Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Water filter or bottled water??

New TT owner here and preparing for first outing. Is there a need for a water filter on your city water hookup? Would this make if safe for drinking and cooking? I've heard to only rely on bottled water for drinking. Below is an example, do I need this?

TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter - Camco 40043 - Water Filtration - Camping World

Old 08-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

I think it's mostly a personal preference, but any water that is not boiled and consumed is bottled or taken from our tap at home. While on the road, we do not trust any water source and usually carry bottled water. If cooking or boiling that water, we do not care so much.

2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

You can use this if your unit is not equipped with an inboard filtration system.
Definitely need a filter though...to remove chlorine taste and possible sand or sediments in water.
After that, drink as much as you want, no need for bottled water.
That's the way I do it.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

I removed and bypassed the filter that came with our TT. It was located where you had to stand on your head to work on it. I am now able to mount it on my bumper during setup. I only use it as a sediment filter to keep grit out of the lines. We find that our intestinal tract does much better on water brought from home for drinking and cooking. We have gallon jugs that we refill from our filter at home and when that is gone we purchase more gallons at a store. We also use small litre bottles for drinking. That's just us. My taste buds are ultra sensitive to chlorine and even with a good filter I can sometimes taste it. Nothing worse than chlorine coffee!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

We use bottle water for drinking and cooking, but water hookups for shower. Don't forget the pressure regulator for city hookup.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

I was somewhat careless until I saw a dog leaving his mark right on the tap, since then bottled water for drinking from home, or store bought when on long trips.
Plus I spray Lysol on and inside the tap before I hook up the hose.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

For drinking, coffee and tea we bring water from home (well water) or use bottled. It isn't out of safety concerns about the water system in the trailer but for taste. No matter how old the piping is the water still has a vinyl/plastic taste to me. Due to this we only use the on board system, water tank or city supply, for washing and cleaning.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
For drinking, coffee and tea we bring water from home (well water) or use bottled. It isn't out of safety concerns about the water system in the trailer but for taste. No matter how old the piping is the water still has a vinyl/plastic taste to me. Due to this we only use the on board system, water tank or city supply, for washing and cleaning.

X2. We have a filter on outside of our trailer that we put between hose and water pressure valve. Currently using the newer pressure valve (50/55 lbs. with orange connector ring) vice older pressure valve (40 lbs with blue connector ring). We have a new trailer and this does make a difference when showering and cleaning dishes.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #9

I filter the water going in to the FWT to keep sediment out of the system.

If I was to drink it I would use a PUR or other brand filter on the faucet.

We do use bottled water for coffee and tea, very little food gets boiled because I use a grill for most of the cooking.

Your unit, your water, your call!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We use the factory installed water filter and drink right from the tap.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Tags
led, water, water filter