Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

2010 345RET 2nd AC prewire question

Looking to install a 2nd AC up front in bedroom. I know FR prewired for it. When I remove the roof vent trim, there is a romex type wire that loops our from the ceiling. I expected the end of a wire and not a loop. Now, off to the side of the roof vent hole is a 2x4 blank cover over a recessed box. This box has a romex type wire that is the end of the wire (no loop). The sheathing on this cable is a different color than the looped wire that comes out of the ceiling cavity into the vent hole area. Anyone have any ideas about what is what here. I plan on installing the AC myself as I've installed several ACs over the years in much older RVs. I'm also very electrical knowledgeable. I just need to figure out how, if the two wires I've described are connected in any way.
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Is the thermostat dual or single zone.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Single stage for cooling and heating. One of the non digital thermostats that have been around forever. You know, if the wire in the single gang roof box looped in and out, and had the same color sheathing as the wire looping into the vent space, I would think that it was meant to be an on/off emergency switch to kill power to the AC. BUT, it's the end of a run. Weird to me and I'm pretty good at figuring out electrical stuff since I'm a (long time ago) trained electrician and an office equipment repair rep 20 years ago. If I don't get much help from the forum, I'll just call FR. I've had really good luck with them when calling in as a private owner. They always seem in a hurry, but are friendly and do take the time to help and answer all my questions. Thanks for your response Ford.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Is there power to any of the romex, if so what is the voltage/amp reading.
What turns the power off and on if any.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

I'm was planning on pulling out the meter tomorrow morning and doing just that. (Great minds) Also going to pull a bit harder on the looped wire to see if i can get an end to pop out. Will let you know what I find.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

My guess is the loop is for the power hookup (in series).
Is the loop long enough to wire up the second Ac unit.
What is the amp rating for your ac circuit breaker, are there two or just one in the panel.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

When I added mine, the single gang box was what is wired in breaker panel add second AC. I used that for power, and a closet light wire run for the 12v.
Maybe the other romex is for a washer dryer outlet?
My 5er is a 34TBOK so maybe different then yours
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

First of all, I am nearing 60 and I blame things these days on "sr moments". Now I'll explain...but it still does not change the confusion about the wiring for this AC.

I could not stand it, so I stepped away from my desk for a few minutes and went out to take a quick look at the wiring again. The single gang box definitely has romex solid wire stubbed out with wirenuts over the ends. OK, here's where my sr moment comes in....while the looped wires into the vent cavity are not romex solid, they are stranded 16 or 18 gauge black and white wires. Now, I used my little handy dandy non contact voltage tester just to see if either had voltage of any kind. The black/white stranded wires never have voltage with all the breakers in the panel turned on (did not ck to see if by chance there was a DC fuse that might feed these) and there is power to the single gang box/romex when I turn on the breaker for the #2 AC. BUT, there is no wire going from the single gang box over to the vent cavity where I would wire up the AC. You think I'll have to fish a pig tail the 6-8" from the single gang box over to the vent cavity? And then I'm still not sure what the stranded wires are. Scratching my bald head here.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
First of all, I am nearing 60 and I blame things these days on "sr moments". Now I'll explain...but it still does not change the confusion about the wiring for this AC.

I could not stand it, so I stepped away from my desk for a few minutes and went out to take a quick look at the wiring again. The single gang box definitely has romex solid wire stubbed out with wirenuts over the ends. OK, here's where my sr moment comes in....while the looped wires into the vent cavity are not romex solid, they are stranded 16 or 18 gauge black and white wires. Now, I used my little handy dandy non contact voltage tester just to see if either had voltage of any kind. The black/white stranded wires never have voltage with all the breakers in the panel turned on (did not ck to see if by chance there was a DC fuse that might feed these) and there is power to the single gang box/romex when I turn on the breaker for the #2 AC. BUT, there is no wire going from the single gang box over to the vent cavity where I would wire up the AC. You think I'll have to fish a pig tail the 6-8" from the single gang box over to the vent cavity? And then I'm still not sure what the stranded wires are. Scratching my bald head here.
I pulled the wire from the single gang, rather then use it as a junction box. So now, it's just an empty box on my ceiling...but, I can keep cool in 100° heat so who cares.

Are the stranded wires possibly a 12v source and so not showing in your non contact meter? They usually don't pick up less than 40v or so.
The wiring was the only thing that took any thinking and time when I did mine.
Keep trying!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

The romex has got to be the 120v for the AC.
The stranded wire sound like a light or ceiling fan (basic home wire coding)
On a side note I am near to 60 myself.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #11

I'm in total agreement with both of you (Ford & JT). Bet the stranded wires are in case you want to put a vent fan in the hole and the romex is, of course, for the AC. When I get my AC, I'll figure out exactly where I'll have to drill a hole in the wood that frames the cavity and fish it over there. Now all I have to do is find a reasonably priced place to get the AC. It kills me to pay $800+ for a roof AC when I could buy a window unit at Lowes to do the same thing for $100 on sale. HAHAHA...my wife would love for me to hang a window unit out the side of this thing. Either of you seen a source thru the forums that offers Dometic Brisk Air or Brisk Air II for cheap? And thanks again for helping me think thru this guys!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #12

I have not seen that brand here but then I am new here.
I have been looking at the Maxxair because of the remote control.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm in total agreement with both of you (Ford & JT). Bet the stranded wires are in case you want to put a vent fan in the hole and the romex is, of course, for the AC. When I get my AC, I'll figure out exactly where I'll have to drill a hole in the wood that frames the cavity and fish it over there. Now all I have to do is find a reasonably priced place to get the AC. It kills me to pay $800+ for a roof AC when I could buy a window unit at Lowes to do the same thing for $100 on sale. HAHAHA...my wife would love for me to hang a window unit out the side of this thing. Either of you seen a source thru the forums that offers Dometic Brisk Air or Brisk Air II for cheap? And thanks again for helping me think thru this guys!!!
Adventurerv.net is where I bought mine. It was just over $600 for the top and bottom units, 15K btu
Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #14

HAHAHA JT...I just found them and talked to one of their reps. So evidently you were pleased with the product and service from Adventure?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
HAHAHA JT...I just found them and talked to one of their reps. So evidently you were pleased with the product and service from Adventure?
Glad you have your wiring issues figured out!

I have purchased a few items from Adventure and was very pleased with their service. I bought a new hot water tank from them a couple years ago and it was shipped really fast!!!
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes. Fair prices. Fast shipping. And my AC is cold !
Old 09-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #17

I'm suprised you need a second AC.
Our 1 gets the whole camper very cold even at 100 degrees..You don't have it on direct max flow in the living room do you?
Just asking!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #18

Hey hrlyguy2, we blocked off 2 of the outlets in the living area and that helped a great deal. However, during the late afternoon and early evening, our bedroom and bath are not too comfortable. By late evening, maybe bedtime it gets cooled off. But, if you take a couple of showers, you may be warm when you got to bed. Now mind you that my wife has been going the "the change" for the last 5 years and can't get cool enough. So, if it means spending some $ to keep her cool in our new 5er, I'll do it. If momma ain't happy (or cool), ain't nobody happy. hehe
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #19

Same here on my wife.I do know the agony sometimes.
But we never block anything.And set it at 68 and it stays cold.
Also depends if all the shades are down where the sun is shining.And we have a grandchild in and out all the time.
Do you have a 13500 ac we have the 15k
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #20

You know hrly, I was told we had the 15K, but I have not actually checked it. I might climb up on top and pull the cover and check it out. We were down at the NC Outer Banks week before last for our first real trip on it. Temps were in the mid to high 80s. We kept all the shades pulled during the afternoon and had the stat set at 70. While we were not uncomfortably warm anywhere in the RV, I could only imagine how warm it will be at the lake next summer when it gets into the high 90s. I even tried the old trick/logic to run the fan on low so the air coming out of the vents might be a tad lower than if running on high. We are going out west next July and I'm just gonna bite the bullet and put the second AC on. Call us gluttons for punishment, we had a Flagstaff GTSS with a full side of windows just like our 345RET. You would have thought we learned our lesson about so many windows. But, having all those windows and that view of the outside world is great and far outweighs chasing a cooler temp in the RV.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour