Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #381

Thanks I bought cat5 cable if I have to cut and swap the ends I will just use the cat5 since it doesn't have an end on it yet gonna start the wire pulling tomorrow I hope I have all the correct part numbers to start ordering the unit cause this South Texas heat is rough.
Shenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #382

Anyone staying at lakewood this weekend?
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Anyone staying at lakewood this weekend?

I'm staying at HOME! Been in Taipei for the last few weeks and looking forward to getting home later tonight.

Have fun! Our next trip down the OL is over New Years holiday.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #384

While this message thread is old, it is still very relevant. I purchased a 2018 Sandpiper 379FLOK. Had I found this thread before the purchase, I would have done things differently. The 2018 Sandpipers and before are still inadequately air conditioned. Can't believe they still sell units with only one a.c.! My 379FLOK is about to receive a.c. #3 thanks to this thread. Interestingly, the 2019's now offer 3 a.c.'s! Imagine that. lol. Guess they got tired of telling people it only cools 20 degrees below ambient when clearly it wasn't.
USNHMC8408RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNHMC8408RET View Post
While this message thread is old, it is still very relevant. I purchased a 2018 Sandpiper 379FLOK. Had I found this thread before the purchase, I would have done things differently. The 2018 Sandpipers and before are still inadequately air conditioned. Can't believe they still sell units with only one a.c.! My 379FLOK is about to receive a.c. #3 thanks to this thread. Interestingly, the 2019's now offer 3 a.c.'s! Imagine that. lol. Guess they got tired of telling people it only cools 20 degrees below ambient when clearly it wasn't.
While I will agree that the 379FLOK leaves much to be desired as far as AC goes I will also say that it DOESN'T apply to all Sandpipers. I can tell you that my 2017 378FB with 2 factory 15k units will keep us cool in the Outer Banks in the summer when it is 100+ degrees outside.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #386

A.C. and slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
While I will agree that the 379FLOK leaves much to be desired as far as AC goes I will also say that it DOESN'T apply to all Sandpipers. I can tell you that my 2017 378FB with 2 factory 15k units will keep us cool in the Outer Banks in the summer when it is 100+ degrees outside.
I just looked at yours, very nice. I think the number of slides is what drives the problem, at least in mine. I have six slides and of course, they are not sealed 100 percent once extended.

Our two units are approximately the same length. I'm glad you haven't had an issue. I seem to live and exist by Murphy's law. Oh, and I'm the president of the 'buy high sell low club'.

Dave
Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #387

Quote:

What do you mean cool? 73 degrees?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #388

The hottest day at the Outer Banks was 106 with no shade and the warmest it got inside was 71. Most days the outside temp was around 100 and it would stay at 68 where set. Both units ran almost continuously to maintain those temps and I do have the R38 insulation package as well.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #389

Quote:
The hottest day at the Outer Banks was 106 with no shade and the warmest it got inside was 71. Most days the outside temp was around 100 and it would stay at 68 where set. Both units ran almost continuously to maintain those temps and I do have the R38 insulation package as well.

You have a good one then.

We traded our sandpipe for a keystone alpine and i put three on it as well. Just wasnt enough to keep us cool.

We are from nc too. And frequent myrtle beach.

Glad to hear someone at lease got a good unit!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Glad to hear someone at lease got a good unit!
Me too. Disappointed that good unit doesn’t belong to me!!!! the struggle is real. Ours is better with the 3rd a/c but I wish it were better. Still won’t keep it below mid to upper 70s in the living area. Short of replacing the whisper quiet and putting in a dump on that one too I’m not sure what else to do. The BH and the MB can and will get and stay in the low 60s without issue.
And that’s low 60s not using the dumps trying to force air through the ducts into the living area!
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop249 View Post
Me too. Disappointed that good unit doesn’t belong to me!!!! the struggle is real. Ours is better with the 3rd a/c but I wish it were better. Still won’t keep it below mid to upper 70s in the living area. Short of replacing the whisper quiet and putting in a dump on that one too I’m not sure what else to do. The BH and the MB can and will get and stay in the low 60s without issue.
And that’s low 60s not using the dumps trying to force air through the ducts into the living area!

What i have done is added a couple vents back where it was hot and put wash cloths in the vents to block the air from going to the front in my case.

This allows two ac units to pump hard cold air down to my living area and let the one unit cool the bedroom.

It works the best i have found. If not our bedroom will be in the 50s by sundown!
Old 06-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #392

I am sure that having the upgraded R38 insulation package in the floors and ceilings helps a lot. I know that the windows sure conduct a lot of heat as well.
I am not sure how anybody else's ACs are ducted but I have verified that both my units are ducted in the racetrack formation which seems to help. I did have to seal several holes when I first got it but they do really well.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #393

Quote:
I am sure that having the upgraded R38 insulation package in the floors and ceilings helps a lot. I know that the windows sure conduct a lot of heat as well.
I am not sure how anybody else's ACs are ducted but I have verified that both my units are ducted in the racetrack formation which seems to help. I did have to seal several holes when I first got it but they do really well.
Our 2018 379FLOK seems to be ducted the same. Turn either a.c. unit off and it still blows in all vents. I am having the dealer install the 3rd a.c. today. So will let you know what they find and say about the 3rd a.c. install.

I am using a dump on the 3rd a.c. and it is located about half way between the other two a.c.'s as that is the area that gets hot (DR & Kitchen). We use the slide-out dining area as an internet workstation so being cool is very important to get work done without dripping sweat on the keyboards. Opposite of the dining is a full size refrigerator (LG) which I have yet to figure out how to get it to make ice. I assume it was hooked up in the factory but maybe not?

With temps over 90, the best that can be achieved in the middle and front of the camper is about 82 to 88 depending on ambient outside. The front (5th wheel area) is not a MB as others. It is a LR. So of course it gets hot there. Only 2 vents in that area. Once the 3rd a.c. is installed, thinking of installing a couple more vents up there and plan on trying your sock method of controlling optimal flow.

Both of the factory installed a.c.'s blow cold and hard. They obviously figured out that this unit needed a 3rd a.c. since it's on the 2019!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #394

The dealer did not want to install my 3rd a.c. but when I showed the pic of the 2019 they decided they could do it but warned me that Forest River would not cover any thing affected by the install since it is "not meant to have a 3rd a.c.". I said I didn't care. I have a 3rd party warranty in place for the expensive stuff like slides and appliances. As long as the job is done properly and doesn't leak, we will be happy. We head out on a 10 day trip in a few days and so I will have a complete picture of what we are dealing with re: temps and the new a.c.

I have a question for anyone with experience: When the slides are out (we have 6) there are tiny areas where air from outside communicates freely with the my inside air. Is there some fix out there, jerry rig, etc.?
Old 06-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #395

Opposite of the dining is a full size refrigerator (LG) which I have yet to figure out how to get it to make ice.

Do you have drawers next to it? Remove them and look for a shut off. The water may be turned off. I assume you’ve already tried the shut off inside the freezer itself in both positions? I believe with the wire thing down it makes ice.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #396

Quote:
Opposite of the dining is a full size refrigerator (LG) which I have yet to figure out how to get it to make ice.

Do you have drawers next to it? Remove them and look for a shut off. The water may be turned off. I assume you’ve already tried the shut off inside the freezer itself in both positions? I believe with the wire thing down it makes ice.
Well no, I didn't look up in there to see if there was a bale wire to flip. It's a bottom drawer freezer and I simply didn't think to get on my knees and look up in there. I did pull the inside drawer out (removable in this LG) and didn't notice. Will check that out and yes, there are drawers adjacent so will check that out too. Awesome feedback, thanks a million.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #397

Quote:
Our 2018 379FLOK seems to be ducted the same. Turn either a.c. unit off and it still blows in all vents. I am having the dealer install the 3rd a.c. today. So will let you know what they find and say about the 3rd a.c. install.

I am using a dump on the 3rd a.c. and it is located about half way between the other two a.c.'s as that is the area that gets hot (DR & Kitchen). We use the slide-out dining area as an internet workstation so being cool is very important to get work done without dripping sweat on the keyboards. Opposite of the dining is a full size refrigerator (LG) which I have yet to figure out how to get it to make ice. I assume it was hooked up in the factory but maybe not?

With temps over 90, the best that can be achieved in the middle and front of the camper is about 82 to 88 depending on ambient outside. The front (5th wheel area) is not a MB as others. It is a LR. So of course it gets hot there. Only 2 vents in that area. Once the 3rd a.c. is installed, thinking of installing a couple more vents up there and plan on trying your sock method of controlling optimal flow.

Both of the factory installed a.c.'s blow cold and hard. They obviously figured out that this unit needed a 3rd a.c. since it's on the 2019!
There should be a switch on the front of the icemaker. They install 2 shutoff valves on a lot of the sandpipers, 1st one is next to the fridge behind one of the lower drawers or under the sink. The 2nd one is behind the docking station - remove the side or back cover and look around.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #398

Quote:
Well no, I didn't look up in there to see if there was a bale wire to flip. It's a bottom drawer freezer and I simply didn't think to get on my knees and look up in there. I did pull the inside drawer out (removable in this LG) and didn't notice. Will check that out and yes, there are drawers adjacent so will check that out too. Awesome feedback, thanks a million.
You bet! Hope you figure it out. FYI there’s also a great Sandpiper group on Facebook. Sandpiper RV Owners Group.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #399

Quote:
You bet! Hope you figure it out. FYI there’s also a great Sandpiper group on Facebook. Sandpiper RV Owners Group.
Thanks, I just joined.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #400

Quote:
There should be a switch on the front of the icemaker. They install 2 shutoff valves on a lot of the sandpipers, 1st one is next to the fridge behind one of the lower drawers or under the sink. The 2nd one is behind the docking station - remove the side or back cover and look around.
After getting my 3rd ac installed yesterday at the RV shop, I asked them about not getting ice. In my refrigerator -top / freezer-bottom, there is a hidden switch located behind a protruding bar on the 'ceiling' of the freezer section. No bale wire. You have to blindly reach and feel for the switch. Then, as suggested, there was also an on/off valve that is a 'push' tab to stop water or 'pull' to open it for water to go to the freezer. The Tech had a photo of each on his iPhone so that I could see what he was doing. Awesome guy.

3rd a.c. is awesome. Problem solved. Won't know until this weekend how cold I can get the inside temp to but it's suppose to be over 100 so we will see. I could have done this job myself but I'm glad I had them do it. The tech had a couple of issues to deal with that probably would have taken me much longer to figure out and I just didn't have time to do the fix myself. I had ordered all the parts myself to save money but couldn't get an a.c. unit here in time for me to leave on my trip. So, naturally I paid a fortune for the a.c. unit and hourly wage of the tech. It looks professionally done and I'm happy. End of that story.