Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #61

Want stable ? Put it on a permanent foundation or mount Outriggers on it like they use on large cranes.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #62

I ordered rv jack stands. 2 in front of axle on frame and 2 rear of axle on frame. Eliminated 90% of my movement.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Maybe with a single axle trailer I can see a possible issue with a flat tire and slide stabilizers.

And even then it is questionable...

Although I'm not even sure if there are any single axle trailers with slide-outs.

<snip>
There are single axle trailers with slides. My pop-up (flagstaff hw27sc) has a slide for the "dining room" table. It's not as heavy as a travel trailer/5th wheel slide...but it does cause the camper to lean a little to that side.

I'm installing some JT Strongarm stabilizers to see if they'll reduce (maybe eliminate) the movement we have in our camper. I'm hoping they help...it's annoying at night when our 80 pound shepherd decides to jump off the bed.

Safe Travels,

Jerry
jsachse42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I think the JT Strongarms (and equivalent) are the no-brainer here. However, they also cost in excess of $200 and may not be the easiest thing to install for the average person ... not everyone is a DIY.

X-Chocks work OK. I don't think they do that much. But, I think they were like $50-60 for a pair. The other idea that I didn't see mentioned, gets positive reviews, and is more affordable is the Valterra stabilizer. I may try a couple of these this year:

These are inexpensive, don't take a lot of room, are very easy to set up, adjust for varying heights, etc. I bought them for my popup and used them for all of my pull-behind trailers. They work very well. I used three. One under the frame near the stairs. One on the opposite side, under the frame near the bed. And one across the bumper on the back. That solved the movement issues. You'll NEVER get rid of all movement, but these three sure kept movement to a minimum.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #65

The amount of movement felt inside a trailer will depend in part in length of the frame, strength of frame and axle rating and maybe tire pressure. In some cases, floor joists are minimal and subfloor material is minimal which can add to the sensation of movement. Electric stabilizers do little to "stabilize" and are worse than scissor jacks. Only good thing about the electric ones is convenience and the "mine are better than yours" factor.

I installed a pair of the BAL lock arms at rear. You can buy just a pair of them and IIRC, cost us under $70 a few years back. I mounted the upper end to the underside of the bumper. That way there is stabilization left/right and fore/aft. These work great! DW can tell when I haven't tightened them up. No need for a set at the front. I attached the lower end of the struts to the jack feet because of the "slop" in the bolts between the feet and stabilizer arms.

Note that if using any brand of stabilizer strut, you must get Lippert's #314597 "jack adapter kit" as in the photo below otherwise the struts will crash into the stabilizers when retracted. I also mounted a piece of 8"x8"x3/4" HDPE plastic to the underside of the jack feet. This helps improve stability on softer ground. While I was down under the TT, I removed the year old nuts & bolts on the jacks that were rusting and replaced them with stainless steel.

I bought a set of 4 stacker jacks. One major problem with them is that they only go up to 17" and many frames are higher off the ground than that. They aren't very stable laterally when extended that high either. I had to use some cribbing from pieces of 4x4 to add height. Tried these once and they didn't help at all and sold them on CL.

One option that can help some a lot is a pair of jacks just ahead of the axles. X-chocks help but if you use them, you are supposed to also use blocks to prevent a trailer from rolling. I don't because we're always on flat ground in a CG. They will pop out if a trailer moves enough. We also have the Torklift Glowsteps which really help reducing movement when someone is inside (like me sleeping) and someone goes up and down the steps.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
When I had my Hilo about 15 years ago, that is exactly what I did also. Used a bottle jack and a couple of 2x blocks to get the low side up level in the center and then put those under the frame like you described and cranked to fine tune.

The reason I started doing that with the Hilo was I had the regular stabalizers down one time (no X-chocks back then) and while walking around it wanted to try and shift some. Once I started using those jack stands, it was like NJKris said, solid enough to dance on.

I think I still have them in storage in the basement. I had forgotten about them. This is what we are talking about. The ones I had were like this. The entire center rod could be lifted out and the pyramids would stack. Did not take up much storage space at all.

I recently started using these along with my JT StrongArm Stabilizers. Now I leave my X-Chocks at home. We’re satisfied.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	204602

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Believe what you wish John, my advice stands and aligns with every major R/V manufacturerers recommendations.
Big Huge X2
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #68

Getting rid of the bounce.

