Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Walk thru advice/help

Good Morning !
We've just purchased a 181 bhxl and will be doing our walk thru shortly!!!
This is our first trailer purchase and we are thrilled. Can someone recommend
key points to a walk thru or refer to a checklist or something please?

My husband and I can see obvious things.....its all the little things to look for.
Please HELP!

Thank you in Advance!
MrsTish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Open and close every door and drawer
Turn everything on and off
Request the Fridge be turned on in advance, check fridge and freezer
Ask that it be hooked up to water, check hot water tank
Run every faucet hot and cold
Run every slide in and out
If you have power levelers / jacks run them in and out
If you have a remote use it to run everything it controls in and out
Turn the TVs on verify static
Turn stereo on in all rooms check speakers
Light stove burners
Awning in and out
Before leaving verify that you have the correct power cord for your amps

Make sure the dealer notes any issues and schedule repairs as needed.
Thats about all I can think of.
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

oh both AC and Heat
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Light oven pilot, dial up the temp and see if it's still going after 15 min. Our Suburban oven would light pilot, light burner and go out after 5 min including pilot light. Needed new pilot light assembly installed.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #5

My recommendations would be have them show how to manually operate all power equipment in case of failure such as jacks and slides.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #6

Make sure they have filled and EMPTIED all of the water tanks and shut the gate valves on the black and grey tanks! In a previous camper that we owned I had dealer fill all the tanks and the fresh water tank bracket broke and the tank was pushing thru the RV under belly.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
My recommendations would be have them show how to manually operate all power equipment in case of failure such as jacks and slides.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB

Yup. Also, make sure there is a way to GET AT THE MANUAL CRANK.
One of my slides, didn't have a hole to put the crank through... It's like they forgot to drill the hole...

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Team

One more suggestion:
Do not let your excitement cloud your better judgement. Do your walk thru BEFORE you sign anything. If you find issues that need repair, tell the dealer that you will be back to sign paperwork and pick it up once they are corrected. Dealers do not make out well on warranty work and it will sit on lot while they work on paid repairs unless they have other motivation ( aka getting paid for unit) . There are some good dealers out there, but they are somewhat rare. You are buying this RV to camp and enjoy, you can not do that if it is sitting on the dealers lot waiting for repair. Do not accept " just sign and take it and you can bring it back and we will fix what is needed".

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Lay on the bed, stand in the shower, sit on all the chairs, couches, stools, benches, etc... including the toilet to make sure they are all comfortable. I've heard many people complain about at least one of those things *after* they bought the trailer.

Also have them go through the winterization process if you plan on doing it yourself. Have them show you where the water heater bypass valves are.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Take notes and write it down. Don't let them rush you thru it and if you don't understand, have them explain it until you do.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Wait till next year...

Flybob's advice "Do not let your excitement cloud your better judgement" should be the number 1 golden rule on any PDI
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

YOU operate everything. Let them show you how but don't let them do it. Doing it is how you'll remember. Also take videos as necessary.
Kbryant099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #13

Due to my personal experience in taking delivery of my last TT, take your own tire pressure gauge with you and check each tire AFTER your PDI guide shows you on the list that they had been checked. If you find as I did, that the tires don't have anywhere near the right pressure, it will let the guy know you will be checking everything else and they better be as shown on the list.
The PDI I was presented, said the tires had 65 psi and had just been checked. Like a fool and wanting to get out of the rain, I believed him. Long story short, I drove 250 miles before I finally stopped to check them as it was NOT riding well. If it hadn't been raining to keep them cooled down, I probably would have popped all 4.
Make them show you everything on the list as the devil is in the details. You won't get another first chance.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Do not hand over the final cash until everything works to your satisfaction. Do not let them tell you to bring it back under warranty. Be prepared to either come back another day or walk away altogether if necessary. As others have said, if it turns on or off, opens or closes you want it demonstrates and you return the demo. Video the whole pdi. Have them show you (not just tell you) how to winterize and dewinterize. Learn where your water heater, water pump, low point drains etc are. Check all caulking, the roof, look for any sign of water intrusion. Look at little things too like screws and nails. We found a overhead cabinet coming apart. Make sure lights, tv's, radio's, etc work. Light the stove and oven. Boil a cup of water in the microwave. Our microwave ran but didn't heat. Check to make sure all doors and slides line up properly and operate properly. There is a pdi list in the forum library you can look at. Also, you have a roundhouse so if you have kids, get a babysitter do they don't distract you. If they must come, set them up with a movie or something while doing your pdi. Look into forest river second year factory warranty (also in forum library) before buying an extended warranty. Finally, don't forget to have fun!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #15

Many folks like to tape record, video the walk thru so as to remember all the STUFF then tell you.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

I purposefully viewed the actual TT we were buying in HEAVY rains so that I could personally verify there were no leaks. A new one (same model as ours) was leaking badly whereas the used one I eventually bought was bone dry. (Salesperson verified all windows & skylights were shut but a steady stream ran across the dinette floor - probably a bad slide seal...)

I spent about 2 hours checking our TT out BEFORE making an offer. I took a screwdriver & looked behind EVERY access panel with a flashlight for signs of prior leaks, etc. I especially checked the pump & water lines inside for signs of leaks. I made a list of everything I wanted them to address (mostly cosmetic - loose trim or cabinet doors)...

In addition to those repairs, the dealer performed a pressurized leak test & re-caulking while we setup financing. When we arrived for the PDI they were still caulking & adjusting the awning so that it would fully retract. They also adjusted both slides - said the cables were a little slack - good to know because I thought the slides worked fine...

We videotaped the 2.5 hour PDI. They filled all tanks to check for leaks. They ran everything gas, 12V & 110V. They replaced the CO2 detector & filled the propane tanks. They also showed us how to retract the slides using a cordless drill & (provided) adapter. While we were at the PDI another mechanic installed our Equalizer 4 WDH & by the end of the PDI they showed us how to hookup & adjust the WDH (which we never had to do - they got it right).

Two summers later we have not had any serious issues not caused by me. (I bent & replaced a rim... I lost my balance & tore-off a cabinet door... After a few bad connections at State Parks I had to replace the 30A male connector - but everything so far has been easy DIY fixes...)

We paid about the same for our used TT at the dealer as folks were asking on Craigslist, etc. However, the dealer included the pressurized test & re-caulking, slide cable & awning adjustments, 2.5 hour PDI, FREE Equalizer 4 WDH & WDH setup, plus some store credit for supplies - all within our sale price.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #17

Make sure your phone is charged well. I close up recorded every instruction and asked questions at the same time. Not all switches are marked well. Ask those questions on video. Photograph up close, hands and equipment. You don't need to get whole people, this is for later reference. I have about 25 short videos from my walk thru. How to operate this and that. Where things are located. The on/off position of switches and what they are for. Everything. Believe me, you will want those videos later. If I put mine all together, they would make a great how to movie. That's what you want. Each video short and sweet and up close with volume up. Ask questions!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #18
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Don't sign the papers until you have the walk through and get in writing anything that needs adjustment or repair.

We took videos of the water heater by pass procedure and how to manually extend/retract the slide and power jacks and tongue.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #19

Thank you Everyone for your fabulous tips !!! Hubby and I have printed it all out and are scheduled to do our walk thru Thursday am SO excited.....both phones will be charged and ready !

Thanks again !!!
MrsTish is offline   Reply With Quote