Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you hate your 355RE as much as I do?
yes 0 0%
no 6 85.71%
almost 1 14.29%
more 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2014, 02:12 AM   #1

Angry 355RE

Been in my 2014 355RE about a month. Not a happy camper! What POS! Crappy window slides, making it hard to open and close the windows, doors dont or are hard to latch and squeek, window shades that dont stay up, poor craftsmanship, outside panels that dont lay flat, water hose quick connects that are very stiff and hard to couple, light bulbs burning out, tv not connected into the surround sound, a roof vent over the kitchen that you need a ladder to open/close, a/c vents that are directionally fixed, the worst being over the bed, blowing directly on it, city water hookup that has no access without leaving the side door open, which is not a slam lock, the only one, construction debris in the drawers, a plastic lock collar for the shore power cord that wont screw on, no levels on unit, grey and black water outlets merged into one so back flushing the black is impossible, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, GRRRRRRRRRRR! The idea of spending winter in this unit is worrysome! CANT WAIT UNTIL I CAN AFFORD TO GET OUT FROM UNDER IT! SHOULDVE STAYED WITH A MONTANA! MUCH BETTER QUALITY!
Bowase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Bobhaus AF Retired

Does anyone have any positives on the 355re. Getting ready to close next week.
Bobhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowase View Post
Been in my 2014 355RE about a month. Not a happy camper! What POS! Crappy window slides, making it hard to open and close the windows, doors dont or are hard to latch and squeek, window shades that dont stay up, poor craftsmanship, outside panels that dont lay flat, water hose quick connects that are very stiff and hard to couple, light bulbs burning out, tv not connected into the surround sound, a roof vent over the kitchen that you need a ladder to open/close, a/c vents that are directionally fixed, the worst being over the bed, blowing directly on it, city water hookup that has no access without leaving the side door open, which is not a slam lock, the only one, construction debris in the drawers, a plastic lock collar for the shore power cord that wont screw on, no levels on unit, grey and black water outlets merged into one so back flushing the black is impossible, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, GRRRRRRRRRRR! The idea of spending winter in this unit is worrysome! CANT WAIT UNTIL I CAN AFFORD TO GET OUT FROM UNDER IT! SHOULDVE STAYED WITH A MONTANA! MUCH BETTER QUALITY!
If you are having trouble with the doors then you may not be setting it up correctly.

The window shades are adjustable.

The quick connects are new so they are going to be tight. These connections are used on a wide variety of brands and if you do use them they will end up leaking and they are not cheap to replace at all.

Light bulbs burn out, it happens.

The surround sound is only going to work when watching a DVD.

If you want to open the vent in the ceiling you can buy an extension or you should have gotten the optional fans.

The A/C vents can be turned to direct the air flow anyway you want. You have to turn the whole vent.

You will back flush the black tank by only opening the black tank valve.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. Looks like good feedback have been provided in the previous post. Hopefully the suggestions given will be of help to you.

BTW - what was your PDI/walk-through like? Sounds like it wasn't as detailed as it should had been. My service department went through my TT ahead of time checking everything.

Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

We bought our 355RE for several reasons. We love the big, big, windows, the slide out in the bathroom, the washer/dryer connections, the decor, the storage, 2 ACs. We have some of the same issues mentioned in the prior post but for us all the good things outweigh the bad. This is our first 5th wheel so we do not have anything to compare it to. We are very happy with it. Hope it will work for you.
johnrita777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

Just came across this thread. Other than the underbelly sagging, awning lights falling off,(dealer repaired), only small problems with our unit! Pulls great, set up is easier than our TT, and as mentioned, the view is awesome with all the windows. We rarely open our windows, and we turn air to low while in bed.
Agree that the tv should be wired to surround sound, but we don't watch a lot of tv when camping!
The good outweighs the bad, and with problems fixed, we're extremely happy with ours!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	535.1 KB
ID:	56156  

Nights camped in 2016:03😄
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

We love our Sierra 355re!! We got it the 1st of Febuary 2014 and have had zero problems so far. We full time in the winter so we stayed in it for 2 full months. We had a Montana before and we like this RV so much more! It is a very beautiful RV in every way. Sorry you have had problems and hoping it gets better for you!
tumbleweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Permanent fifth wheel

We have had ours for two years and like it. Only problems we have had are the awning motor quit working, low water pressure, toilet valve froze in winter, and light bulbs burn out. The awning motor was replaced under warranty/recall. I removed all the water reducers at each faucet along with the water filter and that fixed the problem. Toilet valve is my fault for not draining when using the low point drain valve. Light bulbs..... I have ordered LED from Amazon and hopefully this fixes the issue of burned out light bulbs. The bulbs are used in all campers so I'm sure it's the same problem with all.

Our camper is permanent not moved so it's only been pulled twice. My wife picked this over the Montana I liked due to the bathroom. Good luck finding a camper that two adults can use the bathroom at the same time. My only regret is now Sandpiper is selling with the tan color vs white. Tan would be much easier to keep clean. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1416664363.446128.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	66723

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
355re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #9

We got ours in the tan color and love it! We've always had white before and the tan is much easier to keep clean and I love the look of it too. We are down in Florida nw for the winter and having a blast! We just got back today from Daytona Beach Shores. ����
tumbleweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

Just bought an 355RE, had a 345RET several years, loved it no issues. Best 5th wheel ever had.

Bowase, probably have problems with any one you bought. Hate to be the dealer you buy from.

2020 F350 Extended Cab
2018 Sandpiper 354RET

fkent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about your problems! We purchased our Sierra 355RE in Feb of this year and have been camping several times with no problems. Going out again Thanksgiving weekend to lake Keystone, Tulsa OK
2005 F350 Powerstroke
ok355re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

Sorry to hear you are displeased with your Forest River product, that being said let me be the first to "Welcome" you to the forum.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #13

355re with 5 slides. I have front hydraulic jacks and rear electric jacks. Front hydraulics do not auto level the unit. It always leans towards the side with 4 slides. Any ideas on how to remedy? Also my kitchen slide with fridge and stove never quite goes out and levels out, is this normal for this unit?
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #14

No. Better get to your dealer!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #15

Hi there
I also have a 355re, the front landing gear are not levelers only front to back you need to level your trailer on the four slide side to side separately. I level mine side to side then front to back with my landing gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Lug nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #16

Sorry, Jack. Agree with Lugnut on the landing gear. See your dealer about the slide!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #17

Thanks Dave. I made appt with dealer on slide.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #18

I haven't had any problems with any slides. But we live in northern Alberta Canada. It can get pretty cold out here.we got our355re sandpiper last year, so it was out in the -35 weather all winter long. This year we opened the trailer, and found that from the front cap on the trailer to the main side out on entrance side all the gel coat had hundreds of small cracks on it. We were devastated called forest river sent pictures and had good service from them. They are now taking the trailer back to Indiana for a complete repair. Thank you forest river for your prompt service

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Lug nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #19

Nice set up!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #20

That's good to hear on the repair, sorry for your inconvenience. This slide thing may be normal but om not taking any chances. When I look down at all the slides on the outside of the unit the refrigerator\stove slide is same distance out st bottom compared to other slides but 2 inches inward ar top of slide compared to other slides. Been in two bad rains and no water came in.