Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Surviving the cold

Hey all, I have a forest river 272RLIS, currently I am camping for the weekend where it turns out some snow and cold temps are on there way.

Just want to make sure everything will be ok.

First cold is stated for 28 degrees, I figure for just a few hours this shouldn't be a big deal, maybe just fill the fresh water tank, and leave the cabinets open at night for a little extra heat around the pipes.

My big concern is the temps that are supposed to get around 18. Am I safe doing the same as above? Should i even disconnect sewer line? Would the inside furnace and space heater be enough to not worry about any lines busting??

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Pikeplace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #2

A little more info would sure be helpful. Here's 3 questions that answers to will help get you your answers.

1) Does your RV have an inclosed belly with heated fresh water, black, and gray tank heaters?

2) Do you stay connected to the campground water source?

3) Are your waste valves in the enclosed belly or out in the open?

I have broken water pipes twice in 18 degree overnight weather when I owned a Winnebago ERA, class B which had all the plumbing running under the unit. I've camped in 3 different class A diesel pushers with heated tank areas for weeks on end in temps in the teens and never had a problem. So the bottom line is--are your pipes/tanks protected in an inclosed area with a heat source.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #3

1) The underbelly is enclosed, and to my knowledge does not have heaters

2) I typically stay connected to camp water source. Is it better to stay connected than fill fresh water tank?

3) valves are enclosed in the belly
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

You stated that you have a Forest River 272RLIS. Is this the same as a Salem Hemisphere 272RL? or Wildwood Heritage Glen 272RL? If so, the Forest River web site shows these models have heated and enclosed underbellies, which means that if the propane furnace is running, heat is being blown into the underbelly, keeping the tanks and plumbing from freezing. An overhead heat pump or electric space heaters don't circulate heat into the underbelly, so you need to use the propane heater when it goes below freezing. go to the web site and look at the gallery. This link may take you there. The gallery page has a photo of the underbelly with the caption that it is heated and enclosed.

Salem Hemisphere Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #5

Ramblerguy!

Thanks for you response. This is a Salem hemisphere RL. I looked at your link, and to my amazement i loved what I saw. I guess I just never thought I would be set up to survive the cold that easy, especially hearing all the horror stories.

I will run the propane furnace, and make sure to use the fresh water tank, and disconnect from city water.

Thanks again!!