Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
Site Team

What's up with the smoke alarm?

About a month ago the smoke alarm was chirping & someone else replaced the batteries for me. A couple days ago when I picked up the trailer the alarm was chirping again. The alarm was removed and I took it with me home for new batteries. It kept chirping until fresh unused batteries were installed. The chirping was gone and I put the alarm back in place. The next day it started chirping periodically until the batteries removed. A few hours later I tried the same batteries again and the chirping went away. The trip is over so I don't know if the chirping returned or not.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the alarm. Its 6 years old.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Time for a new one. Look on unit, somewhere it may tell you when to replace or at least when it was made. Most smoke, CO, and Lp detectors are only good for around 5-7 years. Use a voltmeter and make sure your batteries are really as good as they should be. My bet is your detector has aged out.
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Are you sure it's not the propane detector?
They chirp when the trailer battery gets low.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you sure it's not the propane detector?
They chirp when the trailer battery gets low.
The smoke alarm kept chirping no matter where it was (trailer, truck, my house, neighbor house). The alarm itself isn't going off - it was just chirping. The trailer battery was fully charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Time for a new one. Look on unit, somewhere it may tell you when to replace or at least when it was made. Most smoke, CO, and Lp detectors are only good for around 5-7 years. Use a voltmeter and make sure your batteries are really as good as they should be. My bet is your detector has aged out.
I was thinking it was likely age related especially after needing to have the CO alarm replaced recently.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 AM   #5

Your right Terier, it sounds like it's time to replace it, The one post is right, I think kiddie say's replace after 5 years. I have one in the rear lounge area, but added another to the bedroom, while you are add it check your date on the fire extinguisher. There's also a date code on them. Better safe then sorry, your life is more important then a few bucks...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
About a month ago the smoke alarm was chirping & someone else replaced the batteries for me. A couple days ago when I picked up the trailer the alarm was chirping again. The alarm was removed and I took it with me home for new batteries. It kept chirping until fresh unused batteries were installed. The chirping was gone and I put the alarm back in place. The next day it started chirping periodically until the batteries removed. A few hours later I tried the same batteries again and the chirping went away. The trip is over so I don't know if the chirping returned or not.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the alarm. Its 6 years old.
Time for a replacement.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #7

Life span of smoke detectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjeff View Post
Most smoke detectors have a life span of 10 years.....
If a smoke alarm is chirping intermittently, one of the following may be the reason:

The battery may be loose or installed improperly
The smoke alarm sensing chamber may be dirty
Humidity, steam, or other environmental factors
An electrical condition may be causing power to the unit to be interrupted
The alarm may have reached its end of life
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Most smoke detectors have a life span of 10 years.....
If a smoke alarm is chirping intermittently, one of the following may be the reason:

The battery may be loose or installed improperly
The smoke alarm sensing chamber may be dirty
Humidity, steam, or other environmental factors
An electrical condition may be causing power to the unit to be interrupted
The alarm may have reached its end of life
10 years is true for many current alarms but older ones had a shorter useful life. There should be a label in the detector telling you what the chirping means. I'd almost guarantee that it's reached the end of its service life.

My Georgetown has a propane detector that's wired to a shutoff relay at the propane tank. I suspect that at the end of its service life, it'll shut off the propane, forcing its replacement. This isn't an issue for me since I have the replacement on hand.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
10 years is true for many current alarms but older ones had a shorter useful life. There should be a label in the detector telling you what the chirping means. I'd almost guarantee that it's reached the end of its service life.

My Georgetown has a propane detector that's wired to a shutoff relay at the propane tank. I suspect that at the end of its service life, it'll shut off the propane, forcing its replacement. This isn't an issue for me since I have the replacement on hand.

Phil
That is not true. Older smoke alarms (1990) have an average useful life of 10 years just like the newer ones. Also a service life label is only on ionization smoke alarms which I have never seen on RV's. They are too expensive. I have been a fire inspector in NJ for 25 years and know the NFPA from front to back.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
I Break Everything

I don't know if this helps, but years ago we had a travel trailer the alarms were wired in and backed up with a battery. If we did not disconnect our main battery when storing the trailer the smoke alarm would start that chirping when the main battery was dying.

mk

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
I don't know if this helps, but years ago we had a travel trailer the alarms were wired in and backed up with a battery. If we did not disconnect our main battery when storing the trailer the smoke alarm would start that chirping when the main battery was dying.

mk
I have a battery disconnect switch. The smoke alarm doesn't seem to be wired in. The holder is screwed in but the alarm itself can be removed from the ceiling. It will continue chirping wherever it is at, trailer ceiling, truck, office, home, etc..

I just spoke with the service manger and the smoke alarm is being replaced. He said it was a useless piece of garage that drove him nuts. LOL - I suggested that he put it in his office for a few days to see if the chirping would start up again. Guess we know the outcome of that.

I don't work on my trailer - I have a good relationship with my service department. This might not be the right choice for most owners but it works for me. I don't have the skills, knowledge, tools or desire to do so myself.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Team

The smoke alarm has been replaced and I'm happy to say no chirping on this trip. No problem with the recently replaced co alarm either. Now I can enjoy my trailer again especially with the nice weather right now.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

6 yrs old? and you think it might need replacing after how many battery changes?
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejac55 View Post
6 yrs old? and you think it might need replacing after how many battery changes?
Twice.

Not sure how to read your message. Based on the age of the alarm I should had just replaced it automatically or just try a third set of batteries?

Trailer is kept offsite where chirping would go unnoticed. At the time of pick up I was not able to verify if the battery had been changed as requested.