Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #21

just a stupid thought - no idea if it would work. I have seen adapters that twist onto the drain and have a hose fitting on them for flushing the black tank. what if you put one of these onto the dump fitting and closed off the sewer hose fitting on the adapter. then screw a garden hose into the flush fitting. put a small drill motor pump onto the garden hose and routed the garden hose to the toilet. would this allow you to drain the grey through the flush fitting and pump it into the black through the toilet?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #22

Yes it can be done but don't leave the valves open for extended periods of time. We use a flush king which is simply a clear neck with a rinse adaptor and second blade valve. With the flush King closed you can open the grey first and then the black allowing the fuller grey to backflow into the black. Leaving the valves open could allow black tank fluids to flow the other way which I would avoid. Ours is actually a little different with two grey tanks and one black. Between greys I will leave their respective valves open but when the black is involved, I only open mine for a few seconds and listen for the flow. When it gets quiet I figure the tanks have equalized. Doesn't buy a huge amount but at the very least buys some time and will get up to half of your grey tank back (presuming they are the same capacity and how full your black tank is).

Old 09-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #23

I personally would not risk getting black water into gray tank
Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #24

gray water

From our old popup days (with no holding tanks) I have a colapsable gray water tank with a garden hose fitting that connected to the side of the popup that came directly from the sink drain. I think it holds about 5 gals and takes up very little storage space. I do not remember where I bought it or what to search for to see if these tanks are still available.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #25

Zebra tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
From our old popup days (with no holding tanks) I have a colapsable gray water tank with a garden hose fitting that connected to the side of the popup that came directly from the sink drain. I think it holds about 5 gals and takes up very little storage space. I do not remember where I bought it or what to search for to see if these tanks are still available.
Zebra Gray Water Waste Tank Portable 5 gal 7701
If you search for this or "covered bucket" you will find a colapsible tank that can be connected using garden hose and even add a "Y" to add multiple tanks. You could use these to safely transfer gray water to the black tank via the toilet.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #26
3071DS

Connect this valve to your dump and open gray and black to equalize.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473471325.995140.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	119843

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #27
Crookedread

I have 100 gallons of water, 40 gallons of black water storage and 40 gallons of grey water storage. The grey water gets completely full with the black water less than a third. I put my clear elbow on in an upward bias, and then the cap. Open the grey water valve, then the black water. Watch the grey water run into the black water tank until the flow stops. Quickly close both valves. Remove the clear elbow letting the two cups of grey water fall into a pan. Pour it into the toilet. Go back to enjoying yourself. Takes two minutes. I have been doing this since 2011 with no adverse effects.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
Never Stop Exploring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Since our gray tank fills up so much quicker then the black, is there any way to easily transfer water from the gray tank to black?
I have the 195bh with fairly small tanks and would love to extend the length of gray tank without carrying the portable.
Having the same issue with our 195BH. I think Garrette's comment and pic of the Valtera T58 Twist-On Waste Valve should equalize our gray and black tanks when dry camping. This valve should also stop a potential leak at the gray or black gate valve. Many positive reviews on Amazon. I just ordered mine on E-Bay.

We use our black tank for liquids as much as possible and chemicals in both our gray and black tanks. I don't think there would be any black water odor at the kitchen sink or tub drains when waste water from both tanks are equalized.
ST205/75/R15/D trailer tires
Old 09-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #29
Never Stop Exploring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Since our gray tank fills up so much quicker then the black, is there any way to easily transfer water from the gray tank to black?
I have the 195bh with fairly small tanks and would love to extend the length of gray tank without carrying the portable.
I received the Valtera T58 Twist-On Waste Valve recommended by Garrette and attached it to our 195BH. Should work fine but a couple of issues:

1. The waste valve sticks out a bit far from exterior side panel and even the tire (see photos). A possible problem if something should hit the valve while traveling or backing in a tight space.

2. The valve's bayonet attachment might come loose when traveling. Gorilla tape should keep it in place.

Check out this link for some additional info: Twist On Waste Valve for the RV - Love Your RV Tip

After attaching, the gate valve can be rotated any direction. It should solve equalizing our gray and black tanks but I'm going to attach it only when needed. Will try it out on our next long dry camping trip and give some feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	121338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	121339   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	121340  
ST205/75/R15/D trailer tires
Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM   #30
Head Rambler

I put a 3" screw clamp around the connection of the add-on valve to keep it from rotating. Just a little insurance going down the road.

Closed Thread

Tags
black, tank