Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #1

Smile 365 SAQ Battery shut off

I want to put a battery sit off switch on my 365 saq. I was told by the dealer to put it in my propane compartment but I decided not to. I don't think it would be safe. possibility of gas and sparks from the switch mixing.
ANy ideas and pictures would be great

Thanks

Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I want to put a battery sit off switch on my 365 saq. I was told by the dealer to put it in my propane compartment but I decided not to. I don't think it would be safe. possibility of gas and sparks from the switch mixing.

Thanks
Funny, I just put one in mine our last camping trip. I put mine in the large area for the generator. I have the generator prep package and put it on the side of the heat shield for the compartment. Since that compartment has no storage, I just put it there.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post

Thanks
No real reason,but I would agree with you regarding your safety concerns.

Our factory installed battery disconnect switch (2012 Silverback) is located in the pass though compartment that also contains the water servicing panel and filter - same side as the battery compartment, but about 6-7 feet aft of it.

Did your dealer give ant reason GeForce saying to locate the disconnect in the propane compartment ?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Why wouldn't you mount it in the front compartment on or near the battery? That's where mine is. Battery terminal disconnect on the negative side.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Why wouldn't you mount it in the front compartment on or near the battery? That's where mine is. Battery terminal disconnect on the negative side.
My battery is in a box that is screwed closed under the compartment floor- "I" mounted my disconnect on the side wall just above it (ok, I bought the parts- my father in law did most of the work). Not sure how the Sierras are laid out, though.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

It's because charging batteries generate hydrogen, which in case you don't remember the Hindenburg, is very explosive. Unless the switch you use is rated for explosive environments, you might blow yourself up. At least think about the potential damage to your RV for your heirs.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
It's because charging batteries generate hydrogen, which in case you don't remember the Hindenburg, is very explosive. Unless the switch you use is rated for explosive environments, you might blow yourself up. At least think about the potential damage to your RV for your heirs.
Well if anyone's battery is in an air tight container, without a proper vent, as is required by rv manufacturers, then they get what they deserve. And I still contest, that there is no way enough hydrogen could build up within a battery box, to cause an explosion. imo
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Steve & Phyllis

I simply put mine in the compartment right next to the battery. I just bought a 10" cable from NAPA for a battery and connected it to the negative terminal and to the switch. I actually did not permanently mount the switch but the cable pretty much holds it in place. I did buy a very nice switch at dealer which is made for that. I think it was about $25.