I have a '17 27' Wildwood Rear Kitchen model with slide. When I set my trailer up, once the front and rear stabilizers hit the ground, I go a little further with running them and make sure that they are actually holding the the trailer in place like their supposed to. They are not designed to jack up your trailer, but they are designed to hold it steady, meaning it will hold it without bouncing around.

I have a 29 yo Autistic son, who weighs 235lbs. He gets a little excited at times while we are camping and our trailer moves very little when he dances around. 😊
bgoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #69
D W

In my neck of the woods we call it "jounce". As long as you're setting on top of suspension components and pneumatic tires you will never get rid of it totally. We've gotten used to it. To me it's a waste of money and time to hang iron underneath for just a marginal improvement.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #70
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
In my neck of the woods we call it "jounce". As long as you're setting on top of suspension components and pneumatic tires you will never get rid of it totally. We've gotten used to it. To me it's a waste of money and time to hang iron underneath for just a marginal improvement.
Don't knock it till you try it.
My 'iron' (JT's Strong Arms) made better than a 75% improvement. Not marginal, a waste of time nor money for us.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #71

On our 37 foot 5er, I installed the JTStrongarms and it made quite a difference. But, I have about 5 feet from the back jack to the bumper and there was a lot of movement when walking in the back. Shoo I found a Valtera stabilizer that I put under the bumper and problem solved... scissor jacks would work also!
atcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtmavs View Post
With the front and rear stabilizers down and solid, the trailer bounces like crazy any time someone walks in it or even rolls in the bed! How do I get rid of this? I am buying slide stabilizers, but don’t know if that’s enough. X wheel locks? Any ideas are appreciated!
I have a Windjammer 3006WK. The stab jacks are way out on the ends. I have the same issue caused by frame flex. Especially when someone walks down through the trailer. I just snug a scissor jack under one of the axle tubes and it's as stable as can be.
bdbittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Exactly why i got the jack stands. Take the load off the suspension
Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #74

Sure fire method: Here's what I do. Back in, set up, pop a cold one and RELAX !!! Quite simple really.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I recently started using these along with my JT StrongArm Stabilizers. Now I leave my X-Chocks at home. We’re satisfied.
Attachment 204602

Mr. Dan,
Is that the best place to set those aluminum stack jacks- in relation to the axle?

I likely would not want to put them along the frame would I?

I bought those this past week.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
Mr. Dan,
Is that the best place to set those aluminum stack jacks- in relation to the axle?

I likely would not want to put them along the frame would I?

I bought those this past week.
I don’t want mine up against my axles although someone recommended placing them up against the axle tube. I would put mine up against my frame but my frame on a 4-step trailer is too high off the ground (or my jacks are too short). So I chose a spring hanger at the rear of my suspension because my rear stabilizers are not as solid as my fiver front jack legs. The spring hangers are welded to the frame so they are solid as the frame - just not as far off the ground.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #77

Quote:
I don’t want mine up against my axles although someone recommended placing them up against the axle tube. I would put mine up against my frame but my frame on a 4-step trailer is too high off the ground (or my jacks are too short). So I chose a spring hanger at the rear of my suspension because my rear stabilizers are not as solid as my fiver front jack legs. The spring hangers are welded to the frame so they are solid as the frame - just not as far off the ground.

Thanks.

Have a similar issue with height. Plan on using wood blocks as you did. There is a place off the axle that might work.

I am guessing people don't want to damage the axle, so, they might not want to brace actually against it? I could see some issues, maybe, if the jacks were on the frames. But, I suppose, only if I raised the jacks too high and put the main weight of the unit on them.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
Thanks.

Have a similar issue with height. Plan on using wood blocks as you did. There is a place off the axle that might work.

I am guessing people don't want to damage the axle, so, they might not want to brace actually against it? I could see some issues, maybe, if the jacks were on the frames. But, I suppose, only if I raised the jacks too high and put the main weight of the unit on them.
I’m not man enough to raise these little jacks too high! I don’t use any tool for leverage and you can’t put much steam against those short little twist rods without sticking a hole in your hand!

“THEY” say not to lift a trailer with the axle although I watched two Disc____ Ti__ hands do it to a man’s trailer.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #79

Quote:
I’m not man enough to raise these little jacks too high! I don’t use any tool for leverage and you can’t put much steam against those short little twist rods without sticking a hole in your hand!

“THEY” say not to lift a trailer with the axle although I watched two Disc____ Ti__ hands do it to a man’s trailer.

Okay then, won't need a tool, and, don't force the issue manually.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #80

I place mine on 6x6 wooden blocks and put them under the frame rail

Tags
trailer