Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

water heater setting

My salem cruise lite 195BH does not have water heater temperature setting.
The attached is the only control I see. That is, on/off switch.
Will the water heater turn off automatically when the water gets hot enough ? I'm just afraid that the gas/fire will just turn on indefinitely and burn the tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	99874  
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

The water temp is not adjustable. It is fixed. I will go look up the temp as I don't recall off hand.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

Most water heaters have a gas valve that has an adjustment on it for temp control. Look at the actual water heater and see if there isn't a control usually with a blue know on the gas valve.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most water heaters have a gas valve that has an adjustment on it for temp control. Look at the actual water heater and see if there isn't a control usually with a blue know on the gas valve.

That's certainly different. I've never seen an RV water heater with a gas knob for temp control. All I've ever seen are as Flybob described.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
that would be correct for a gas water heater in a home. Not in a RV. It's either on or off
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
that would be correct for a gas water heater in a home. Not in a RV. It's either on or off
X2 ~~ 1 temp, just HOT.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Will the water heater turn off automatically when the water gets hot enough ? I'm just afraid that the gas/fire will just turn on indefinitely and burn the tank

We have the 171rbxl Salem Cruise Lite, also a smaller TT, And I'm assuming the water heaters are the same on both of our units. I went and looked at ours, and NO there is not a temperature setting, just fixed. I didn't think there was, but you never know.... upgrades might have been made. Would have been a nice upgrade though.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
Pawntan, you have a Suburban water heater, and the control you have in the pic is to turn on/off the DSI (direct spark ignitor) for the propane.

Suburban water heaters have a non-adjustable thermostat that is preset for a certain temperature. if you want to change the temperature, you have to replace the entire hi-limit ECO thermostat. I believe Suburban makes three different temp thermostats. When the water reaches the temp, then the thermostat cuts power so the propane does not continue to burn.

Also, you may possibly have a water heater that also has an electric heating element as another possible source of heating (but you will have to check to see). If so then you have a second switch which is on the face of the water heater, to turn this electric heating element on. However, even with a second heating source, the thermostats still control the temperatures, and won't make the water hotter.

This FAQ may help explain it ALL better...and let you see if you have an electric heating element too.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Just A Member

I bought a adjustable thermostat for mine which is a Atwood. They sell them and it's a quick easy fix. There are 2 rheostats on the water heater one for temp and one for max cutoff temp.
Just replaced the temp one with a adjustable one. Here is a link

https://www.rvsupplyparts.com/catalo...tat-10790.html
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

I have the 195bh, it's a non adjustable propane only water heater. But it doesn't stay lit the entire time, once it gets the water up to the pre-set temp (which is pretty hot) the fire goes out and automatically comes back on when it drops below a certain temp, but it can stay off for a while so it doesn't use much gas.
I've had unit for a couple years and this setup works fine for me. Although I usually leave it turned off while camping and just flip it on 15 minutes before needing hot water. But I just do that to ensure I'm not wasting propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater