole thing and still have the same problem.
Just another reason Forest River is on my list of do not buy again. Too many warranty issues that ended up no better off than before.
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skissugar View Post
We went out in our unit for the first time this weekend.. When packing up i noticed our awning wasnt snug against the camper.. Maybe its in all the way but it just seems it should go in further... We cant get it past this point are we doing something wrong?? Or is this how it is?? This is a 195bh unit and there is a pole you hook on and turn to open and shut the awning. Attachment 89422
We have the same model and awning and ours fit similar to yours. The reel doesn't allow the roll to fit snug to the wall leaving a gap. As long as the support structure is snug, I wouldn't worry too much.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #10

How is the awning a forrest river problem. They don't make them. They are provided by an outside contractor. same as Water heated, fridge, water pump, ETC.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

Come on A32ace,
If it is a new trailer and the awning won't roll up tight, it is a FR problem and issue that the dealer should handle with FR. If the awning material is not square, it is a FR issue. Yes, they are supplied to FR, but to FR specs, FR needs to use their leverage with the vendor because their "clout" to get things corrected in the short and long run is better than 15 individual RV owners. Your logic leaves something to be desired??!!!.
numbersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #12

that is all the farther it will go in , i have the same model and it seams that FR mounted the awnings to high ? they need to be mounted lower on the sides to have the awning to pull level at the top when rolled up . if you notice it is pulling down to the gutter so that's all the farther it can go . if the arms were lower the top of the awning would be level with where it slides into the gutter rail and it would pull up tight . i have had no problems with mine but dont understand why they did it that way ? it just creates a huge gutter to hold crap when rolled up . i have had the thought of remounting mine and lowering the mounting rails but i hate to put extra holes in the sidewall . good job FR LOL!
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #13

Should my awning be in further?

Forest river is installing them and if they don't operate correctly it seems like a forest river problem to me.

There are adjustments in the mounting brackets to the trailer and the gear head to the arms.

I've seen at least 5 or more on dealer lots that don't line up correctly or close like they should.

Mine being one that had to be adjusted under warranty.

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #14

If this is a new unit, make the dealer fix it. If you are describing the old style awning like mine where you hook the lever then pull down from a strap with a hook rod, then it may be as simple as you need to slide the strapbto the center before you roll it up so the sides both go on the brackets. That type the legs line up on to the brackets or they will not fold completely.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
How is the awning a forrest river problem. They don't make them. They are provided by an outside contractor. same as Water heated, fridge, water pump, ETC.
Because Forest River installed a clearly defective product. It's 100% their fault.
This unit should have never been placed on the RV, and Forest River's quality control should have caught it and sent it back to the manufacturer. This would then light a fire under the manufacturer's hind end to up their QC standards. But as long a Forest River keeps accepting this garbage, nothing will improve.
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #16

Mine does this too as said by another awning has slid a bit in the roller. When it does this while away I usually just give a light rap on the arms and they pop in place then push button and retract again and ti tightens up. Going to try and give awning material an adjustment today to get it back in position. On mine you can see its rolling up just a bit off.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Agree with gfarmcafe. Our cruise lite's awning looks the same and is tight. Remote control power awning. With all of our other issues, I would be very reluctant to suggest to friends to buy Forest River.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #18

Ours actually doesnt close that much since we have an electrical box hidden in outlet that i added for the led lights, u will be fine
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbunch View Post
Agree with gfarmcafe. Our cruise lite's awning looks the same and is tight. Remote control power awning. With all of our other issues, I would be very reluctant to suggest to friends to buy Forest River.
J
Really won't make much difference as to what other manufacture you buy from they all have issues. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #20

Dear J:trink39,
So what are you saying, since they all have issues, we should accept these as us and not do anything about them? Your logic and attitude on the subject of good quality control speaks volumes. I agree I will wait MUCH "Later" to read your comments going forward. We are looking for improvements, not status quo!
numbersman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning