Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

bike rack???

I have a new sandpiper select 32 QBBS and have asked my dealer for a Forest River approved bike rack option for my trailer. He said that they recommend a bumper hitch and that FR will void the frame warranty if I put a frame mounted hitch on it. After asking my dealer "if my bumper falls off from a bike rack, will FR cover it", he wouldn't give a yes or no answer.
I looked on the FR website for a # to contact someone directly but didn't have any luck.. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Dan
dan.held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Even a cursory check here will give you some great advice.
I will save you a great deal of angst.

DO NOT PUT A BIKE RACK ON THE BACK OF YOUR CAMPER

FR will void your frame warranty for any modification to your frame. This includes the crappy tin bumper. They will allow the spare tire assembly, but ONLY if it was factory installed as an option. (Keep your documentation that you ordered it that way).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks Lou. I know better than to put a hitch on the bumper, but I can't get my dealer to contact FR direct. Their website is not any help either as it doesn't have any contact info (phone or email) on there.
Thank You for the quick response. Maybe I can find a # for FR
Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

I've seen a lot on this topic. we just put ours inside. We drop the dinette and lay them there....
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

We used to do that with the old fifth but the wife said "no way" to that in HER new camper.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.held View Post
We used to do that with the old fifth but the wife said "no way" to that in HER new camper.
I did the rear bumper "around the tire" type bike mount for a trip to the CAT SCALE prior to departure for FL our first big trip.

When I stopped at the scale a guy pulled in behind me and told me the bikes were bouncing all over the place and looked like they were going to fall off.

I looked them over and the seems secure to me. Hard headed pilot that I am I headed out for Andrews FAMCAMP our first stop. See snow picture.
By the next stop the bumper caps had worked their way completely out and we lost both of them. The bikes spent the rest of the 3 months riding inside the camper.

Next we tried the front of the truck. After about 150 bucks worth of hardware and a new bike carrier, this worked much better until I noticed the front of the hood had tons of dents in it from the handle bars.

After about 500 bucks worth of attempts, the bikes ride inside now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key West 056.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	11295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	11296  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Oh, and this is why FR voids the warranty if anything but their spare tire rides the bumper. I have avoided this so far with mine, but the Blue Boy still ride it. It is secured to the ladder as well as the bumper and does not move up and down like the bikes.

These photos belong to a member who was lucky a motorist spotted the failure before he lost his bikes. Another mile or two (or a cop) and the story would have had a very sad ending.

Heed or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00301.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	11297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00302.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	11298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00303.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	11299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00304.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	11300  
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Oh, and this is why FR voids the warranty if anything but their spare tire rides the bumper. I have avoided this so far with mine, but the Blue Boy still ride it. It is secured to the ladder as well as the bumper and does not move up and down like the bikes.

These photos belong to a member who was lucky a motorist spotted the failure before he lost his bikes. Another mile or two (or a cop) and the story would have had a very sad ending.

Heed or not.

Correction: The above photos belong to me and that was a result of the spare tire mounted to the bumper. There were no bikes attached when this happened. I did have bikes attached on one short trip and the bouncing bikes damaged the window frame on the rear of the camper. I removed the bikes at that point and did not use the bike carrier since. Almost two months later, and a few thousand kilometers, with just the weight of the spare tire, the welds broke as you can see. I would strongly recommend against applying any stress to the rear bumper, as it is designed only to carry a sewer hose.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

7 years ago I mounted bikes on the back and a handle bar
went right through the back of of the tt 3 times.
I would suggest you find other options to carry your bikes
In the end you'll regret it if you don't.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Correction: The above photos belong to me and that was a result of the spare tire mounted to the bumper. There were no bikes attached when this happened. I did have bikes attached on one short trip and the bouncing bikes damaged the window frame on the rear of the camper. I removed the bikes at that point and did not use the bike carrier since. Almost two months later, and a few thousand kilometers, with just the weight of the spare tire, the welds broke as you can see. I would strongly recommend against applying any stress to the rear bumper, as it is designed only to carry a sewer hose.
Thanks for clarifying Terry. The photos make an excellent exclamation point to the fragility of Ultra-Lite construction. I most likely filed all the bumper horror stories, here and on other forums, in one mental bin; and there are many. The photos you submitted are stored on my camper's (and home) computer's hard drive and have used them for show and tell at many camp fire discussions on bumper mount storage options.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

Thanks for clarifying Terry. The photos make an excellent exclamation point to the fragility of Ultra-Lite construction. I most likely filed all the bumper horror stories, here and on other forums, in one mental bin; and there are many. The photos you submitted are stored on my camper's (and home) computer's hard drive and have used them for show and tell at many camp fire discussions on bumper mount storage options.
My last camper had a curt frame mounted hitch on it, as I also pulled a small boat in tandem, I was wanting to put that hitch on my sandpiper, but was told that I could not by the dealer. I thought that would be the best until they said it would void the warranty. That is when I asked them to tell me what my option was that wouldn't void my warranty, that's when they said a bumper mount, or a ladder mount but need storage for 3-4 bikes, I disagreed with him as I have seen bumpers with those kinds of hitches, and have heard about gel coats cracking with ladder mounts.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.held View Post
My last camper had a curt frame mounted hitch on it, as I also pulled a small boat in tandem, I was wanting to put that hitch on my sandpiper, but was told that I could not by the dealer. I thought that would be the best until they said it would void the warranty. That is when I asked them to tell me what my option was that wouldn't void my warranty, that's when they said a bumper mount, or a ladder mount but need storage for 3-4 bikes, I disagreed with him as I have seen bumpers with those kinds of hitches, and have heard about gel coats cracking with ladder mounts.
I have also heard of bikes causing damage to the ladder mounts and gel coat siding as well. Feel free to disagree. Also feel free to pony up cash for any damage caused to the camper or bikes lost to the freeway gods.

Big world out there with lots of opinions. I won't follow a camper with bikes on the bumper though...

Oh, one more thing. I still have my curt bumper mount receiver on the camper's bumper. I used it for storing the bikes when in camp after hauling them there on the front of the truck. I have also used it as a flag pole mount. No bikes live there any more.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #13

I got extremely lucky and got a used 3 bike DFX Arvika/Top Pop Rails setup with the auto receiver bracket for $350 on Craigslist. This is the only company I'm aware of with a rack that will mount to the front of your trailer above the propane tanks. This would have cost ~$1,200 new. I haven't put it on yet, but am impressed with it so far.

Arvika
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
I got extremely lucky and got a used 3 bike DFX Arvika/Top Pop Rails setup with the auto receiver bracket for $350 on Craigslist. This is the only company I'm aware of with a rack that will mount to the front of your trailer above the propane tanks. This would have cost ~$1,200 new. I haven't put it on yet, but am impressed with it so far.

Arvika

A definate solution for the fifth wheel as well. It being a Canadian product, sounds like a trip to the US to get it cheaper (tongue firmly implanted in cheek)
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack