Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
How much weight do you think they saved by moving the fridge outside to kitchen and tossed the extra compartment and slide out shelf for the stove? I am guessing the fall units with hydraulic landing gear and electric rear stabs would add some weight?
Very true. For the earlier ones, the weight was shaved by changing the front wall, bedroom chest, wider aisle, two windows instead of three and fewer cabinets on the living room TV wall.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #42
Sierra Rep

if your sticker says 13,000 lbs dry. then the computer printed out the wrong weight. there hasnt been a unit leave the factory over 12,500 lbs and thats with an outside kitchen. published weights are units equiped with standard features.
Sierra14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra14 View Post
if your sticker says 13,000 lbs dry. then the computer printed out the wrong weight. there hasnt been a unit leave the factory over 12,500 lbs and thats with an outside kitchen. published weights are units equiped with standard features.
I honestly don't know of anyone's sticker that is BELOW 12,500. My late year 2012 is 12,6xx, without the 2nd A/C. I had 1300 pounds of payload before I added the 2nd A/C unit. Add a battery and propane and now you're to 1000lbs.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #44

I received a call today from FR. They began investigating this matter today and are having a unit built like mine brought to the scales in the morning.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting...

They would apparently rather spend more money investigating the problem then fixing it. I understood that they weigh every unit as built and that's where the weight on the yellow sticker comes from. Not true?

Whether the CCC is 500, 1000 or 1500 lbs, it's not enough for a 42' camper that you could full-time in.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Interesting...

They would apparently rather spend more money investigating the problem then fixing it. I understood that they weigh every unit as built and that's where the weight on the yellow sticker comes from. Not true?

Whether the CCC is 500, 1000 or 1500 lbs, it's not enough for a 42' camper that you could full-time in.

Dave
You are absolutely correct. They just can't figure out how mine got that high weight sticker on it. I responded "because it weighs that much"! Yes, it was one of the first ones built. At first, the engineer asked the plant if it was possible that the camper was weighed with all of the holding tanks full, to which they replied 'no'. The advertised weight is 11873 per brochure and website. The rep and engineer stated that they had not seen one leave there under 12,400, but over 13k?? According to the engineer, the 365 should have a payload of 1800 pounds. Mine has 137 pounds according to the sticker(with full tank of water and genny). He said that propane is already figured in at the factory and does not need to be added on the weight after purchase. He was very cordial and we discussed several thoughts but no real answers today. He stated it would be a long shot that the wrong sticker was put on it. Especially with the serial numbers on it! I sent him pictures of all the stickers after our conversation. Again, could not believe it weighed that much. I told him the factory tires had been replaced to give me more tire, but no way could I do anything for the axle weight rating. He will be getting back to me "as soon as possible".
Old 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #47

Gentlemen,
While I cannot offer a positive contribution to your problem here, I thank you for inspiring me to insist that my unit have the upgraded axles. I will have my unit fully equipped like described here with gear and supplies for 6 people to survive for a week. There was no way the stock axles would have survived. I will probably have to also look into tires still. Once one blows out and I have the spare on it I will order a tire and wheel package with appropriate ratings. Can anyone recommend a vendor for tire & wheel packages? Tirerack seems more suited for pas vehicles.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #48

Quote:
Gentlemen,
While I cannot offer a positive contribution to your problem here, I thank you for inspiring me to insist that my unit have the upgraded axles. I will have my unit fully equipped like described here with gear and supplies for 6 people to survive for a week. There was no way the stock axles would have survived. I will probably have to also look into tires still. Once one blows out and I have the spare on it I will order a tire and wheel package with appropriate ratings. Can anyone recommend a vendor for tire & wheel packages? Tirerack seems more suited for pas vehicles.
If you get 7k axles, you will have 9/16" wheel studs and 8 lug wheels. There are lots of 17.5" combo wheel and industrial tires out there. They are a little more pricey, however they handle the weight without any problem.
If you have 6k axles, you have 6 lug wheels and not much chance of the HEAVY DUTY industrial tires. What I have done, until this is settled, I bought Goodyear G614 tires in 235/85/16 size. They have a load capacity at 110 psi of 3750 pounds per tire. That is 15k worth of tires on 6k axles. Like I said, that is what I am currently running. There are a couple of other manufacturers out there like Bridgestone and Michelin that have industrial tires with teh weigth ratings of 3750 per tire.
As first mentioned, in the 17.5" combos have over 4k per tire ratings. One place I suggest you call is Tredit Tire(They have website). They sale all types of trailer tires for campers to boats to utility trailers.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #49

Wow it sounds like we hit the hornets nest with a stick. 1st thing I want to Thank Gofmedic for helping bring this issue to light. 2nd I spoke with the factory again today since today was the completion build date. I wanted to confirm my unit was indeed built with the correct axles so I wouldn't have to deal with 6k axles at the PDI. To the best of their ability they assured me that my unit "was" built with the 7k 8lug axles. There may a chance I'm getting the first 365saq with the new 7k upgrade. As for FSCHAMBE congrates on your purchase. It sounds like you too ordered the 7k upgrade if you got the info from this post I'm glad it's becoming useful to others.

Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #50

The 365 that the factory weighed with the options like mine weighed 12905!!! Now they know there is a problem. They are preparing a remedy to the situation, but no time frame given. Just a heads up for us owners..Oh and by the way, you guys out there may be used to it, but I am not currently in my home state, but RV are being weighed at most weigh stations throughout the southeast now. Mine would never pass any of them the way it currently sits.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #51

I thought RV's were exempt from weigh stations. I have a friend who is a deputy in Nebraska. I guess I will ask some questions tomorrow, but that doesn't seem right to me.

We're going out on our final camping trip of the year this weekend. I should weigh the thing and see where I sit. I didn't go the generator prep, but other then that, I seem to have the same unit as golfmedik. Two AC's, I added the Whirlpool washer and dryer but not at the factory, I did it myself. I did the King bed, the outside kitchen, and I have the same floor plan and design as golfmedik. I think the only difference at this point is the generator prep. I also added a second battery (made the dealer do it. I feel more comfortable with two)
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
I thought RV's were exempt from weigh stations.
It varies by state. One of my coworkers went into Kentucky last weekend up I-75 and the big new signs stating all RVs exit at weigh station. From what I understand, Tennessee and South Carolina will do that by the end of the year. If not mistaken, on some roads, TN already does. Georgia does not, YET! In talking with a family member who is a state trooper, the SCRT(State Crash Re-creation Team) is called in on all RVs involved that have a serious injury. They, in turn call in the Department of Public Safety that houses GAs Motor Carrier Division which between one of the two, have scales at all times. These divisions have learned that some RVs and race car trailers are over their weight limit. And in this economy, results in big bucks for the state due to hefty fines. They are learning and RVers and racers are paying big.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik

It varies by state. One of my coworkers went into Kentucky last weekend up I-75 and the big new signs stating all RVs exit at weigh station. From what I understand, Tennessee and South Carolina will do that by the end of the year. If not mistaken, on some roads, TN already does. Georgia does not, YET! In talking with a family member who is a state trooper, the SCRT(State Crash Re-creation Team) is called in on all RVs involved that have a serious injury. They, in turn call in the Department of Public Safety that houses GAs Motor Carrier Division which between one of the two, have scales at all times. These divisions have learned that some RVs and race car trailers are over their weight limit. And in this economy, results in big bucks for the state due to hefty fines. They are learning and RVers and racers are paying big.
Would my upgraded axles increase my gvwr on the sticker? Or are they more focused on the capability of the trucks gcvwr?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
It varies by state. One of my coworkers went into Kentucky last weekend up I-75 and the big new signs stating all RVs exit at weigh station.
I would really like to know how making an RV go through a weigh station is going to fix anything. Are they going to make you weigh axles individually and figure out your tongue/pin and axle weights? There are so many different factors with tow vehicles and RV's that I think it will be a huge waste of time. They may have it figured out, or they may just have to pass this law to see what's in it
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
They may have it figured out, or they may just have to pass this law to see what's in it

What's next....... To use your RV you must have a CDL and a med card?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #56

Quote:
Would my upgraded axles increase my gvwr on the sticker? Or are they more focused on the capability of the trucks gcvwr?
Yes it would, if it came from the factory that way. That is the concern now, how and who will replace the GVWR stickers. They are in a split decision between the decision makers. A couple of them say my dealer can do it, and the other couple of them want it taken back to Indiana. I don't want it to go back to Indiana. I personally see no need for it as my dealer is an authorized service center of theirs.
As far as weighing the RV, they are more concerned with individual axle weight ratings and the gvwr of the camper. A friend of mine stated that he was made to weigh his and they looked at the axle ratings on the inside of the door of the truck and the gvwr. Not what the truck is rated for in the GCVWR. I will ask my cousin when I see him again.

Guys, I am by no means the weight police, however I have learned a lot during this process. Once I realized the CCC of my camper and started trying to figure out what to do, the weights and laws have become important. I am not one to point a finger at anyone's rig for being overweight, but it is now becoming where I notice it more and more. From what I've been told by the troopers, it is mostly individual axle weight ratings. Some that pull the larger campers with the 3/4 ton trucks seem to be ones that are targeted more and more. Just my observance here in the last couple of months in researching this. Don't shoot the messenger. I am just relaying the experience I am going through now as it may help someone else presently or down the road.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #57

I live in Ky and go through and by scale houses every day and have yet to see anything but all commercial vehicles must stop. Not anything about RV's. I have not been by the one on 75 coming in from Tenn sense July.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #58

From the KY State Weigh Station site:

Kentucky Weigh Stations Truck Scales
All trucks and commercial vehicles must weigh at Kentucky weigh stations when they are open. There is no minimum weight requirement. All trucks means all trucks- tractor trailer trucks, certainly, but also any smaller trucks. Any rental truck or pickup truck pulling a trailer is required to enter an open Kentucky weigh station.
I had never heard of any of this before talking with troopers and my dealer this week. Even the Forest River rep stated that KY is now weighing them. I have no idea! I've not been there in a year or so, so I can't speak from experience. But I do know that things are beginning to change here so I imagine it won't take long in neighboring areas. If you find anything to the contrary, please let us know. It may save several people from a headache that they don't necessarily need.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #59

I own a 2013 365 saq. I haven't kept up with this thread. Can you please tell me in simple terms what the problem is with the unit and what needs to be done to fix it??
Thanks from Georgia!!
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #60

That's is not an official web site. That is a private site just like this one. Ky follows the federal laws. Ky has no added laws above the federal laws. I will call my contacts tomorrow just to make sure and let you know. My contact is a DOT auditor.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365saq