Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #1

Unhappy 371rebh Water smells like rotten eggs

This 5r was purchased new in February. Spent 6 weeks in Arizona without a problem. Came home and drained all the tanks in preparation for the summer in Minnesota. I sanitized the fresh water tank, water heater and lines per the instructions I found on these forums. Filled my fresh water tank with sanitized water and went on our way. After about 4 days the cold water in the bathroom sink and toilet started to smell like rotten eggs. If I let the water run the smell would somewhat go away. Returned home and again whet through the sanitization process again. Went out again after a couple weeks and once again after about 4 days the smell was back again. Read the forums again and they pointed to letting the low point drain empty out, which I did and the smell went away, for another 3-4 days. Talked to anther camper who suggested a portable water softener, so I did. Before installing I again sanitized the system and installed the softener. Went camping and now at about 8 days the smell was back. I've talked to other campers at the campground and none od them experience or seem to have the problem (various kinds of RVs). I'm totally at a loss of what to do. Can anyone out there give some advice or the number of the sandpiper factory rep to vent my frustrations to?
levert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do you, also, remember to drain the hot water heater? I forgot to, once, and the next time we took it camping (about 3 weeks later), had that rotten egg smell and it took a few good cleanings (with a little plain Clorox bleach) through everything to get it out.

Now we never leave water in the hot water tank...even if we're going out a week later.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #3

Yup, drain that water heater tank. Then put some bleach in it, fill it, let stand for a day( That's what I do), drain and refill. I had that smelly water for almost two months while out west. I drained the tank and did what I thought I should but it didn't clear up until I used the bleach. I haven't had it happen again since but it's on the list to get ready to use the 5er.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Have done all the above with the water heater

Yes I do drain the water heater and sanitize it also. I actually leave the higher concentration of bleached water in the heater as it is not use except for washing dishes and bathing. The smell comes from the cold water.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

The rotten egg smell is typically associated with higher concentrations of sulpher in the water. The one common denominator is the water you are filling your tank with. Try sanitizing your tank again, but fill the tank form a completely different water source. It's just a guess, but reading your post, it's the only thing I can think of.

hatchet
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Same problem

I am really interested in seeing some response's to your problem. I have a new this year sandpiper 350rok and I am getting the same problem, however its just in the bathroom sink. hopefully someone can help figure this out.
waing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by levert View Post
Yes I do drain the water heater and sanitize it also. I actually leave the higher concentration of bleached water in the heater as it is not use except for washing dishes and bathing. The smell comes from the cold water.

We are blessed at home with very clear but we'll chlorinated public water. We only run that through a couple screen filters but do not filter it. We fill up at home. On the road, especially on park hook ups, we run an in line filter. That ensures that the water will be pure and safe, but the filter also takes out the chlorine so we try not to fill the tanks with it and when we do, I drain it and refill when I get to a safe, chlorinated source. Knock on wood, with that protocol we avoid smelly water. So drain it, fill it with heavily chlorinated water. Then be sure you flush it in to every pipe, line, valve and drain. Let it set over night and flush it out with normal city water. The fact that it keeps coming back suggests to be that something is growing in there. GOOD LUCK.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

I only fill the fresh water tank at home with chlorinated city water (I also add some bleach) and rarely if ever use when camping. I hook up to campground water supply and run it thru a water softener and filter it. It is not the fresh water tank water that is creating the smell. In fact the fresh water tank water has a definite chlorine smell. I'm hoping for some guidance from Forest River, do they read these forums?
Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #9

The smell in mine starts and is strongest in the bathroom sink also. It takes a while to migrate to the whole system.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

All of the suggestions are right on. The issue is the production of sulfide producing bacteria. The cure is bleach as previously suggested and detention time to allow the chlorine to disinfect the bacteria. If you do not succeed the first time increase the dosage of chlorine and allow more detention time. Living in Saudi Arabia for many years this was a common problem for hot water tanks. Getting the chlorine to all parts of the system is essential along with allowing enough time. I hate to say it but I have seen hot water heaters thrown away because they could not stop the production of the sulfides. Good luck anb happy travels.
DavidO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Who did it now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidO. View Post
All of the suggestions are right on. The issue is the production of sulfide producing bacteria. The cure is bleach as previously suggested and detention time to allow the chlorine to disinfect the bacteria. If you do not succeed the first time increase the dosage of chlorine and allow more detention time. Living in Saudi Arabia for many years this was a common problem for hot water tanks. Getting the chlorine to all parts of the system is essential along with allowing enough time. I hate to say it but I have seen hot water heaters thrown away because they could not stop the production of the sulfides. Good luck anb happy travels.
This is a growing issue as the water table in the country keeps getting lower and lower, the sulfur smells get worse. As stated above i would try a different water source, and also try what David stated here in this quote. If either do not fix your issue, you may need to change out some part that has been contaminated to badly to fix.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #12

Have a 2015 CC and get the same smell. Never happened to my WB tt.
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #13

Remove the anode rod and trash it.

Open all low point and tank drains, then cap them off or close the valves.

Flush the hot water tank with a wand, use a regular steel plug to pug the tank and then flush the whole system with 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water.

Using the water pump run water thru every line even the low point and tank drain, do the outside shower if you have one.

Outside sink?
Do that as well.

Drain and flush the system until you no longer can smell the bleach.
Replace the steel plug with a new anode.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #14

I do not have the smell from the hot water, just the cold!
Old 08-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #15

I've done all the above today and will leave the solution in the system until our next outing. Hoping it solves it finally, but I have a feeling it will not.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #16

Quote:
I've done all the above today and will leave the solution in the system until our next outing. Hoping it solves it finally, but I have a feeling it will not.
Just a question.

Do you know if you unit has a built in water filter?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
I do not have the smell from the hot water, just the cold!
No matter. The odor will migrate backwards into the cold water. I too believe the anode rod is the issue.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

For those having problems with sulphur smell in the hot water only, check which type of anode is being used. There are pure aluminum and potassium alloy blends available. Some are more prone to reacting with the sulphur producing bacteria and creating the problem. Although not recommended for long time use, try removing the anode and using a 3/4"plug temporarily. If the smell is gone or reduced, try using a different alloy anode. I had a similar problem with our residential electric hot water tank. Good luck. Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #19

Just helped another member with this same issue last week. Washer hookups? If so, hook a hose up and run water thru those lines into the toilet or shower and flush them lines. I found this after several stinky trips in our last fiver
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

The 5er does have a built in filter, I will replace it and the anode this week. Thanks everyone for all the information.

Tags
water