Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #1

Vornado MVH heater

Has anyone ever used a Vornado space heater in their trailer? We just purchased to use in our 272RLIS and while reading the manual, it's reads as follows. " DO NOT use this heater in an RV, a boat, or any application where a DC/AC converter is converting battery power to AC power."

If I'm plugged into 30 amp power, and using the heater at medium power at 1150 watts shouldn't I be fine?

I also don't want to blow up my new trailer. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Pikeplace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Campfire Master

First...welcome! Glad you're here.

You'll be fine. Just keep an eye on how much power you use, or you will pop the breaker. We have been using that same heater for years.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeplace19 View Post
Has anyone ever used a Vornado space heater in their trailer? We just purchased to use in our 272RLIS and while reading the manual, it's reads as follows. " DO NOT use this heater in an RV, a boat, or any application where a DC/AC converter is converting battery power to AC power."

If I'm plugged into 30 amp power, and using the heater at medium power at 1150 watts shouldn't I be fine?

I also don't want to blow up my new trailer. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hmm, interesting choice of terminology from Vornado. An "inverter" is the technical term for changing 12 volt DC (battery power) to 120 volt AC power

A "converter" does the opposite and converts 120 volt AC power to 12 volt DC.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

About all RV's have a converter to power the 12 volt things like lights, pumps, fans, detectors, etc......so when you are connected to 120 volt shore power the converter powers the 12 volt stuff instead of running from and discharging the battery.

However, usually only motorhomes and RV's with large battery banks have an actual inverter to take power form the battery(ies) and invert it to 120 volt AC to power things that operate off of 120 volt AC.

Are you positive that Vornado said converter, instead of inverter? Even if so, they confused the terminology a little, but still stated what needed to be said. As long as you are running it from the 120 volt plugins in your RV, and are on a form of 120 volt shore power, you will be fine as long as you don't overload the individual circuit that it is on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_inverter

I can understand the warning, as an electric heater can zap batteries fairly quick, if operated from an inverter and could also use more watts than a lot of inverters are rated for.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Here is another current thread that may also be of help in figuring out wattages and circuit stuff from using a space heater:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-97398.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

First off, thanks for the help everyone!

I am positive the manual said converter.

I'm not planning on running much more than just the space heater. Of course a few lights and the tv and fridge.

It's good to know others have used this before with no problems.
Pikeplace19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeplace19 View Post
First off, thanks for the help everyone!

I am positive the manual said converter.

I'm not planning on running much more than just the space heater. Of course a few lights and the tv and fridge.

It's good to know others have used this before with no problems.
I actually use a Vornado, albeit a different model. I just checked their website owners manual and you are correct, they did say converter, which is technically not the best choice of terminology on their part.....since RV'ers use converters and inverters....and mean two different things.

I also sent you a private message, if you haven't used that part of the site before.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask any questions you may have. It's better to learn and make sure before something wrong occurs.

Tags
heater