Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

What Power Converter Model in the 286RL

Does anyone know what model power converter is used in the 286RL 5th wheels? Is it the WFCO 8955 that is so widely used and doesn't bulk charge?
RobH063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

You will find when it comes to equipment installed by the MFG two rigs of the same model may have different equipment installed. The only way to find out is to actually look at the rig and the converter. I know this wasn't any help but now you know.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

The make and model number should be on a label inside the power distribution (breaker) panel.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

My new 5th wheel is on order. I thought if I knew in advance, I could begin shopping but I guess I'll have to wait
Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #5

I know the model number for the converter is on the front as you drop the power panel door. My 5vr is 150mi away right or I'd look. What do you mean by bulk charge?

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by litgrep View Post
I know the model number for the converter is on the front as you drop the power panel door. My 5vr is 150mi away right or I'd look. What do you mean by bulk charge?
There's three stages of charging when using a smart charger like what comes in newer campers. Bulk charge, Absorption Charge and Float charge. Probably easier to just post a link that explains each of the stages. https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/3-...-chargers.html
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #7

You scared me there, for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH063 View Post
Does anyone know what model power converter is used in the 286RL 5th wheels? Is it the WFCO 8955 that is so widely used and doesn't bulk charge?
My WFCO 8955 died a month or two ago, and I was about to buy a replacement board for it. And then you said it doesn't bulk charge.

Here's a quote from the product web page:
Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode. The 8900 Series also maintains peace and quiet, as the cooling fan runs only when needed.

Do you know something the manufacturer doesn't know?

BTW, the tech I talked to there gave excellent advice. Here are the three most important points.
  • Don't buy/replace the entire unit, just the circuit board.
  • Watch YouTube videos to see how to install it. It's easy.
  • The failure mode is the electrolytic capacitors.
I worked as an electrical engineer (computer products) for 45 years and did a fair amount of my own lab work. My plan is to replace the circuit board, and then put new capacitors on the old one for a spare.

But you sure had me scared there for a minute.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
My WFCO 8955 died a month or two ago, and I was about to buy a replacement board for it. And then you said it doesn't bulk charge.

Here's a quote from the product web page:
Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode. The 8900 Series also maintains peace and quiet, as the cooling fan runs only when needed.

Do you know something the manufacturer doesn't know?

BTW, the tech I talked to there gave excellent advice. Here are the three most important points.
  • Don't buy/replace the entire unit, just the circuit board.
  • Watch YouTube videos to see how to install it. It's easy.
  • The failure mode is the electrolytic capacitors.
I worked as an electrical engineer (computer products) for 45 years and did a fair amount of my own lab work. My plan is to replace the circuit board, and then put new capacitors on the old one for a spare.

But you sure had me scared there for a minute.

Larry
If you go on any RV forum and search for WFCO converters there are tons of threads about them not going into Bulk stage. Those converters are supposed to but they stay in Absorption stage until nearly full and then go to Float stage. I don't know why, but that's what happens. I learned this the hard way when I first started boondocking and had to worry about battery usage. I replaced the "Guts" of my WFCO with the Progressive Dynamics direct replacement and it had a remote pendant so I could force the Bulk rate if needed. It worked great!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

I looked at a few of the posts you referenced...

Quote:
If you go on any RV forum and search for WFCO converters there are tons of threads about them not going into Bulk stage. Those converters are supposed to but they stay in Absorption stage until nearly full and then go to Float stage. I don't know why, but that's what happens. I learned this the hard way when I first started boondocking and had to worry about battery usage. I replaced the "Guts" of my WFCO with the Progressive Dynamics direct replacement and it had a remote pendant so I could force the Bulk rate if needed. It worked great!
I looked at a few of the forums you referred to. The conclusion seemed to be that the design threshold voltage for the WFC-8955 to cut over from Bulk Mode to Absorption Mode is a little on the low side compared to competitors. This works fine, except when the wire-run from the converter to the batteries is too long and/or too small a gauge.

In my case, the batteries are only 4 feet from the converter and the gauge is probably 4AWG. Also this trailer is permanently parked and on shore power. The batteries are nearly useless. The only reason I am doing anything is that the converter is failing. DC power cycles on and off if you load it with more than a few amps.

I would certainly consider the Power Dynamics board ("guts") if you could provide a part number.

Thanks for the advice.

Larry
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
I looked at a few of the forums you referred to. The conclusion seemed to be that the design threshold voltage for the WFC-8955 to cut over from Bulk Mode to Absorption Mode is a little on the low side compared to competitors. This works fine, except when the wire-run from the converter to the batteries is too long and/or too small a gauge.

In my case, the batteries are only 4 feet from the converter and the gauge is probably 4AWG. Also this trailer is permanently parked and on shore power. The batteries are nearly useless. The only reason I am doing anything is that the converter is failing. DC power cycles on and off if you load it with more than a few amps.

I would certainly consider the Power Dynamics board ("guts") if you could provide a part number.

Thanks for the advice.

Larry
Larry, the part number is PD 4655MBA and can be found at the link at the end of my post. It comes with the pendant remote. It's the direct replacement for the WFCO 8955. In my sitiation, my batteries were in the front of my trailer, the converter was in the back of the trailer, a distance of about 30 feet and the wire was 6 gauge. Randy at BestConverter is a very knowledgeable guy and answered a lot of my questions before I bought the unit. PD4655MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)
Best of luck!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Larry, the part number is PD 4655MBA and can be found at the link at the end of my post. It comes with the pendant remote. It's the direct replacement for the WFCO 8955. In my sitiation, my batteries were in the front of my trailer, the converter was in the back of the trailer, a distance of about 30 feet and the wire was 6 gauge. Randy at BestConverter is a very knowledgeable guy and answered a lot of my questions before I bought the unit. PD4655MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)
Best of luck!
RobH, thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what value the pendant adds?

I think I'd find value by adding a digital volt meter (DVM) to the face of the power panel. Like this one. This would be undesirable for dry camping, of course, unless you put a momentary contact push button in series with it. But as I said, this TT is on shore power all the time.

Larry
Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #12

Quote:
RobH, thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what value the pendant adds?

I think I'd find value by adding a digital volt meter (DVM) to the face of the power panel. Like this one. This would be undesirable for dry camping, of course, unless you put a momentary contact push button in series with it. But as I said, this TT is on shore power all the time.

Larry
The Pendant would offer you no benefit if always on Shore power. You wouldn't even need the Progressive Dynamics "Guts" like I did. If you are always going to be on shore power, a converter that only will do absorption charging and float charging is all you'll ever need. If you dry camp like I do, having the ability to charge fast is important and so the pendant allows me to force continued bulk charging, bypassing the absorption charge altogether until I get to float stage. It lowers the amount of time I need to recharge by batteries from many hours to 3-4 hours. Not a big deal in the summer but in the early Spring and late Fall, when using the furnace, it's a necessity!

Tags
converter, power