Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #1

50 amp

I am picking up my Sandpiper 5th wheel this week. I currently have a 30amp electrical box outside to plug in my current TT. I am having an electrician change it over to a 50 amp box. He asked me if I needed 110 50amp or 220 50 amp? I have no clue. any help? thanks.

Ken

Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

50 amp requires 120V/240V circuit. Two hots, grounded (Neutral) conductor and equipment ground. Four wires total.

A 30 amp is just a 120V circuit....three wire feed to the camper.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:56 AM   #3

This is where people get in trouble and blow up an RV. I'll say it again in a slightly different way. You should have 2 hot legs, a neutral, and a ground. While you will get 240 volts if you measure hot to hot, each leg to neutral should be 120 volts. NOTE, this is NOT like a dryer outlet.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Go Pack Go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
This is where people get in trouble and blow up an RV. I'll say it again in a slightly different way. You should have 2 hot legs, a neutral, and a ground. While you will get 240 volts if you measure hot to hot, each leg to neutral should be 120 volts. NOTE, this is NOT like a dryer outlet.
I am not sure what you mean about the "not like a dryer outlet" (receptacle) and do not want to confuse the OP.....but please explain. I believe I covered the 2 hots, grounded (neutral) conductor and equipment ground in my previous post.

Just a note...typical 120/240V household type electric ranges and dryers have required 4 wire receptacles per the NEC for over 10 or so years now. Prior to that, they were only 3 wire receptacles with the neutral conductor bonded to the metallic frame of the receptacle. Also, I am not sure he even mentioned washer/dryer prep for his RV, which is typically just a 120V receptacle like I just got in my new RV.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codespy View Post
I am not sure what you mean about the "not like a dryer outlet" (receptacle) and do not want to confuse the OP.....but please explain. I believe I covered the 2 hots, grounded (neutral) conductor and equipment ground in my previous post.

Just a note...typical 120/240V household type electric ranges and dryers have required 4 wire receptacles per the NEC for over 10 or so years now. Prior to that, they were only 3 wire receptacles with the neutral conductor bonded to the metallic frame of the receptacle. Also, I am not sure he even mentioned washer/dryer prep for his RV, which is typically just a 120V receptacle like I just got in my new RV.

Thanks.
My point in saying this is NOT an outlet for a dryer is I have read more than once on this forum and another where an electrician thought he knew what was needed and put in service as if he was putting in an outlet for a household dryer. I said nothing about a dryer in a RV, did I? The RV was plugged in and received 240 volts. Would hate to see that happen to anyone. That was my only point. Sorry you feel offended.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

you can use the 30 amp outlet with an adapter and be fine. I've been doing it for a couple years now at my home. Both fridges stay on all summer and AC stays set on 85. Never been an issue. If you do change to 50 amp, not only will you need a new outlet, you will need new wiring to box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-service1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	84290  
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Site Team

To the OP, you can print out the following single page pdf link to give your electrician. It will explain it all, along with the NEMA numbers he will need for the outlet.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp%20Service.pdf

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

I keep my Sandpiper plugged in 30 amps and have no issues
Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the posts. I will give the pdf to the electrician. I don't mind switching the outlet over to 50 amp just to be safe, but the electrician just asked me to find out if I needed 120 or 240 v for the 50 amp. it looks like I need both? no washer and dryer unit in camper but just want to have enough power to run the two ac units and lights when loading and unloading camper. thanks for all the input.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
My point in saying this is NOT an outlet for a dryer is I have read more than once on this forum and another where an electrician thought he knew what was needed and put in service as if he was putting in an outlet for a household dryer. I said nothing about a dryer in a RV, did I? The RV was plugged in and received 240 volts. Would hate to see that happen to anyone. That was my only point. Sorry you feel offended.

The problems with plugs being incorrectly wired are common on the 30amp where people run 240 volt ( like a dryer or stove ) as opposed to a single pole 120 volt.

That is where you blow stuff up!

If you ran a single pole 50amp only half your electrical panel would work in the camper.

Tags
50 amp