Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
Site Team

What's up with the smoke alarm?

About a month ago the smoke alarm was chirping & someone else replaced the batteries for me. A couple days ago when I picked up the trailer the alarm was chirping again. The alarm was removed and I took it with me home for new batteries. It kept chirping until fresh unused batteries were installed. The chirping was gone and I put the alarm back in place. The next day it started chirping periodically until the batteries removed. A few hours later I tried the same batteries again and the chirping went away. The trip is over so I don't know if the chirping returned or not.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the alarm. Its 6 years old.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Time for a new one. Look on unit, somewhere it may tell you when to replace or at least when it was made. Most smoke, CO, and Lp detectors are only good for around 5-7 years. Use a voltmeter and make sure your batteries are really as good as they should be. My bet is your detector has aged out.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Are you sure it's not the propane detector?
They chirp when the trailer battery gets low.
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you sure it's not the propane detector?
They chirp when the trailer battery gets low.
The smoke alarm kept chirping no matter where it was (trailer, truck, my house, neighbor house). The alarm itself isn't going off - it was just chirping. The trailer battery was fully charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Time for a new one. Look on unit, somewhere it may tell you when to replace or at least when it was made. Most smoke, CO, and Lp detectors are only good for around 5-7 years. Use a voltmeter and make sure your batteries are really as good as they should be. My bet is your detector has aged out.
I was thinking it was likely age related especially after needing to have the CO alarm replaced recently.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 AM   #5

Your right Terier, it sounds like it's time to replace it, The one post is right, I think kiddie say's replace after 5 years. I have one in the rear lounge area, but added another to the bedroom, while you are add it check your date on the fire extinguisher. There's also a date code on them. Better safe then sorry, your life is more important then a few bucks...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
About a month ago the smoke alarm was chirping & someone else replaced the batteries for me. A couple days ago when I picked up the trailer the alarm was chirping again. The alarm was removed and I took it with me home for new batteries. It kept chirping until fresh unused batteries were installed. The chirping was gone and I put the alarm back in place. The next day it started chirping periodically until the batteries removed. A few hours later I tried the same batteries again and the chirping went away. The trip is over so I don't know if the chirping returned or not.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the alarm. Its 6 years old.
Time for a replacement.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Life span of smoke detectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Most smoke detectors have a life span of 10 years.....
If a smoke alarm is chirping intermittently, one of the following may be the reason:

The battery may be loose or installed improperly
The smoke alarm sensing chamber may be dirty
Humidity, steam, or other environmental factors
An electrical condition may be causing power to the unit to be interrupted
The alarm may have reached its end of life
Old 10-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Most smoke detectors have a life span of 10 years.....
If a smoke alarm is chirping intermittently, one of the following may be the reason:

The battery may be loose or installed improperly
The smoke alarm sensing chamber may be dirty
Humidity, steam, or other environmental factors
An electrical condition may be causing power to the unit to be interrupted
The alarm may have reached its end of life
10 years is true for many current alarms but older ones had a shorter useful life. There should be a label in the detector telling you what the chirping means. I'd almost guarantee that it's reached the end of its service life.

My Georgetown has a propane detector that's wired to a shutoff relay at the propane tank. I suspect that at the end of its service life, it'll shut off the propane, forcing its replacement. This isn't an issue for me since I have the replacement on hand.

Phil
Old 10-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
10 years is true for many current alarms but older ones had a shorter useful life. There should be a label in the detector telling you what the chirping means. I'd almost guarantee that it's reached the end of its service life.

My Georgetown has a propane detector that's wired to a shutoff relay at the propane tank. I suspect that at the end of its service life, it'll shut off the propane, forcing its replacement. This isn't an issue for me since I have the replacement on hand.

Phil
That is not true. Older smoke alarms (1990) have an average useful life of 10 years just like the newer ones. Also a service life label is only on ionization smoke alarms which I have never seen on RV's. They are too expensive. I have been a fire inspector in NJ for 25 years and know the NFPA from front to back.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
I Break Everything

I don't know if this helps, but years ago we had a travel trailer the alarms were wired in and backed up with a battery. If we did not disconnect our main battery when storing the trailer the smoke alarm would start that chirping when the main battery was dying.

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote