Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Smile 365saq Rear bathroom odor

I have a 2013 354saq. When the her sits up for a while the rear bathroom stinks. It then permeates thru the rv. I have replaced all the breather valves under all the sinks and it didn't make it improve.
If I dump the rear tanks then the odor goes away.i have also tried dumping chemicals in the grey water tank. That seemed to make a difference.
I am not shire which tank is causing the problem.
Grey or black.
I think the tanks are plumed as such
outside kitchen and rear sink are on one
rear toilet on one
inside kitchen on one

Any suggestions would be helpful
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #2

Put plenty of Dawn dish soap in the holding tanks and some water. If the tanks are completely dry and there is any residue left (and there will be, no matter how much you flush the tank) it will begin to smell. We have been using dawn and water for over a year now with no other chemicals. No smell!
DKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What model toilet do you have?
I believe a model 300 is known to not seal and stink.
Also don't use the ceiling fan when flushing it'll suck the odor from the tank.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

I am pretty sure it's not the 300. I think the 300 was recalled. I checked last year and it wasent.
I don't use the fan. When I walked in today there was no heat, AC or fan running. The Rv had been opens up for 24 hours
Old 03-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #5

365saq Rear bathroom odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKay View Post
Put plenty of Dawn dish soap in the holding tanks and some water. If the tanks are completely dry and there is any residue left (and there will be, no matter how much you flush the tank) it will begin to smell. We have been using dawn and water for over a year now with no other chemicals. No smell!

Very interesting - Going to try this. Dawn is getting to be like baking soda; you can use it for anything. Getting grease off of ducks, killing box elder bugs and destroying stink bugs. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I have a 2013 354saq. When the her sits up for a while the rear bathroom stinks. It then permeates thru the rv. I have replaced all the breather valves under all the sinks and it didn't make it improve.
If I dump the rear tanks then the odor goes away.i have also tried dumping chemicals in the grey water tank. That seemed to make a difference.
I am not shire which tank is causing the problem.
Grey or black.
I think the tanks are plumed as such
outside kitchen and rear sink are on one
rear toilet on one
inside kitchen on one

Any suggestions would be helpful
I have a 13 365saq and i haven't had that problem, and also i've found that the outside kitchen and the bathroom sink empty into the black tank, the living room sink goes in the grey tank as far as the odor i'd suspect that the roof vent is clogged.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1243 View Post
I have a 13 365saq and i haven't had that problem, and also i've found that the outside kitchen and the bathroom sink empty into the black tank, the living room sink goes in the grey tank as far as the odor i'd suspect that the roof vent is clogged.
Ooooor the vent pipe has slid down to far into the tank . [emoji6]
We've seen it before.

Turbs
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Ooooor the vent pipe has slid down to far into the tank . [emoji6]
We've seen it before.

Turbs
Definitely check the vent pipe! I forgot about that. Take the cover off and see if the PVC pipe that comes through the roof is too long. If it touches the underside of the cap, cut it down so that there is a gap.
DKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKay View Post
Definitely check the vent pipe! I forgot about that. Take the cover off and see if the PVC pipe that comes through the roof is too long. If it touches the underside of the cap, cut it down so that there is a gap.
Well that to but I meant to long down in the tank.
Once the water fills up in the tank so far it's possible that it covers up the pipe.

Turbs
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Mine has done this too, but also make sure of what you are smelling. Pour water down the sink to put water in the trap and lots of times the smell goes away as you are smelling the grey water, not the black water with chemicals. Every once in a while it is the black water tank. I just add a little more chemical and it's done. But when that failed, is when I found the smell coming from the sink.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

To check it, pull the cap off and measure down to the bottom of the tank, then lift the tape and catch the bottom of the pipe. There should be at least 5"-6" difference. If only 2"-3" or less, pull the pipe up until you have the 5"-6" difference. I would stop at 5". Secure the pipe with a collar or a sheet metal screw thru the roof flange and reinstall the cap.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #12

Just to update you guys. I added water to the tank 2/3. I also added dawn and some tst. I drove to around and then dumped my tank with the problem. I them flushed it a couple of times. I added dawn, tst and filled the tank about 1/4 full.
Today when I opened the 5er up the odor was gone.
I think from reading that I wasn't letting the rear black tank up and thus had built up and not emptying correctly. Our back bathroom doesn't get used that much.
Thanks for all the great info it was very helpful!!!

Tags
365, 365saq, roo