Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 19
Trailer bounces with any movement!

With the front and rear stabilizers down and solid, the trailer bounces like crazy any time someone walks in it or even rolls in the bed! How do I get rid of this? I am buying slide stabilizers, but donít know if thatís enough. X wheel locks? Any ideas are appreciated!
__________________

Jtmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
The X-chocks will help, and the slide stabilizers will help if you have a lot of weight in the slide.

However, on the stabilizers on all four corners extended all the way to the ground?

If so, try putting some blocks under them so you don't have to extend them down so far.

This will help steady up the trailer.

By the way...what trailer do you have?
__________________

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,970
Slide stabilizers are not recommended by most manufacturers unless you have the R/V on piers or cement blocks. If a tire loses air, the trailer drops and you have a stabilizer under the slide, it will ruin things!

X-Chocks work well but your best bet is triangulation stabilization like JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast.

Do a forum search and you will have days of reading.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Summit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Central Upstate NY
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtmavs View Post
With the front and rear stabilizers down and solid, the trailer bounces like crazy any time someone walks in it or even rolls in the bed! How do I get rid of this? I am buying slide stabilizers, but donít know if thatís enough. X wheel locks? Any ideas are appreciated!
When we bought our V-Lite, the dealer suggested the X-Chocks, and they work really well. Somebody suggested testing this by doing the following:

With the trailer parked, unhitched, and reasonable level on a solid surface, wedge a thin (1x4") short board in front of and behind one of the tires. Have somebody walk aound inside the trailer as they normally would. While that is happening, see how one or both of the board becomes slightly/moderately loose, indicating wheel movement while the trailer is occupied. Then, place the X-Chocks between the tires on both sides and repeat the test. There should be a marked reduction in the loosening of the boards, indicating a correspondng reduction in overall movement. Wheel movement is a considerable cfactor in trailer movement.

In addition to the X-Chocks, ensure the stabilizers are all four corners are solidly in place, and the "feet" of each are on a somewhat wider block (or blocks) which contacts solid ground. These will likely need some tightening after the first twelve hours or so. If your RV has the "outrigger" style stabilizers, remember that "squatty" (farther extended laterally) is much better than "tall"(farther extended vertically). It is like standing with feet spaced a couple of inches apart versus a foot or so apart... which makes the person more (laterally) stable?

We asked about the use of "slide stabilizers" and they strongly advised against it, suggesting rather the above measures. The slide stabilizers, after a while, can cause undue wear (or worse) on the slide mechanisms, which can be expensive to repair. The slides are neither intended nor designed to support any part of the RV's inherent weight, but rather their own individual weight and capacity.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Slide stabilizers are not recommended by most manufacturers unless you have the R/V on piers or cement blocks. If a tire loses air, the trailer drops and you have a stabilizer under the slide, it will ruin things!
The flat tire part is a myth...

Slide stabilizers, if put under the slide to just stabilize the slide, will not cause any problems.

Too many scare tactics out there...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The flat tire part is a myth...

Slide stabilizers, if put under the slide to just stabilize the slide, will not cause any problems.

Too many scare tactics out there...
What ???
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The flat tire part is a myth...

Slide stabilizers, if put under the slide to just stabilize the slide, will not cause any problems.

Too many scare tactics out there...
I don't know if it's a myth or not because I've never actually seen any kind of study or testing on it, but it seems to be pretty common sense to me. If the level of the trailer drops and the level of the slide doesn't, you're probably going to have problems.

The part about manufacturers not recommending them is true though. They did at one time. But the slides are built better now and are able to handle weight much better than when they were made.

If you put stabilizers on the frame of the trailer itself there shouldn't be a need to put them under the slide.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
The flat tire part is a myth...

Slide stabilizers, if put under the slide to just stabilize the slide, will not cause any problems.

Too many scare tactics out there...
Believe what you wish John, my advice stands and aligns with every major R/V manufacturerers recommendations.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I don't know if it's a myth or not because I've never actually seen any kind of study or testing on it, but it seems to be pretty common sense to me. If the level of the trailer drops and the level of the slide doesn't, you're probably going to have problems.

If the four corner trailer stabilizers are all down on the ground and a tire goes flat...

Then how is said trailer going to drop?

That is the myth of this...

I used slide stabilizers on my previous TT as it had a large U-shaped dinette in it, and when more than two people sat in the dinette, it would bounce and droop slightly.

Putting those stabilizers under it absolutely fixed this issue 100%.

Most people that talk about these issues with slide stabilizers have never actually used them...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If the four corner trailer stabilizers are all down on the ground and a tire goes flat...

Then how is said trailer going to drop?

That is the myth of this...

I used slide stabilizers on my previous TT as it had a large U-shaped dinette in it, and when more than two people sat in the dinette, it would bounce and droop slightly.

Putting those stabilizers under it absolutely fixed this issue 100%.

Most people that talk about these issues with slide stabilizers have never actually used them...
Because they are stabilizers and not meant to hold the weight of the camper. I don't think I'd trust mine to not bend.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,970
The four corner stabilizers are just that, stabilizers and NOT intended to hold the weight of the R/V. They WILL bend like a pretzel.

If they were corner JACKS then that is different but they are stabilizers.

No myth about it and you don't need to use them to understand physics.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
That's a whole lot of if's.

Slide stabilizers work if you need them.

I needed them with my last TV...used them for two years...and loved them!

There are countless thousands of campers using them and not one true story of a flat tire damaging a slide.

I'll let you guys hash this out from here.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
That's a whole lot of if's.

Slide stabilizers work if you need them.

I needed them with my last TV...used them for two years...and loved them!

There are countless thousands of campers using them and not one true story of a flat tire damaging a slide.

I'll let you guys hash this out from here.
That's kinda the problem though. There are no reports that I've found of someone that actually had a slide stabilizer and had a tire go flat. So there's really no proof either way. But common sense seems to be that it's a possibility. If that's a risk you want to take, then that's your choice.

It's like saying there are 100s of people that drive without a seat belt on and have never had a problem. Well if you don't wear a seat belt and never get into an accident, of course you're not going to have any problems.

But the first time you do...
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 12,614
'Someone "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!'
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 86; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That's kinda the problem though. There are no reports that I've found of someone that actually had a slide stabilizer and had a tire go flat. So there's really no proof either way. But common sense seems to be that it's a possibility. If that's a risk you want to take, then that's your choice.

It's like saying there are 100s of people that drive without a seat belt on and have never had a problem. Well if you don't wear a seat belt and never get into an accident, of course you're not going to have any problems.

But the first time you do...
Maybe with a single axle trailer I can see a possible issue with a flat tire and slide stabilizers.

And even then it is questionable...

Although I'm not even sure if there are any single axle trailers with slide-outs.

But with a double axle trailer, if one tires goes flat, the other tire is there to hold it up.

There are lots of things about RV ownership that are a gamble...

Heck, just pulling them out of our own driveway and hitting the road is dangerous!

Everything about an RV has the possibility of failure...at any moment!

Does that stop us from hitting the road?

Nope.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
'Someone "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!'
Funny...

Somehow I knew that you might chime in with that one...

Although we are talking about an actual product here, and not doing something just because someone else has been getting away with if for a long time.

Anyway, I'll leave the rest of the conjecture to you guys!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 573
Have no idea on OP solution. when my stabilizers are down and snug, on a block or pad of some type I have no bounce whatsoever. If I do, I find that one or more stabilizers needs re-adjusting. It has worked loose.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,932
I've had both the BAL stabilizers that lower a strut and they did a pretty good job with side to side movement but nothing for front to back movement. I just chocked wheels tight as I could and lived with what little movement remained.

I did find that this kind of stabilizer worked best if the struts weren't at a high angle so I started carrying some blocking material to keep from having to lower them more than about a 30 degree angle.

My new trailer uses the scissor jacks which are OK if you don't have to lower them too much but if extended so they are almost straight they don't stop any movement. Again, back to blocking so I don't have to lower them more than half their length and then use between the tire chocks similar to the X-Chocks.

If one wants to remove as much fore and aft movement as possible it would appear to me that the accessory struts that brace the jacks when lowered would do the best job.

Actually, the BEST stabilizers I ever had were for my old 1972 Prowler. Simple triangular jack stands with screw adjustment for height. They were simple and easy to store. Just took a few minutes to set up but I couldn't use my cordless drill to lower/raise. I recently saw a trailer with the corner stabilizers down and the owner had placed four of these "Old School" jack stands under the frame near each wheel. This supported the frame in it's middle, taking out any possibility of tire flex as people moved about in the TT.
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post


Actually, the BEST stabilizers I ever had were for my old 1972 Prowler. Simple triangular jack stands with screw adjustment for height. They were simple and easy to store. Just took a few minutes to set up but I couldn't use my cordless drill to lower/raise. I recently saw a trailer with the corner stabilizers down and the owner had placed four of these "Old School" jack stands under the frame near each wheel. This supported the frame in it's middle, taking out any possibility of tire flex as people moved about in the TT.
I still carry my old screw-up jacks in my 5'ver...have had them for over 20 years!

Only use them if I will be set up more than a week.

I typically put them directly under the leaf springs just behind the tires when using them.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,444
back to the main topic. How to stabilize your trailer.


I am a heavier guy so my trailer bounced alot. X chocks helped, but the thing that made the trailer solid was JT strong arms. BAL makes a version called SteadyFAST i believe.



one other thing.. if your stairs fold under the door and you experience a lot of bouncing entering and leaving the trailer. The MorRYDE stepAbove elimanate this. Some people don't like them, but they can't argue the physics involved
__________________

__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.


×