Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #31

I'm normally open to trying most anything on here but all this seems like a solution looking for a problem. I'll stick to my blue boy grey water tote, there's a reason manufacturers have separate tanks.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #32

Re manufacturers having reasons for separate tanks. Not always. My setup has two 35 gal grey tanks. The forward tank is fed by the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the tub (three high volume grey water producers). The aft tank is only fed by the outside galley sink and rarely gets filled. A waste of space in terms of capacity. Using the extra cutoff valve allows me to utilize that extra capacity and extend my stay without having to dump. For the record I would love to have a barker or thetford portable but right now it's not in the cards.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #33
Who Dares, Wins

Had a valtera valve for years, never knee it rotated.. Learn something new everyday

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Re manufacturers having reasons for separate tanks. Not always. My setup has two 35 gal grey tanks. The forward tank is fed by the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, and the tub (three high volume grey water producers). The aft tank is only fed by the outside galley sink and rarely gets filled. A waste of space in terms of capacity. Using the extra cutoff valve allows me to utilize that extra capacity and extend my stay without having to dump. For the record I would love to have a barker or thetford portable but right now it's not in the cards.
I understand sharing between grey tanks but not grey and black. I've work in the housing industry for 29 years and I'd say they don't mix grey and black because of p-traps. Get human waste in the grey tank and let the p-traps dry out in storage and you better like a stinky camper. To each his own, as they say...
Old 09-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #35

While I agree with the concerns about mixing grey and black, I'd be more worried about how far that valve is protruding - looks like it is begging to get torn off. . .with the subsequent mess.
Camp4two - is there any way to reinstall so it is more recessed under the trailer?
ProPride Hitch
Old 09-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #36
Never Stop Exploring

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
While I agree with the concerns about mixing grey and black, I'd be more worried about how far that valve is protruding - looks like it is begging to get torn off. . .with the subsequent mess.
Camp4two - is there any way to reinstall so it is more recessed under the trailer?
If your waste pipe is long enough Valtera makes an adapter for their Twist-On Waste valve. But this involves cutting back your waste pipe.

See this Youtube video:
ST205/75/R15/D trailer tires
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #37

Seems like a lot of work. We extended stay with 2 portable tanks. I bought them used on Craigslist. The blue one was $20, and the larger gray one was $45.

These things work great, and are so easy. Doesn't seem worth the hassle, and potential problems to equalize tanks.
But as always...to each their own.
Hope you get your issue solved.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	123149
Old 10-17-2016, 01:00 AM   #38

JUST DUMP THE GREY ON THE GROUND AWAY ENSURING IT DOES NOT RUN INTO A BODY OF WATER AND BE DONE WITH IT.

What is the difference between a tent camper washing dishes outside and taking portable showers outside and dumping grey from an RV? None!

If you are so concerned about the environment, then use low phosphate body and dish soap.

I camp in a semi-arid mountain environment and the trees and bushes love the gray water they receive.

I drain the grey water into a 5 gallon bucket. I often use it to rinse the dirt off of my ATVs and whatever is left goes to feed a tree or bush.

Grey water impact on the environment is negligible and those who think otherwise should consider their tow vehicle's impact instead.

On the subject of grey water, I have a neighbor who drains his washing machine into a sump which then pumps it onto his lawn. He has a very nice lawn.

PS: My grey water does not contain grease. We use disposable forks/spoons and paper plates to conserve water when boondocking.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
That's what I'm taking about. Have you seen this done or point me in a direction for more info?

I have a black tank flush so I accomplish this with a small 12 vt pump from Harbor Freight, a 4" sewer outlet cap with a garden hose output and a couple short lengths of garden hose. Put the adapter on the sewer output. Attach a short hose from there to the pump input, a short hose to the pump output with the other end connected to the tank flush. Turn on the pump but be very careful you don't pump too much. Whole rig cost me about $30 I believe.

I use the same setup with a longer hose to fill my portable grey tank in the back of the truck instead of wrestling with 100 + lbs. of grey water on wheels.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I personally would not risk getting black water into gray tank

Why?

I'm not following exactly what is going on in this thread (I'm still reading)..... but what is so bad about black water in the gray tank? It is all the same plumbing in your house.

Tags
black, tank