Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

365SAQ one AC or two?

Sounds like all 365SAQ are set up for a 2nd AC unit. We live in the hot, dry west. How important is the second AC unit? Try with one and possibly add the second AC or just spend the $800 now to have it? How much do you all use the second AC?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdairy View Post
Sounds like all 365SAQ are set up for a 2nd AC unit. We live in the hot, dry west. How important is the second AC unit? Try with one and possibly add the second AC or just spend the $800 now to have it? How much do you all use the second AC?
Different camper here and different climate, but same approximate camper size. Our front bedroom stays very warm without the second A/C. When we're on 30amp sites, we alternate between the two of them.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I am in the process of purchasing a Heritage Glen 356QBQ and the first thing I did was purchase the 2nd A/C as one A/C will not keep up well in this large of 5er.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

With a rig that size you will use both more than you think
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

We have a '13 365saq with the second AC. We have honestly found that we did not need the second unit nearly as much as we thought we might. We spent a couple of weeks away in July and August in 95+ degree weather and did not feel the need to use the 2nd unit at night when it was still in the mid 80's overnight and that is in the sticky humid northeast. With both units running thru the day and the master bedroom door open the interior is VERY cool. The 2nd unit benefits the rest of the camper greatly in that way. With the door closed and being in the bedroom it's almost too cold. A 13.5k unit in a 10x10 room!! It's cold. And its definitely not silent!
Bear in mind that the front bedroom is ducted from the rear unit and will get air anyway, with or without the 2nd unit installed. Also, closing the dampers on the main unit itself in the living room will send more air to the other registers. Yes, I know different conditions will affect how well it works.
Are we glad we have it? Yes.
You are asking so I would say just have it put in. I think you will like the option that it is there if you so need it. In the grand scheme of things the price at this stage is probably less relevant than doing it down the line.
Hope this helps some.
You'll love the camper!!
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

I have a similar sized camper, but slightly smaller (34tbok Sabre) and wish I had added the 2nd AC at purchase. I ended up spending the $800, but did the work myself to add it later. I ducted it also, so like doug says, I can run either one. They are both 15K units! It'll freeze you out in 100į temps!
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

We have the 2014 SAQ365 and live in the North East. We have one AC and can add a second if we ever decide to. Wiring, zone thermostat etc are there. We experienced several 90 -95 deg days with high humidity and our single AC performed well, really well. Once we had a sister SAQ 365 with two AC units parked beside us who told us they don't run the second unit because they did not need it, plus the noise.

If on the other hand if you are in Florida, Georgia, Alabama or areas with constant high humidity plus high temps during summer you probably want two. Arizona, yeah you want two for sure. Louisiana, you want two.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #8

You need a 2nd air no if and butts about it. Some guys on here have even put a 3ac on the rear bunk. In hot weather both units have a hard time keeping the unit cool.
In my opinion the ac and heating systems aren't sufficient for this unit. We camp in the south east.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Here in west Texas, two AC are a must. I am one of those that will add the third AC. Looked at buying a new Cedar Creek about a month ago and was told I can not have it built with the 3rd installed. Will not be purchasing a Cedar Creek.

The AC units in these trailers can bring the temp down about 20 degrees on 105 plus days. That means the inside temp from about 2:00 to 6:30 PM is 85, without opening any doors. Manufactures need to start taking this inconsideration and offer a hot weather package as well as cold weather.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
Here in west Texas, two AC are a must. I am one of those that will add the third AC. Looked at buying a new Cedar Creek about a month ago and was told I can not have it built with the 3rd installed. Will not be purchasing a Cedar Creek.

The AC units in these trailers can bring the temp down about 20 degrees on 105 plus days. That means the inside temp from about 2:00 to 6:30 PM is 85, without opening any doors. Manufactures need to start taking this inconsideration and offer a hot weather package as well as cold weather.
Boy do I second that, Our last trip from Virginia to Oregon was in July 2012. I use to have to leave early am to beat the heat. If we didn't reach our CG by 2:00 PM it took til like 8:00 PM before your unit started to cool down. When we were in needles Cal. I remember it being 117 at 2 in the afternoon. If they had an option with my unit I would have jumped on it. It seems they never put enough a/c's in 15,000 btu's will take awhile to cool things down. I had to open the bottom dump and stand under it to try and cool down. We stayed in Needles and the RV park didn't even have a tree for shade. In my opinion they should be installing heat pumps and not a/c's also.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365saq