Old 08-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Get er done

Got a call this morning from the service folks at Daves Claremore RV with the news that Forest River has agreed that there is a problem with our slideout wall and that they have okayed replacing the wall and fixing the seal tape on top of both slides.
The work will be done at Daves RV as soon as they can get a wall built and shipped to Daves.
This all sounds like a good deal to us. Glad the trailer will not have to back to Indiana and they are thinking that it will be completed before we head out in early October for a 4 week trip.
Thanks to Dave Carter, the service dept. and all the other folks at Daves for ALL that they do.

BOB

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

Delamination Follow up

Was at Daves RV today and asked about any update on getting the new wall for our delamination issue.

I was told..."They are not sending a new wall because it would be too big to ship.....and they are sending the skin material for them to replace here in Daves RD shop"

I thought I had a real warm fuzzy feeling about getting the wall replaced and now I'm not so sure.

Was also told that the wall fix would be covered under the original warranty...but it will run out before we get the trailer back from the shop.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiance with getting a wall "reskinned"?

Thanks for any and all input.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #13

I really don't know what to tell you. That just doesn't sound right.
I think I would try to get the wall replaced if it was me. If I understand the process correctly, these walls are suppose to be vacuum bonded. There is a process where they roll the laminated walls to create the bond, but I believe this method is one that has alot of delamination issues.
I would contact FR and see if they'll take it back to the factory for proper repair, replacement of all water damaged walls. It may mean delaying your trip in October, but at least you'll have a properly repaired trailer.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Was at Daves RV today and asked about any update on getting the new wall for our delamination issue.

I was told..."They are not sending a new wall because it would be too big to ship.....and they are sending the skin material for them to replace here in Daves RD shop"

I thought I had a real warm fuzzy feeling about getting the wall replaced and now I'm not so sure.

Was also told that the wall fix would be covered under the original warranty...but it will run out before we get the trailer back from the shop.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiance with getting a wall "reskinned"?

Thanks for any and all input.
From what I understand all fibreglass walls are either pinch rolled or vacuum bonded. I suppose a wall could be reskinned by clamping the fibreglass to the wall assembly.

I would stop the leak for now, go on the trip and get it shipped back to the factory for replacement of the walls when you return.

How big is your slide? I had this very same issue. Out of warranty, forest river sent the back of my slide up to Canada and the dealer replaced it. It was approx. 7 feet by 5 feet? (guesstimate...)

My dealer was my best friend in helping me get this problem fixed...

good luck,
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

That looks very much like water invasion, and there is no real fix, other than replace. I don't know many dealers with a shop that can replace that. Since it is under warranty, I would demand it go back to the factory. It shouldn't ne that hard as campers are brought in by private one ton trucks, and they get paid per mile while towing. I'm sure they would love to grab one and go back getting paid, instead of running empty on their own time and fuel.

I would demand it go back or be replace. If no satisfaction, call the insurance people and get their opinion/pressure.

Lastly, as far as I know, the owner id not required to caulk or reseal for the first year. After that must provide receipts for materials used to maintain the trailer.

Windrider
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #16

Thanks guys.....Everyone is thinking like I am on this one.

Thinking I'll be busy on the phone tomorrow morning trying to get a better answer.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #17

I agree with the others, and re-skinning is just a patch job, at best. The whole wall will be wet, insulation and all. And that means that the inside wall is ready to get that "rash" another poster mentioned.
And what's with that sealing tape on the slide roof? I thought the factory was using Eternabond tape, but it looks like some cheap Chinese knock-off crap. That's unbelievable on that new of a trailer.

I just finished fixing yet another one of my day/night shades. Turns out the assembly worker in China forgot to string it properly. The last one I fixed they buggered up one of the grommets that is supposed to keep the strings from chaffing, and it cut one of the strings in no time.

Yup, its great to have so much of our new campers sourced from the lowest-priced supplier! Who cares about quality or workmanship!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #18

Hi Broken Arrow Bob! I am from your neck of the woods also! Almost bought a trailer from Dave's but the exact one I wanted was at RT 66 so I purchased from them.

We chose a fiberglass trailer because I belived it would be much more "water resistant". After reading this thread I am starting to worry a little! It sounds like maybe the issue is with the slide sealing?
Which leads to my question...I have been noticing that a lot of campers sitting in yards appear to be sitting with the slides out. Are they storing them that way or does it just happen to be that every one I saw on my way out of town last Friday had them open in preparation to use them?
I am totally new at this so please forgive my dumb questions.
I am hoping for the best for you and your trailer. I will be anxious to hear what happens!
Brandi
Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #19

Hi Brandi...and welcome to the forum. We are sure our trailer is going to get fixed right...it may just take a little time.
If you bought a Forest River trailer WELCOME to FROG...Forest River Owners Group.
We store our trailer at a mini storage lot and keep the slides closed when in storage. We will bring the trailer home 3 or 4 days before we head out on a trip and will mostly have the slides open to get everything loaded up.

We'll keep everyone up to date with our issues...and...there are no dumb questions here. We all learn every day.

BOB
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #20

Good news

Heard from our dealer service dept today. Salem warranty folks have decided..."YES WE WILL REPLACE THE DELAMINATED WALL".....after our October trip.

Between now and Saturday they will replace the wrinkled tape on top of both slides with Eternabond and we should be good to go until Salem can ship a wall or decide to take the trailer back to the factory, and we will be able to leave on our trip on time.

Thanks to Salems warranty dept and big thanks to DAVES RV CLAREMORE for all of their help.

Have plans to meet fellow FROG folks from the Branson Rally...Jerry and Ann Johnson in Charlotte area as we go thru.