Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #21

I am really surprised they don't. I guess they just want to make a few extra bucks selling / installing them.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
2017 Ford F250 XLT 4x2 6.2L 3.73
alarge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #22
Crookedread

My stealth has a red plastic key right under the refrigerator that you turn on or off to disconnect the batteries. Surprised that all models don't have that!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
Good to hear that someone else has this same trailer. So far that is only 3 of us that I know of !!!
I've not found even three, but we love it! No major problems at all.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #24

There is you, me and BrioRick !!! I haven't had any problems -- just a couple of small things but we love ours too -- perfect for 2 people.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 09-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #25
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
Same here. Had no switch, watched a youtube video, purchased a switch, and installed to the Negative post as well. Works perfect! I know there are various types out there. Here are some pics showing the install and the Switch Key I have. Such a time saving gadget. Comes with 2 keys. I keep one hanging in the TT, for easy & quick access, due to the key has to remain in the switch to engage battery, otherwise the battery is disengaged when the key is taken out.
This will work but may not be optimal. Around any lead/acid battery is a fairly hostile environment for metal with corrosive gasses emitted by the battery. So I prefer to keep exposed metal and electrical connections to a minimum inside the battery box.

On my Rockwood 2604 the factory installed a battery cut off switch in the frame cross member under the propane tanks (right in front of the battery box). I added a master circuit breaker next to it. The circuit breaker was an O'Reilly Autoparts item and could also be used as a master battery cut off switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	120174  
Old 09-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Hi, I have been thinking of installing a battery cut off switch on my Wildcat, 5th wheel. The problem I have is that the battery cover on my box comes off, so I can not install a switch on the cover. Can I install one on the away from the box, on the wall? How would I protect it & how would I insulate it? Would it be wired to the negative side of the battery? The reason I want the switch on the outside of the box is encase of a 12 volt fire, you have to disconnect the power to the battery. Looking for an answer.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #27
Coachman 312BHDS

A cutoff switch is a good way to go. They are inexpensive and very simply to install near the battery. I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-B...cut-off+switch
Old 09-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #28

I keep a solar panel plugged in for battery it does the job fine
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #29

Negative lead switch could be dangerous

If you install the switch on your negative lead, you will no longer have power for your breakaway brakes should you forget to turn the switch on while towing.

Maybe your memory is better than mine.

I would feel much more comfortable installing the switch on the positive side and then wiring the breakaway brake power to the battery through a circuit breaker. That way if you forget to turn on the switch while towing, your breakaway brakes will still work.

Just my $0.02
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #30
Coachman 312BHDS

I thought about adding a solar battery minder that won't overcharge. Is that what you have? Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
I keep a solar panel plugged in for battery it does the job fine
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #31

Possible causes for battery drain

Recent perplexing experience with new 2017 FR Vibe brought me new insight on battery drains.

I always follow the manufacturer's guideline of turning off all loads and turning off the Main breaker prior to disconnecting shore power. I have also installed a battery isolation switch to prevent battery drain as I had experienced in my previous RV.

When I went to get my RV out of thr storage area to prep it for a trip on Monday, both batteries were dead! Even hooking up my truck to the electrical tow connection did not provide enough power to move the tongue jack. When my brother-in-law gave me a jump on the trailer battery, which was dead, he swa a spark when he attached the cables to his vehicle. This indicated a load somewhere. After getting a jump to the battery on the RV to use the jack, I got the RV home, and required another jump to jack the trailer off of the hitch. Troubleshooting did not reveal anything.

Today I was looking in the cabinet where the switch for the onboard tv antenna is located and saw that it was on. I turned off the Main power breaker, and the light remained on. This could have been the load that drained my batteries. I am not sure if it contributed, but the on/off switch at the water heater was also left in the on position.

Check these items. They may seem minor, but these vampires will kill your batteries!
Chuck Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #32
Coachman 312BHDS

Not an issue on my TT. One can't operate the electric jack to hitch it up without power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelkol View Post
If you install the switch on your negative lead, you will no longer have power for your breakaway brakes should you forget to turn the switch on while towing.

I would feel much more comfortable installing the switch on the positive side and then wiring the breakaway brake power to the battery through a circuit breaker. That way if you forget to turn on the switch while towing, your breakaway brakes will still work.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #33
Coachman 312BHDS

The CO and fire alerts can be battery drains. Also, clocks on the stereo systems. My battery is good for about two weeks or a little more if the cutoff switch was left on.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
This will work but may not be optimal. Around any lead/acid battery is a fairly hostile environment for metal with corrosive gasses emitted by the battery. So I prefer to keep exposed metal and electrical connections to a minimum inside the battery box.

On my Rockwood 2604 the factory installed a battery cut off switch in the frame cross member under the propane tanks (right in front of the battery box). I added a master circuit breaker next to it. The circuit breaker was an O'Reilly Autoparts item and could also be used as a master battery cut off switch.

I do like the frame mounted switches. This was my initial thought of installing one on the frame, just as yours is, but opted to install the one I did. Thanks, I will definitely keep tabs on the corrosion factor, that you mention, just as a preventative, should I need to rethink placement of my switch.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #35

sorry

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #36

An update... I checked the battery this afternoon and it didn't show any further drain. I will find a suitable disconnect switch and install it before we head out for a camping trip this weekend.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelkol View Post

Just my $0.02
Give that man a see-gar! Mine was wired that way from the factory.

I have a power jack so I would have to turn my switch on, but not everyone does, and you definitely want the breakaway brakes working. For me, it would be too easy to forget to turn the switch on when towing. Not likely, but why risk it.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post

I have a power jack so I would have to turn my switch on....

Same here. I have a power jack as well. So no chance of NOT forgetting to power on the battery when connecting up. Well, okay, maybe!.... And...if I do forget, there is always someone in the background telling me "I DID FORGET", or, "I TOLD YOU SO"! So, I'm good!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #39

I put a cut off switch on our 16 26tbud. Without it the battery would die within two days.
5OHcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Not an issue on my TT. One can't operate the electric jack to hitch it up without power.

Exactly! I always install the cutoff on the negative side as I want EVERYTHING off, plus it is just easier. But I understand a lot of folks over think stuff
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain