Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Warranty on a less than a year old

I bought my TT mid summer last year used it for a few months. Found several issues so scheduled to have repairs fixed over the winter months. After many back and forth between the dealer and Forest River. I now owe $200+ to have issues fixed that sould have never left the factory.
There were 2 perticular items that FR don't want to pay full price for the repairs.
1. The were bumps in the wall of the slide by the window, like the plywood heaved behind the wall paper. They gave 1 hour to remove and replace and it took 3 hours. Take into consideration this was at the corner of the slide so moldings needed to be carefully removed and replaced.
2. The drawer under the couch was missing slide supports which lead to missaligned drawer. They only said they'll fix the miss alignment.
How does that make sense? To fix the damage but not the problem.

Can anyone help me find the right person at Forrest River warranty to help make sense of there reasoning.

Regards

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app
Bobf074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you talked directly with FR or is this what the dealer said?

Also sounds like your dealer didn't tell you about the 2nd year FR factory warranty for only $150.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #3

Who do i talk to at FR ?
As for the second year warranty, no the dealer didn't tell me about it. I found out about it thru here. But thats not the issue I'm still in my first year.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

Here is a link to the FR factory contact list from the Library.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=166

It sounds like this issue is between the dealer and the factory. It shouldn't be your problem that they can't agree on the time/cost for a warranty job. Did the dealer tell you ahead of time that you would be on the hook for these extra charges?

I'd take your case to FR and see what they say. This wouldn't be the first time a dealer was lazy or incompetent and didn't properly submit justification for warranty claims.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Team

If the dealer failed to inform you of the $150 2nd year factory warranty, I wouldn't trust anything they told you.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

not to steal your thunder but someone else in another forum also mentioned that they contacted the head of FR and got the service they deserved. I too am looking for a contact because items which were supposed to be on the trailer were not according to the item posted as being purchased, and some things were damaged - but not picked up in the delivery check when the unit arrived at the dealership.

things like chips in the bathroom counter top.
the FR warranty contact i have is pretty much useless and came out telling me the dealership missed the damage and missing items so perhaps it was them who inflicted the damage before you took ownership.

I like you, would love to be able to discuss with someone who sees value in reasoning with the customer.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Bobfo74 has a "Salem Unit" that is what we need to focus on,lets NOT Piggyback! Gets way out of hand! Youroo!! Yes he needs to Contact Salem Div of F/R!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobf074 View Post
I bought my TT mid summer last year used it for a few months. Found several issues so scheduled to have repairs fixed over the winter months. After many back and forth between the dealer and Forest River. I now owe $200+ to have issues fixed that sould have never left the factory.
There were 2 perticular items that FR don't want to pay full price for the repairs.
1. The were bumps in the wall of the slide by the window, like the plywood heaved behind the wall paper. They gave 1 hour to remove and replace and it took 3 hours. Take into consideration this was at the corner of the slide so moldings needed to be carefully removed and replaced.
2. The drawer under the couch was missing slide supports which lead to missaligned drawer. They only said they'll fix the miss alignment.
How does that make sense? To fix the damage but not the problem.

Can anyone help me find the right person at Forrest River warranty to help make sense of there reasoning.

Regards

Forest River warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. They will
Lead you around from person to person and then say sorry a hundred times they understand how you feel and then state sorry nothing we can do for you.
After speaking with several people about FR on my issues all said same thing become a handyman and fix your own issues as FR won't do it. I plan on fixing mine then selling it just to be rid of this worthless company forever.
AJAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #9

Dale

Contact Henry Sears Warranty Manager at Forest River. They will take care of it but it will not be fast.
Good Luck,
Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It sounds as if the dealer is trying to make you pay for their shortcomings.
If it took 3 hours instead of 1 that is THEIR fault not yours no matter how many delicate moldings needed to be removed and replaced.

If you did not agree (prior) to pay for any labor/parts above and beyond what warranty covers, it is not your responsibility.

Pick up your rig and find another dealer for future service.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

Let me clarify any negativity. I love my unit. I did alot of research and its what i expected for the price i paid. But when getting a brand new unit, things should be right and operate correctly. Thats what i expect. The few items that didn't should be fixed at FR expense not mine.
I didn't caused the issues. It was simple because they were over looked during construction and factory inspection.
Im in contact with Salem, i will update yall how it turns out.
For those of you who bash FR, why are you still contrubuting to this forum. Move your negitivity along. All companies have there issues, unless you getting a unit customed built and your on site everyday make sure things are done your way no company will build a perfect unit.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

Dale

I so agree with your last post Bob. I have been rving for over 40 years. I will try to condense my story, also in the last Trailer Life. Have owned 9Rv's, and hada few problems with each one, 1 a Cardinal, and my current 1 is a 2009 Cedar Creek 5 slide that I bought used. Put new tires on this year in May, asked them to check brakes and check the lifetime Lippert sealed bearings. All 4 bearing were shot. Had sent and e-mail to FR, no reply. Then contacted Lippert, whi I think should have paid for everything ( Lifetime yes right.} They would pay for 1 axel and I had to pay for 2nd one shipping, and labor. Didn't seem fair to me. So I contacted Henry Sears at Forest River who is in charge of warranties for like 25 companies that FR owns. He said they would take care of it if they could not get Lippert to. Which they did do but took till December to get a check for the full amount.. Stay at you will get. I think your problem is you dealer.
Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Just a reminder. Talk about lawyers and claims are prohibited on the site.

In most cases these items are solved without the court system and then we are asked to go back and delete all the negative stuff that was said.

Worse, if the dispute does go to court, there is nearly always a condition in the settlement that anything negative posted must be removed.

Having been there; and let me tell you it is not worth our volunteer's time to spend weeks tracking down and editing these posts.

As to your water damage, my take:

Water damage is always problematic because even a new camper can get a leak when roof maintenance is not done according to the manual. Rubber roof membrane must be inspected and any open joints caulked at the beginning of the season and at the end.

It is especially important that in the first month a new roof be inspected and caulked because the soft lap sealant can settle into cracks and, depending on the size of the gap, leave an opening allowing water to enter.

Trying to convince any manufacturer that water damage due to leakage was their fault will always be difficult regardless of who made it. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual - Roof Inspection.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	128351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual - Roof Inspection 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	128352  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #14

Salems are regional specific, you need to call the service number associated with the factory where it was made. I have a 2005 Cardinal for which I just renewed my service contract with US Warranty for another four years. Covers everything on the rig with $100 deductible ($1,070 for 4 years). Great company.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #15

I bought a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express last fall, can I get a 2nd year warranty? My dealer didn't mention anything about it. Thanks
stevegotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Site Team

Coachmen does not offer a second year warranty. Coachmen only offered a one year warranty when they were acquired by FR and they retained that policy. On a positive note, I have not had any issues in my 2+ year old Freedom Express.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegotl View Post
I bought a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express last fall, can I get a 2nd year warranty? My dealer didn't mention anything about it. Thanks
As Flybob said, no 2nd year FR warranty for Coachmen products.
Nor for the other Recession acquisition companies- Dynamax, Prime Time, Viking and Shasta.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:31 AM   #18

Hmmm, my two cents worth...Forest River warranty for 1 year...does not dictate time to repair. We also took delivery 7.23.16, out only two times, as we are newbies and needed to get everything and learn a bit before taking off. 37 ft cardinal...nice and heavy. We found some little problems, but our dealer FUNTIME RV TUALATIN, OR is a reputable dealer and we coordinated for after Christmas,,,and then delayed due to snow. Ice, and freezing rain. Their Service Manager has our list, got the fender in, has list we gave him and is taking care of us. I agree with guys above...push that dealer to perform. Good luck ��
heiseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #19

Just an observation.

These type of threads seem to turn into a barnyard of horse poopage.

The OP did not list his brand in his original post or show it in his profile. Not until Youroo posted in post #7 was Salem mentioned. Then people start throwing out this name and that name of people at Forest River. I have found I get much better service if I contact the warranty Dept at Rockwood for my Roo, than if I contact Dynamax or Primetime? I don't know who Henry Sears is but the contact people for Salem service are listed on the Salem website. Three different people for three different regions. Henry is not one of them?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #20

Agree that People need to supply "INFO on Unit" they are asking about! Asking for Help about a "Travel Trailer" opens up "Flood Gates" of Useless replies! I have a Car,what color is it and what spark plug is required? Youroo!!

Tags
warranty