Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Winter cover for 196bhxl

My wife and I have started looking for a cover for our 196bhxl and we were wondering where people are buying covers.
Where is a good place to find a cover ? We are finding them for the length and width but having an issue finding one that takes into account the extra height for the roof mounted AC.
Kevhel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Following this thread. We just purchased a Salem SMT31KQBTS travel trailer and are looking for a good winter cover for this as we will be storing in Northeast Pennsylvania outdoors and are looking for a good breathable cover that will protect from snow and other winter weather. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as we would like to protect our investment. I know many don't like to cover their trailers, but we had covered our last one and it was like new. This one is larger and not sure if the one we had previously is still available. Was an Element brand purchased from Camping World. Any suggestion?

DeborahL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

Looks like for us, we are going with a very large tarp. Going to wrap it like a baby LOL. Seems to be very cost effective for this winter and will work on getting an actual RV cover next year. Etrailer.com has some pretty good prices on tarps. Our TT is only a 22 footer so it was easy to find a tarp large enough. It might be a foot short on each side, but from front to back it will be totally covered.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #4

We went with a very large tarp last winter and it worked well. All of the covers I've seen seem to fit all the way down the camper, and everything I've read is that when you cover it that much you are increasing your likelihood of mildew/mold. We tarped and left about 3' from the bottom all the way around and that seemed to work. I've read about covers that are more breathable, but I guess I'm skeptical when reading it...
Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #5

Tarps are by far...the worst way to cover a trailer. Tarps do not breath and even if you leave a "Gap" at the bottom, you are still trapping the moisture inside the trailer. RV covers...on the other hand, are designed to "Breathe" and let air circulate around and inside the trailer. The latest cover I have, has 4 vents around the edges to keep the cover from billowing in high winds...(ADCO Designer Series...All Weather) I've covered mine for over 10 years and always leave a couple windows slightly cracked to allow for air movement within the trailer. No mold, no mildew, no mice. Now my neighbor prefers not to cover his Montana and stores it in a closed building...but has to clean up after the mice every spring.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Wasn't thinking about the breathing aspect. Might not go the tarp route then.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #7

We got an actual RV cover ordered last night. So we are set to go for the winter. We went through National Covers. So we will see how it goes. They offered ranges from good to best and these products offered different warranties and materials. Ordering of course was easy on line and got the order confirmation this morning. So DeborahL24, you might check there.

Tags
cover, winter