Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

383RBLOK reviews??

The wife and I just purchased this model and will be taking delivery of the unit in about two weeks.

Just wondering how others with this model like them and what if any issues we should be looking for during our PDI?

We have been looking for a while now and liked this unit really well, it will be our fourth Fifth Wheel but our first Forest River.

Your review, feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.
HuntMODucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #2

We really like the interior if ours. The layout is perfect for us. Lots of room for the 5 of us and our 2 dogs. Really nice having the separate room for the kids.
The awning for this camper is just to small in our opinion. We are working on ideas to install another one. It's challenging with the layout of vents, doors and windows. I thing they could of done better with it.
We have had a few issues, but I guess most do. We have had to have several drawers replaced with slid issues. None of the doors fit the openings. The ice maker water line was shut off and the dealer really, well, let's just say was clueless. PM me if you have this issue. We have had 8 of the ceiling lights turn into strobe lights. Very annoying.
Couple pieces of interior trim came loose.
The dealer fixed everything except the water for the ice maker. And haven't taken it in for the lights yet.
This camper tows like a dream. Especially compared to our wildcat. We have had some issues with the size of this camper. Getting in and out of some sites. And limited site availability for a 42 footer. But as stated, overall we are very pleased with it. We have camped about 30 or so days over 7 different trips.
We came from a fifth wheel and 2 travel trailers before this.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Jason
hammerx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Hammerx45;

Thanks for the response.
Glad to hear that overall you are happy.
We are really looking forward to the new 5ver. Not so concerned about the length as we are currently in a 40'.
Also glad to hear that you have not seen anything major, although the light issue seems like it could be something larger. I would be interested to hear how that works out and what the issue is.
Will be sure to check the ice maker for water and if we run into any issues I will let you know.

Thanks again and Happy Camping
Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

There is a recall on the lights. The dealer should handle it for you. But for a backup source you can go to the light manufacturer and they will send them to you. I don't have the info handy at the moment, but it's a sticky in the sandpiper/sierra facebook group.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #5

Thank you Jack and Jane;

That is good information on the lights I will be sure and ask the dealer about it.

Is this what the strobing was all about?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntMODucks View Post
Thank you Jack and Jane;

That is good information on the lights I will be sure and ask the dealer about it.

Is this what the strobing was all about?
Yep. And it's annoying as all get out! After a while they will eventually just go out.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAndJane View Post
There is a recall on the lights. The dealer should handle it for you. But for a backup source you can go to the light manufacturer and they will send them to you. I don't have the info handy at the moment, but it's a sticky in the sandpiper/sierra facebook group.
I will email the company. Thank you. Joined the Facebook group also. Maybe I can stay in the know!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
Coach

We have a similar floor plan in the 381RBOK, and we love it. We've also had the trim issues, I think most do. Couple staples later you'd have never known. I believe yours has the second shower in the back as well? We had the drain work loose under the shower on a trip this summer. Gets bouncy in the back. Not a big deal to fix, but had to pull a panel and what not. We've found the AC's to be sufficient with some added insulation over the windows in hot areas. The furnace was about useless. We use a couple milkhouse heaters plus the electric fireplace, and that works pretty well. I hope you love it as we love ours.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #9

Thanks and I am sure we will love the 5ver, we have been looking at upgrading for over a year now and just found this floorplan which had everything we were looking for so it made the decision very easy.

Exciting times ahead as we take delivery this weekend.

I will post pictures and findings from PDI next week. Hopefully its a short list
Old 08-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
We have a similar floor plan in the 381RBOK, and we love it. We've also had the trim issues, I think most do. Couple staples later you'd have never known. I believe yours has the second shower in the back as well? We had the drain work loose under the shower on a trip this summer. Gets bouncy in the back. Not a big deal to fix, but had to pull a panel and what not. We've found the AC's to be sufficient with some added insulation over the windows in hot areas. The furnace was about useless. We use a couple milkhouse heaters plus the electric fireplace, and that works pretty well. I hope you love it as we love ours.
Interesting about the furnace. Ours does very well. We camped in 30s night time weather with no problems. We did use the fireplace just because we could.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerx45 View Post
Interesting about the furnace. Ours does very well. We camped in 30s night time weather with no problems. We did use the fireplace just because we could.
We don't usually do enough cold weather camping to worry about it, but we did once get caught with some overnight lows in the 20's. First night we went through a full bottle of propane and barely kept the camper in the 50's. Second night we used the portables with the fireplace and got mid 60's. I've since checked out the ductwork which appeared to be fine, just doesn't seem like the 12 volt fan moves enough air.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
Old 08-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

I'd say you have a problem. Id get it back to the dealer. We've camped twice in cold weather and all summer and still on our first bottle of LP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
We don't usually do enough cold weather camping to worry about it, but we did once get caught with some overnight lows in the 20's. First night we went through a full bottle of propane and barely kept the camper in the 50's. Second night we used the portables with the fireplace and got mid 60's. I've since checked out the ductwork which appeared to be fine, just doesn't seem like the 12 volt fan moves enough air.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #13

We have the 372LOK and we have had good luck with ours....except, when we first purchased it, after a two-week trip, we brought it back home and had a MAJOR electrical problem. They had apparently not grounded the main electrical system.

We took it back to dealer, fixed that problem and then we have had a few other small problems, like the lights and not being able to get our ice-maker to work properly (3rd world problem here).

We have camped 10-15 nights with temps in the 20's and even into the teens and didn't use an entire bottle of gas, but we did supplement it with the fireplace.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #14
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerx45 View Post
I'd say you have a problem. Id get it back to the dealer. We've camped twice in cold weather and all summer and still on our first bottle of LP.
We're well past our warranty, and really don't need it for me to worry about it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
Old 08-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks and I am sure we will love the 5ver, we have been looking at upgrading for over a year now and just found this floorplan which had everything we were looking for so it made the decision very easy.

Exciting times ahead as we take delivery this weekend.

I will post pictures and findings from PDI next week. Hopefully its a short list
Well we took delivery of our trailer on Monday, everything went extremely smooth, PDI was very through and we came out with a very short list of items which were all taken care of before signing the final papers. Pulled it home over 500 miles and it towed like a dream. Moved all our stuff in this week and got it organized. Taking it out this weekend for a short trip over the long weekend to see how it does.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:51 AM   #16

Good luck, and happy camping!
Quote:
Well we took delivery of our trailer on Monday, everything went extremely smooth, PDI was very through and we came out with a very short list of items which were all taken care of before signing the final papers. Pulled it home over 500 miles and it towed like a dream. Moved all our stuff in this week and got it organized. Taking it out this weekend for a short trip over the long weekend to see how it does.