Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

381 RBOK, AC sucks.. Is this possible

I have a two month old 381 RBOK, and I've done everything I can to get the internal temp to where I need it to be. I have two babies that nap at 1pm every day in southern Louisana weather, so 80-82F interior temps isn't an acceptable level.

My rig is 50amp, with two ACs. The bunk room has a vent/skylight that I will never use. It also has hookups for washer/dryer that I will never use. There is a 20amp breaker for the washer/dryer.

Can a 3rd AC be installed in place of the vent? Roof weight of the unit is 72lbs. Will it support that? Can it be wired to the 20amp breaker for the washer/dryer? The unit I'm looking at is a 13.5kBTU Brisk II (same as my front AC). I want to install it with just a dump vent in the bunk room, and a thermostat on the rear wall of the bunk room.

It all seems like it would work to me, but don't know for sure.

Has anyone done anything like this? How much would a dealer charge? Is it an overly crazy DIY job for someone that does all their own household work?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #2

First thing to do is remove the inside cover on your A/C and make sure there are no holes where cool air is leaking into the ceiling. Then take out your front most and rear most vents and cram a towel in the end of the duct, this prevents air from going only God knows where. I even pulled all my vents and retaped them. This will greatly improve the volume of air coming out of your vents.

Your roof vents need to have a vent pillows put in them to reduce heat load

We just added reflextic, think the name is correct, to all of our windows. Purchased at Lowe's. We can easily remove and roll up if I needed. This has made a big impact on keeping our unit cool.

With the above mods I can now cool our 43' fifth wheel to 76 in direct sunlight in Alabama's 96 heat and 1000% humidity

Good luck

Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

I've done all of those things except unbolting the main unit from the roof to check the sealing there. It's the recessed unit so I can't access from the inside.

I read somewhere they had some Brisk units that were low on coolant from the factory and I'm starting to wonder if I have one of those units. I definitely have that unit, but it hasn't been checked.

82F when it's 95F outside doesn't seem right to me with both units going, and having it at 65F during the night.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:07 AM   #4

The Brisk Airs that are of issue were built in 2014. I had my main 15000 BTU unit replaced under warranty in May. Dometic sent a mobile technician to do it. My 13500 BTU unit is also in the same group bit is working great. My tech recommended I purchase the five year warranty on the 13500, he said it's just when not if it will self destruct.

The compressor self destruct on these units so you will have zero cold air.

I would ad a third unit if needed. They fit in the standard 14" roof opening. Pull the inside trim, there may be wiring for it already. Your 50 amp service should run three A/C's with no issue. I personally would hire a mobile tech to install it though.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsg4 View Post
I've done all of those things except unbolting the main unit from the roof to check the sealing there. It's the recessed unit so I can't access from the inside.

I read somewhere they had some Brisk units that were low on coolant from the factory and I'm starting to wonder if I have one of those units. I definitely have that unit, but it hasn't been checked.

82F when it's 95F outside doesn't seem right to me with both units going, and having it at 65F during the night.
If you sun coming on through the windows you might want to try blocking that as well - reflectix does work well here too. Not sure how your rig is built - I would think you have enough insulation and what not to keep the cool from escaping that quickly.

To your other point on how the A/C units are performing - have you check the temp coming out of the main vent. Might pop the cover off and measure outbound and inbound - you could be sucking your cold air straight in due to a leak.

I know the back unit will freeze us out in the day but the front builds up all of the heat and sometimes will get to 80 or more in the very front. Now realize we have a MH with all that glass up front - we did put up some reflectix that helped a whole lot.

You know the other thing I thought of was buying a little portable unit - especially when our rear A/C went out and we rough'd it for 6 weeks, not wanting to put the MH in for service due to the down time.

So how does it do at night when the sun goes down? Cold, cool? ?

Hope all of these suggestions helps. Let us know.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

It doesn't feel like the main AC is doing much. The air is cool, but definitely not the volume it should be. When the front AC kicks on, which is a smaller unit, the output feels like it quadruples.

Anyone ever checked the sealing of the intake/exhaust on the recessed/quiet setups? I'd have to go from the top to get to the area, and have never moved a rooftop AC before.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

I too had problems with my ac. I just bought a 2017 389rd.

I took every vent out and taped the duct to the vent so no cold air would go anywhere but in the living quarters.

I also found both yes both ac units not connected to the duct work.
I taped all the ducts directly to the ac units and it made a big big difference. I pulled the quick cool off the roof to gain access to the ducts.

I now have to much air in th bathroom and bedroom and alot of air pressure in the kitchen and living room. I have added tap to the back side of the vents to throttle the air going in the bedroom and bathroom because it is so much cold air.

Triple check your ac ducts as mine wasnt hooked up rather blowing inside the ceiling attic.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

I forgot to add that my whisper quiet system has 5 return vents that was done at the dealer for the new update that are putting out.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
I forgot to add that my whisper quiet system has 5 return vents that was done at the dealer for the new update that are putting out.
How did you check the taping of the whisper quiet system since you can't check it from the interior?

I've done the front AC already, but not the main unit.

I've already had the additional return air vents installed.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

I took my unit off the roof and got to it. Its just 4 lag screws ran into the support of the roof and it lifts off.