Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

what a great year, ending it with a trip to Fort Wilderness

so we bought it new last year 261BHXL and had a great summer with it doing local trips. Learned a lot that first year. This year we did most of the big state parks here in Indiana and for labor day weekend we took a 565 mile trip one way to Tahquamenon Falls in the UP, such a beautiful place and very quiet. Longest road trip with trailer and it went very well, so well in fact that next week we are heading south. Orlando to fort wilderness. we are all very excited and cant wait. I have seen some of you post about that place and wanted to see if anyone has some info on how to make it a great week. I did just buy a spare tire for this trip and mounted it on the back bumper. Thought with going just close to 1000 miles one way I might need it.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #2

should be fun the spare tire is a good idea
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Always Learning

First, do you have Fort Wilderness reservations already?

Second, I'd recommend a couple of Disney forums:
http://theworldandmore.freeforums.net

And one that is Fort-specific:
http://www.fortfiends.net/
Old 11-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
First, do you have Fort Wilderness reservations already?

Second, I'd recommend a couple of Disney forums:
Home | Theworldandmore

And one that is Fort-specific:
Forums - Fort Fiends
yes we do have reservations,( we have been planning this trip for two years and its finally here) and thanks for the different sites ill be sure to check them out.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

2015 3170DS
Explore the entire resort using the busses, boats, monorails, it's fun. Each resort has a bar (or two) in case you're thirsty. Watch the nightly fireworks from the beach. If you like critters, go to Animal Kingdom Lodge. You can go through the lobby and see wild critters on the Savanna out in back. There's a nice little bar at the pool.
You will have a wonderful time.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #6

We rented a gulf cart to get around the park in. If was semi expensive but well worth it. To go to Magic Kingdom, just drive down to the beach and take the fairy over to there and
you walk right in. Sweet. We love Disney and hope to go back.
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
New:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble007 View Post
so we bought it new last year 261BHXL and had a great summer with it doing local trips. Learned a lot that first year. This year we did most of the big state parks here in Indiana and for labor day weekend we took a 565 mile trip one way to Tahquamenon Falls in the UP, such a beautiful place and very quiet. Longest road trip with trailer and it went very well, so well in fact that next week we are heading south. Orlando to fort wilderness. we are all very excited and cant wait. I have seen some of you post about that place and wanted to see if anyone has some info on how to make it a great week. I did just buy a spare tire for this trip and mounted it on the back bumper. Thought with going just close to 1000 miles one way I might need it.
I live in Central Florida so that being said, I did my breakin for my new RV at both Lake Louisa State Park on US27 and Fort Wilderness.
Fort Wilderness is a great campground. It is quiet for being off a theme park(minus the nightly fireworks). Great place to bike ride or long walks.
If you have little ones, bring stuff to make smores. They have nightly movies and fire pits to make them.
The pools are great and heated. Both pools have hot tubs for the adults.
There is a nightly automatic water parade that has been running for years..
You can also find a comfy seat or bring one to the beach for the nightly fireworks show.
One of the best places to watch it.
Recently I did the Hoop-dee-doo review. Was a fun show and pretty good food. But like most Disney things it was pricey.
If you have pets, they have loops for that, Bring a coax cable to connect to the cable, I did that and the kids loved being able to sit outside and watch Disney Cartoons and play with the neighbor kids.
I took my father and mother who were in their late 70's then said it was their favorite campground and I hope to take them back again soon!
Be safe, enjoy your stay, and if you run into any issues at Fort Wilderness, the staff will bend over backwards to make you happy! I have learned with Disney the nice guest gets the best treatments.
Have a Safe Trip and Happy Camping!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

We live in Orlando and go to the Fort for our annual church campout the first weekend in November. It was great this year -perfect weather. Some things you might need to know:

1. Reserve a golf cart in advance; they can go quickly. With a little walking, you can get to the bus stops and they'll take you everywhere, but they will take longer. You can park your golf cart most places you want to go, but nowhere to park your car other than at your site. We actually own our own cart and take it out each year.

2. Disney does not allow campfires per se. You can have a fire in a Disney approved fire pit. That means it has to have a full enclosure on the sides and a SOLID lid.

3. When you enter, they should give you Magic Bands for all your party. After 10:00 PM, you'all need those bands to get into the restrooms/bathhouses.

4. They now have their WiFi up and running through the campground and it works quite well.

5. By taking a bus down to The Landing, you can catch boats to all the parks and resorts. We have dinner one night every year at Whispering Canyon in the Wilderness Lodge. Great food and fun for couples and families. You can also find the Trail's End restaurant at the Landing, as well as Mickey's BBQ Dinner Show. On weekends, Trail's End is a brunch buffet, breakfast buffet and lunch menu during the week, dinner buffet every night. Quite good.

6. If you have a dog, be sure they know before you get there. There are only five loops that allow dogs and they'll need to put you in one of those.

7. Bring your insect repellant!!! I got eaten alive! They ran out before we checked in the first day, but they were actually handing out repellant to campers as they arrived.

8. All sites are backin, so be prepared. If you have a toad, there is a pull off on the main drive after you check in to hook and unhook before getting into the loops. If you have a trailer other than an RV, they'll gave you drop it in the overflow parking lot so be sure you gave a lock for it. You don't need much security, just enough to keep honest folks honest. Everyone leaving the campground in a vehicle is required to stop at a gate. You may not notice it, but there's a camera to observe you and take a picture of who is driving and what they're taking out.

All in all, fantastic place. Extremely clean, helpful staff, super quiet at night and dark enough to know you're really camping. Lots of family activities. Go to the Landing to see fireworks each evening but get there early and bring a seat with you.

Have fun - the weather right now us wonderful, mid and upper 70's for a high and upper 50's at night, sunshine and light breezes. Drive safe!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #9

We went in April and loved it, if you are in a preferred site it's just a short walk to the ferry which is the best way to access the Magic Kingdom, eliminating the monorail. Have a great time
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

We were at Ft. Wilderness Nov 6 thru Nov 14 at a preferred site. Great place, campground is huge so the golf cart recommendation is a good idea. Ditto on most suggestions, as for the insects NO problem at all. Didn't use bug spray ever.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #11

Also if you have a dog make sure you bring shot records. They are required.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 AM   #12

Not sure what Tfort is referring to regarding dog shot records. We have a pup and no one asked for anything of that nature.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

I have been there 5 times this year and they have asked almost every time. They are supposed to ask even though not all of them do. It is still required and if you are not a local than it can be a big pain if caught by surprise.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

In all the years we've visited, we've never been asked for the dog's records. However, if you plan to board your dog while staying there, they do definitely require the records for that.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote