Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Yea i know! At the rate its going we will need to add a 4th!
Ha ha! You better knock on wood! I'll leave it parked and stay in a hotel before that happens.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #102

All of the parts except the remote thermostat have arrived. Have not ordered that yet. Hoping to get started this coming week.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #103

Ok. If the rain keeps up and baseball is cancelled tomorrow, I'm gonna get to work.

Work has be crazy this year. Have logged 135K AA miles and have only had 3 weeks that I have not traveled. Gotta get this done before going back to Taiwan in 2 weeks!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Ok. If the rain keeps up and baseball is cancelled tomorrow, I'm gonna get to work.

Work has be crazy this year. Have logged 135K AA miles and have only had 3 weeks that I have not traveled. Gotta get this done before going back to Taiwan in 2 weeks!

Wow!
Guess thats a good thing. At least better than the alternative. Sitting at home.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Wow!
Guess thats a good thing. At least better than the alternative. Sitting at home.

Yeah. It's been crazy.

I have everything sitting at home for the install except for the thermostat. I'm hoping I can make some progress tomorrow. Really want it done before Memorial Day. We are camping at Myrtle Beach then.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #106

Quote:
Yeah. It's been crazy.

I have everything sitting at home for the install except for the thermostat. I'm hoping I can make some progress tomorrow. Really want it done before Memorial Day. We are camping at Myrtle Beach then.

Are you going to document everything in detail so I can copy?
Other Ride: 2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #107

I will try. I'm gonna get the wiring ran today.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #108

Quote:
I will try. I'm gonna get the wiring ran today.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the results!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #109

Well.... some progress before having to stop for other chores.

I have a book case that pulls out accessing the plumbing for the tub. By removing it, I have clean access to get the wiring from the ceiling to the basement (for connecting to the breaker panel).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	135624

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	135625

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	135626

I started with the CAT5 cable. I need to get it from the front AC to the "book case access point" in order to tie it in with the Romex. I managed to get it from the AC to the forward light (wrong direction from where it will ultimately run). From there, I need to get a fish tape from the access point to that light. The preferential bend in the old school fish tape I have seems to cause it to hit an obstruction about half way that I can't get around. That is where my work has stopped so far. I'm gonna head to the store later and pick up a set of those fiberglass wire pulling rods as I believe I will be able to position them a little better to get below the obstruction. I know there is a way through it, as There are other wires that run below it to from light to light.

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	135627

I am not sure what circuit I will wire it into, but leaning towards the W/D. Aside from the fact that we have no plans of adding one, it seems to be one of the only labels that were written so that the user can read. I am open to any input from the readers on this.... thoughts?

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	135628
Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #110

Quote:

I have a book case that pulls out accessing the plumbing for the tub. By removing it, I have clean access to get the wiring from the ceiling to the basement (for connecting to the breaker panel).
Attachment 135624

Attachment 135625

Attachment 135626

I started with the CAT5 cable. I need to get it from the front AC to the "book case access point" in order to tie it in with the Romex. I managed to get it from the AC to the forward light (wrong direction from where it will ultimately run). From there, I need to get a fish tape from the access point to that light. The preferential bend in the old school fish tape I have seems to cause it to hit an obstruction about half way that I can't get around. That is where my work has stopped so far. I'm gonna head to the store later and pick up a set of those fiberglass wire pulling rods as I believe I will be able to position them a little better to get below the obstruction. I know there is a way through it, as There are other wires that run below it to from light to light.

Attachment 135627

I am not sure what circuit I will wire it into, but leaning towards the W/D. Aside from the fact that we have no plans of adding one, it seems to be one of the only labels that were written so that the user can read. I am open to any input from the readers on this.... thoughts?

Attachment 135628

Great stuff. Anxious to see if you are able to get that wiring through. I don't currently have plans for w/d either but think I will put a new breaker in just in case.

What did it take to pull the bookcase? And why did you have to go backwards to the light?

Is your breaker panel next to the first step in the hall/stairs leading to the master bed too as it is on mine?

Once you get wired into the cavity, where are you taking the run to the back of the camper for the new a/c?

Again, thanks for documenting everything. I will owe you when I start to tackle mine!
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #111

Just watched a video tour of your model. Completely different floor plan except the master room is exactly the same. Fuse panel is the same too. I'm guessing most of the work will be the same for me which is good.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #112

Quote:

Attachment 135624

Attachment 135625

Attachment 135626

Attachment 135627

Attachment 135628

Harbor Freight has a pretty good deal on the rods if you have one close.

My electric box was labeled by Stevie Wonder.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro04 View Post
What did it take to pull the bookcase? And why did you have to go backwards to the light?
The book case is held in with 4 screws. I already had it out as I am also replacing the vacuum breakers for the black tanks. I went backwards because all of the other wiring exited that way. Seemed like the easiest approach versus drilling another hole or routing out the rear where the duct work was.

Quote:
Is your breaker panel next to the first step in the hall/stairs leading to the master bed too as it is on mine?
Yes. It is right at the first step.

Quote:
Once you get wired into the cavity, where are you taking the run to the back of the camper for the new a/c?
I think I am going to across near the Curb side, and then down from light to light that way. That avoids the cabinets and shower, and also provides a light hole (for access) every few feet.

More to come tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Harbor Freight has a pretty good deal on the rods if you have one close.

Yep... I just picked some up about an hour ago. $6.99 for 10 pieces (11' total).
Old 04-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
That is soooooo wrong! Funny as 7734 though! And if you get that reference you're old like me!
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
Old 04-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #116

Quote:

Attachment 135624

Attachment 135625

Attachment 135626

Attachment 135627

Attachment 135628
I see:

????
Water Heater
Washer/Drier
Fireplace
(Maybe) Audio / Visual ???
Microwave
Main
Main
????????
Microwave #2 ???????
?????????
?????????
BLANK
Refrigerator

If I get a minute I'll look at my panel and see if it helps decipher yours.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #117

I sent a note to Jeffery Johnson asking if he could decipher the writing. I'll see what he says if he responds.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #118

The fiberglass rods did the trick. If you are planning to do this, I suggest getting the very short rods.

Came in for lunch so decided to post an update.....

After getting the Cat5 to the access point, I then decided to get the romex close to the panel to connect later. I started in the access point by feeding the "bottom" of the cable through an existing hole.

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	135746

I the went to the basement and removed the "walls" the hide the inverter and Heater.

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	135747

From there, I was able to pull the Romex to the outside world....

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	135748

I then went inside to the steps and removed the grill on the second step and pulled the romex through.... I left enough to later route behind the wall and out the panel.

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	135749

Back to the access point I went. I spent a few minutes figuring the best next step. While I probably chose wrong, I decided to go under the duct work and get to the lights on the curb side. To do this, I removed the light in the bathroom and ran the fish rod back to the hole in the access point. I secured the cable ends and was able to pull them through.

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	135750

From there is was just a short shot to the light in the hallway.

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	135751

After lunch I plan to pull all of the wire through into the hallway. I feel like this will help me get a straight shot back to the bunk room with the least resistance. Try to continue to work with the slack in the access point seems like it could cause the cable to pull on other wiring as i work back.

The biggest issue so far has been able management while pulling. Without the cable in a box / reel, it would help to have someone paying the cable off of the coil.

More to come later. I see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #119

Quote:
The fiberglass rods did the trick. If you are planning to do this, I suggest getting the very short rods.

Came in for lunch so decided to post an update.....

After getting the Cat5 to the access point, I then decided to get the romex close to the panel to connect later. I started in the access point by feeding the "bottom" of the cable through an existing hole.

Attachment 135746

I the went to the basement and removed the "walls" the hide the inverter and Heater.

Attachment 135747

From there, I was able to pull the Romex to the outside world....

Attachment 135748

I then went inside to the steps and removed the grill on the second step and pulled the romex through.... I left enough to later route behind the wall and out the panel.

Attachment 135749

Back to the access point I went. I spent a few minutes figuring the best next step. While I probably chose wrong, I decided to go under the duct work and get to the lights on the curb side. To do this, I removed the light in the bathroom and ran the fish rod back to the hole in the access point. I secured the cable ends and was able to pull them through.

Attachment 135750

From there is was just a short shot to the light in the hallway.

Attachment 135751

After lunch I plan to pull all of the wire through into the hallway. I feel like this will help me get a straight shot back to the bunk room with the least resistance. Try to continue to work with the slack in the access point seems like it could cause the cable to pull on other wiring as i work back.

The biggest issue so far has been able management while pulling. Without the cable in a box / reel, it would help to have someone paying the cable off of the coil.

More to come later. I see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Great stuff. Thanks for the updates!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #120

Well.... have the wire and Cat5 where I want it for now. I managed to get it into the light hole in the bunk room where it will stay until I get ready to actually install the AC.

Running the wire through the living room was straight forward. Tedious, but straight forward. Getting from the living room to the bunk room was more challenging, as there was a piece of wood that supported the duct, and the bunk light was on the other side of the duct. I'm had to feed the rod from the living room to the bunk room, and then reach in the light hole (almost elbow deep) and grab it to pull it towards the light. At that point I realized that I ran the rod the wrong way. Knowing that it would be another luck shot to get it back in there, I improvised..... I zip ties and taped the crap out of the wire to the wrong it of the rod. I then managed to get it through without it breaking loose. Score!

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	135772

Before I put the basement walls back, I am going to install two cable outlets. One for the DTV splitter at the docking station, and one near the existing cable outlet. This will hide my splitter and basement satellite cable.

That's all for now. I'm headed out of the country tomorrow and will be back Friday. Unfortunately, we have a baseball tournament this weekend so I'm not sure that I will get it finished. I'll update as I progress.

Any questions, ask away.

Oh yeah. Next project is installing the hitch for the swivel wheel and running a dedicated satellite cable behind the basement

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	135773