Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Stored on a slant

Good morning all, I am new to camping and just got a salem 29RLSS. A friend offered to let us store it beside a barn on his property free of charge. My concern is that it's on quite a slant. Just guessing but may have to put 10-12 inches to level. Is this a problem if I don't level? The trailer is not plugged in or "hooked up" in any way. Thanks for the advice.
Campingwithsophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingwithsophie View Post
Good morning all, I am new to camping and just got a salem 29RLSS. A friend offered to let us store it beside a barn on his property free of charge. My concern is that it's on quite a slant. Just guessing but may have to put 10-12 inches to level. Is this a problem if I don't level? The trailer is not plugged in or "hooked up" in any way. Thanks for the advice.
Typo. Make that a 27 RLSS
Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

Do you ever plan on running anything? Refrig exc while it is in this position? If so, I would be nervous about that. But otherwise as long as the unit is stable, I would not worry about it.. The only thing I can think of is it would put more stress on the suspension components on the down hill side if the slant is right to left on the camper. If it is front to back you could always use blocks and lower the tongue to flatten it out. I would take the free space.
Kdz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Yea the slant is side to side. Our friend has talked about putting in a plug but as of right now we don't plan to run anything. Thanks for the post
Old 04-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Don't try moving the slide room in or out with the camper that out of level side to side.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks Dave. The slide will stay in while it's parked there
Old 04-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

If you are not going to plug it in to keep a charge on the battery, you should unhook the battery. The power disconnect inside is not good enough since the CO2/LP gas detector is usually hot wired to the battery.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Slides in, fridge off, water and tanks drained, battery removed and stored inside your garage? Storing on a bit of a slant is a good idea. That way when it rains, the water will run right off. Also make sure you "mouse proof" your unit because you will be parked by a barn.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

No doubt, buy your friend a good barn cat! ;-). Where I store mine there are cats that like to hang out in the shade under my camper.... Good kitty ;-). No mice in my camper.
Kdz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #10

I store mine at a friends farm also. Not level front to rear never bothered anything ; never had anything turned on. I all ways thought the water ran off better. He also has about 15 cats so no mouse problem.

2006 GMC Duramax Ext cab LB
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32 RL
duradiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #11

Being side to side, IMO I think that is a little extreme. You don't want to store your trailer on dirt only not good for the tires and suspension. I would either bring in some 3/4" drainage rock or at least put down some 2x6 treated lumber. You can cut a ramp on one end and stack 3 high to help level it off. His land is probably sloped for water run off, that is why I say 3/4" rock. For one thing you have a good friend to allow you to do that....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote