Old 09-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer Sway

I have just bought a New 2016 F150 4x4 that has a new aluminum body and I have had lots of sway compared to when I pulled it with a Toyota SUV.

Wondering if the front of the trailer needs to be lowered. The trailer is a 32 ft Salem. There was some heavy winds, but even in areas where it was not bad, still had the sway.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Usually Confused Member

Does the truck have those puny "P" tires? If so that's part of the problem. Upgrade to "E" rated tires.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #3

Not nowing what WDH your using it's difficult to offer much help. Best I can do with no info is to point out that you need to be sure your trailer is level, or better yet, front slightly lower. If your using a WDH with chains, tighten it up one additional link. Perhaps if you post a bit more info, you'll receive some addition suggestions!
I totally agree with changing to LT tires, both on the truck and trailer!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Happy Camper

Just for reference, my truck feels much more stable than the Expedition that I was using before. Like others have said, make sure your WDH is set up properly. You might even want to take it to the dealer and let them check it. And tighten down on that sway bar. It makes a lot of difference.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Just for reference, my truck feels much more stable than the Expedition that I was using before. Like others have said, make sure your WDH is set up properly. You might even want to take it to the dealer and let them check it. And tighten down on that sway bar. It makes a lot of difference.
Maybe not the dealer..... Don't know that too many of them really know how to correctly set up a WDH. U tube, and instruction manual, plus this site is best bet. Often takes some time, but you'll get it figured out.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

I also have the '16 F-150 4x4 SCREW w/ the 3.5 EB. I picked up my new Hemisphere 282RK and had a lot of sway driving it home. The dealer didn't have the WDH dialed in and I didn't have enough air in my tires. My P rated tires have a 116 T load rating with 54 max psi and they only had 38 in them. I added a left side sway control and had super springs installed and now I couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #7

P tires??????????? Omg
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

I hear you. Towed this weekend and had alot more tire wobble than before. Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get LT tires before I tow again.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

yeahh, p tires are like marshmellows when under weight get some LTs, will loose some comfort though. But with a new rig should be ok
Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #10

Trailer Sway

We have a 2016 F150 3.5 eco boost 4x4 with max tow package. We also have trailer sway, that the dealer can't figure out. Did you find out what caused the sway?

Tags
sway, trailer