Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #1

Black Water Tanks

Does anyone know what drains go into the "Black Water" tanks?
I have a 2015 Sandpiper 377flik, the washer/dryer combo in the bedroom closet in the rear, bathroom, kitchen.
I have 2 Black Water tanks, Grey water tank, Galley Tank, Fresh Water Tank. I do not feel that my unit is plumbed right.
My main Black Water Tank (#1) fills up, even when the toilet is not used, I must dump it every 3 days or it overflows (The toilet does not leak or run, so no water goes in from it without "flushing").
Last night I went to "flush" the toilet, pushed the peddle and when it opened up sewage blew back up and hit me in the face!!! I'm 6'2"!! I was not a "Happy Camper"

I had to "reset" the toilet because they didn't do it right at the factory, it leaked out on the floor, into the heating duct and down below in the insulation because the seal ring wasn't on right and the dealer told me it would be 2 months before they could "Fit me in". I had it done in 15 minutes, but there is a "Principle" involved here. LOL

I "assumed" (silly me) that the toilet went to Tank #1, Washer went to Tank #2 (I leave it open all the time), Shower and sink went to Grey water and kitchen went to Galley. BUT, something is not right

I LOVE my RV, but this is driving me nuts! I live in it full time by myself. My usage of the toilet should not require me to dump any more than once every 2 weeks. With work, I am not home enough to use it that much.

So, if anyone can please tell me what is plumbed where I would truly appreciate it.
TurkeyBranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #2

Holy Crap that "blow back" sux. I am considering putting a high water alarm (have one in my boat). Will kick it on when parked. Those idiot lights are not dependable. Just have to figure out how to install.....

I wondered the same thing for my rig. I only have 1 black and 1 grey tank. I noticed the black filling faster... I turned on each sink 1 at a time and listen from underneath the for water noise. Found out my bathroom sink also goes into the black tank.

I contacted FR and asked them to confirm what feeds the black tank. They said ONLY the toilet goes into the black tank.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Team

The best way to figure out how it's all plumbed is to completely drain all the tanks and close all the valves.

Then pick one water source (sink faucet, toilet, lavatory, clothes washer, shower, etc.) and turn it on and run several gallons of water through it and then go out and open the valves one at a time until you find the one with the water in it.

Then simply repeat the process for all the other sources. Then you'll be sure of what feeds each tank.

We had a RV once and the lavatory sink drained into the black tank. It was actually a good deal because it lessened the load in the gray tank and added extra water to the black tank.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The best way to figure out how it's all plumbed is to completely drain all the tanks and close all the valves.

Then pick one water source (sink faucet, toilet, lavatory, clothes washer, shower, etc.) and turn it on and run several gallons of water through it and then go out and open the valves one at a time until you find the one with the water in it.

Then simply repeat the process for all the other sources. Then you'll be sure of what feeds each tank.

We had a RV once and the lavatory sink drained into the black tank. It was actually a good deal because it lessened the load in the gray tank and added extra water to the black tank.

Bama Rambler,
I will have to do it that way. I was looking for the lazy solution (meaning someone knew and could tell me), then I could just continue to complain from my computer chair without having to put effort in it.

It just REALLY makes no sense the way it is. But, I do need to know what is going on because it only allows me 3 days max before the tank must be emptied. Don't want know "poopy face" again.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:45 PM   #5

I purchased my 2015 377flik back in april of 2015. I found out very quickly that somethin was not right about my black tank filling up in just a few days. I haven't had "poopy face" but it splashed over the rim a lil! Did a lil reading and found out that black tank #1 is only 32 gallons. Also just by playing around with the faucets that the bathroom sink drains into black tank #1, i believe that is the main reason it fills so quickly.

I'm not sure if you had any experience with the furnace or not yet. I am livin in texas, and just now using the furnace. I have done a little trouble shooting with and i still can not get the thing to ignite. What i guess my real question is, is how do i get access to the furnace?? I really do not see a way to get to it.
txpiper1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpiper1983 View Post
I purchased my 2015 377flik back in april of 2015. I found out very quickly that somethin was not right about my black tank filling up in just a few days. I haven't had "poopy face" but it splashed over the rim a lil! Did a lil reading and found out that black tank #1 is only 32 gallons. Also just by playing around with the faucets that the bathroom sink drains into black tank #1, i believe that is the main reason it fills so quickly.

I'm not sure if you had any experience with the furnace or not yet. I am livin in texas, and just now using the furnace. I have done a little trouble shooting with and i still can not get the thing to ignite. What i guess my real question is, is how do i get access to the furnace?? I really do not see a way to get to it.
Yes, I figured that out as well. I guess they have the sink drain into it to make sure there is plenty of "fluid" to flush out the "solids". It really is a pain because the tank is so small.
I have a washer/dryer combo in the bedroom closet and so I figured that is where the 2nd blackwater tank is. I'm not sure if anything else uses it, I just leave the valve open all of the time because I put a load of clothes in to wash/dry every morning before leaving for work.
BTW, the washer seems to be the only thing that makes this RV "rock"....I wonder if a kingpin stabilizer would help that?
I have the electric jacks in the back, hydraulic legs in the front, x-stabilizers on each side between the wheels.
Anyway, if anyone has experience with stopping the "rocking" with a washing machine, let me know.

As far as the Furnace goes...I have had no issues with it. I have used it from March 4, 2015 until it warmed up and have been using it this fall and winter.
I am NOT sure, but I think the vents in the stairs give some access to it, I have not pulled them to look, but that is what I thought they were for.

I have to turn the system off at the thermostat and then turn it back on if I have run out of propane. I guess it is a safety feature. It took me a minute to figure that out when I ran out of propane on a 26 degree night and had to change the tanks out at 2 am.

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank