Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #1

Stabilizer jack issue -leveling

We just bought our first TT. A Salem lite 273qbxl. The big question after camping this weekend on uneven ground is how do you level the trailer side to side on uneven ground when the power stabilizer jacks work in tandem. Is there any way to raise one more than the other? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Cjmcnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjmcnur View Post
We just bought our first TT. A Salem lite 273qbxl. The big question after camping this weekend on uneven ground is how do you level the trailer side to side on uneven ground when the power stabilizer jacks work in tandem. Is there any way to raise one more than the other? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 33' Wildwood xlite 273QBXL. I use a set of Anderson chock levels on the side that needs most help. Then put the tandem stabilizers down. Finish with up and down from the tongue.
DerekQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 PM   #3

The stabilizer jacks are for stabilizing(taking out some wiggle). The pad is leveled with blocks, boards, levelers etc. Many threads on this on the forum. I will find a few and try to post.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:47 PM   #4

Here is one....
2016 Grey Wolf 23QB

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=141944
Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #5

Google "RV Leveling blocks" Pack of 8-10 look like big lego's. Stack 1,2, or more on the low side, put them in front or behind the tires and pull trailer up onto them. Check for level and adjust if needed. Chock trailer wheels, disconnect TV, then level front to rear with tongue jack. When level, deploy stabilizers.
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #6

Here's another

Brand new 2509s and I bent the stabilizer jacks the first time out

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=133803
Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. I just got my leveling blocks from Amazon today. My other question is if there needs to be say 3 blocks under a tire, how do you keep the blocks from popping out from the pressure of the tires pushing on them? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I just got my leveling blocks from Amazon today. My other question is if there needs to be say 3 blocks under a tire, how do you keep the blocks from popping out from the pressure of the tires pushing on them? Thanks.
You need to build a ramp with the blocks or pieces of wood like a 2x6. If you have the ones I think you do, you would need like 3-4 blocks on the bottom, then two blocks on top of those then 1 block on top. Or you can use the wood mentioned above to make the ramp.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #9

Ok, gotcha. Thanks so much. This forum is awesome. I've learned a lot already. [emoji2]
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #10

I just use 1 by 10 pieces of boards about 18 inches long to put under the two tires I need to level my TT
surfdogg65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #11

I cut several 2x8 boards in various lengths and carry this with me. They are bit more weight than the plastic blocks, but work well.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #12
Insert witty title here

My stabilizers auto level. If one reaches the ground first, the other will continue until it touches the ground before tightening.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes,first take your unit to a "Solid/Level/Location" and deploy your Slides,Now check inside your door for Level,if it is Down on one side add "Blocks under Low side Tires until Level" side to side! This will tell your "Starting Point" at " Campground Site" unless you are Lucky enough to find a Site that has the Exact slope needed without your "Starting Blocks"! After your unit is Level "Front to Back /Side to Side" THEN deploy your "Stabilizer Jacks" just until they "Firm up/Meet Resistance/Motor Sound Changes" then Stop! At this time you can Deploy your Slides! Youroo!!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdogg65 View Post
I just use 1 by 10 pieces of boards about 18 inches long to put under the two tires I need to level my TT
i do the same.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
Always Learning

RV Leveling is Really Quick and Easy | Learn To RV
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #16

I have a (one piece leveling block that is about two feet long and eight or ten inches wide, yellow plastic. Has graduated steps so you can drive/back on to it as much as needed. Bought it at Pete's RV (my dealer), but Amazon must have them. Only needed it once, but a lifesaver.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaandspike View Post
I have a (one piece leveling block that is about two feet long and eight or ten inches wide, yellow plastic. Has graduated steps so you can drive/back on to it as much as needed. Bought it at Pete's RV (my dealer), but Amazon must have them. Only needed it once, but a lifesaver.
The OP has a Dual Axle TT with a Slide! Yours is Single Axle! Youroo!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #18

Get these: https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...erson+levelers If you camp a lot in paved RV sites, get the ones with the rubber mats to place between the leveler and the pavement. These do in seconds what would otherwise take a lot of work and trial-and-error experimentation.

And bring a shovel.

The Anderson Levelers will lift the downhill side. One assumes that any paved RV spot will be level enough for these to provide more than enough lift, or the RV park manager needs a psych exam--and you need a refund. But when boondocking, the levelers may not be enough, and that's where the shovel comes in. Dig a hole for your tire(s) on the uphill side and use the Andersons on the downhill side. In primitive lakeside spots, I've dug down as much as 6" on the uphill side to level my PUP.

Fore-and-aft leveling is done with the tongue jack and leveling blocks if needed. If the slope on your chosen spot is too steep to allow fore-and-aft leveling (let's say the blackwater dump pipe and/or rear bumper are in danger of getting crushed from raising the tongue so high) the shovel can help again.

A good straight-claw hammer can double as a "pick" to break up really hard soil. Or a hand pick/mattock can make quick work of scouring out a bigger hole. It depends what you can carry and how often you encounter steep slopes....and the length of your trailer.

The stabilizer jacks are NOT leveling jacks. Yes, you can tweak the leveling about an inch or so left-to-right and get away with it. But if you look closely at the jacks and the attachment points on the frame, you'll quickly realize that using the stabilizer jacks to significantly raise one side of the trailer is a mistake. They will fail under this abuse.
My rule of thumb on this is: I start on the low side and if I lift the low side an inch, I stop. Also, if my 18-volt Porter Cable two-speed drill stalls in the lower gear, I'm done cranking. That's a LOT of strain, and the more extended the stabilizer jack is, the more lifting leverage it has. Once the scissors opens beyond 45 degrees, it's easy to overdo it even on the higher drill gear. Once the downhill side has been lifted a max of about 1" by the stabilizer jacks, I "snug" the uphill jacks using the drill's highest speed, but avoid lifting. If that isn't enough, then I need to dig a deeper hole for the uphill tire.

What I carry:
Shovel - https://www.amazon.com/Bond-LH015-Mi...+garden+shovel
Straight claw hammer - https://www.amazon.com/Estwing-Strai...ht+claw+hammer My hammer is also the perfect tool for driving the tent stakes I use to hold my canopy, generator "tent," and other items from blowing away. In windy Colorado, I also add tie-downs to my awning using parachute cord and a tent stake at each corner.
If I know I'm going to a difficult site (or unknown), I'll throw this in the bed of my truck: https://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-G...s=pick+mattock
A pick/mattock is an earth moving machine, but it's a lot of tool to tote around on a regular basis. They also make "gardening" sizes of this tool...with a 15 inch handle and a lighter head...but that's why I have my hammer.

This advice works for "modest" campers up to about 25' for so. Once you get into the bigger RVs, it seems unlikely you'd try to park your Fiver on such a steep side slope that you'd need to get out a shovel. The Andersons will carry an RV up to 30,000 pounds, but they are limited to tires about 32" in diameter...see the link and description on Amazon. If they won't work for you, consider leveling blocks, but they are far less convenient. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2PKFDKUYFK4SG
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #19

P.S. There are, of course, RVs equipped with automatic LEVELING jacks. These use hydraulics or electric motors to drive heavy-duty pistons to the ground and actually lift the RV. They are connected to sturdy points on the frame. That's a very different ball game than most of us peons face with our more modest RVs.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #20

Thanks everyone. Very helpful advise!