Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Catalytic Heater Mod (Olympian Wave 8)

Anybody add/supplement their furnace with an Olympian Catalytic Heater?

My understanding is that I can T-off from the gas line at the stove;

Connecting to a wave 8 should heat the RearLiving/Kitchen area well, but I'm thinking I'd need another wave (possibly just the 3) to heat the bedroom/bathroom & mid-bunk (not necessarily at the same time)

Note: we Boondock 24/7/365, so this modification allows zero power consumption and uses half? the amount of propane to heat unit, and should heat unit more effectively;

our furnace heats bedroom, bathroom & mid-bunk decently, but NOT RearLiving/Kitchen (which I believe is par for the course)

- does anyone here have a 40' SandPiper wherefore the furnace adequately heats the RearLiving/Kitchen area in 40deg evenings/30deg mornings?

All feedback appreciated
371REBH_SandPiper-2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

One thing to be mindful of is you'll still need to heat the underbelly in periods of prolonged below freezing periods. That's the one thing the furnace is good about since it has duct work that often dumps out into there.

Unless you mod the furnace to be able to activate it's blower, but that brings you right back to the power consumption.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371REBH_SandPiper-2016 View Post
but I'm thinking I'd need another wave (possibly just the 3) to heat the bedroom/bathroom & mid-bunk (not necessarily at the same time)
Is the 3 portable? How will you get heat into those areas?
Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Oly Wave 3/6/8 are all portable, though connected to a gas line;

With doors open to bath/bedroom, the Wave3 in the hallway 'should' heat such... Then separately, with Wave 3 near open doorway of mid-bunk (note: I don't need to heat bed/bath/mid at same time; so I could have phase1 bed/bath, then move the Wave3 down the hall for phase2 sotospeak)

Note: all while concurrently running a Wave8 in the RearLiving area
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #5

Note: this mod is not to deal with freezing/below Freezing temps; mainly just evening 40s & morning-high 30s
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Note: this mod is not to deal with freezing/below Freezing temps; mainly just evening 40s & morning-high 30s
Make sure you provide adequate ventilation. Catalytic heaters put out CO and also water vapor. You'll get condensation (and possibly asphyxiated) if you aren't adequately vented.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Anybody add/supplement their furnace with an Olympian Catalytic Heater?

My understanding is that I can T-off from the gas line at the stove;

Connecting to a wave 8 should heat the RearLiving/Kitchen area well, but I'm thinking I'd need another wave (possibly just the 3) to heat the bedroom/bathroom & mid-bunk (not necessarily at the same time)

Note: we Boondock 24/7/365, so this modification allows zero power consumption and uses half? the amount of propane to heat unit, and should heat unit more effectively;

our furnace heats bedroom, bathroom & mid-bunk decently, but NOT RearLiving/Kitchen (which I believe is par for the course)

- does anyone here have a 40' SandPiper wherefore the furnace adequately heats the RearLiving/Kitchen area in 40deg evenings/30deg mornings?

All feedback appreciated
I had a friend that had these heaters in his camper. I was totally impressed with how well they work. Someone mentioned that you need to have ventilation which is true so they just cracked a window in each room. Even with the window cracked open, these heaters will almost run you out of the camper on low. They were installed in their camper by the dealer new so they were all attached to the wall or cabinet. They had nothing but glowing remarks about them. Size each heater to the area you are putting it in and you should be good to go.

Safe travels,

Alan
Old 12-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Heater

I have a Wave-6 that I have used for 5 years. I tee'd off my propane under the stove and ran a hose with a female QD on it that drops out just below my fridge out of the way. I also have a hose with a male QD on the heater itself. I can move the heater around to where I want it but usually leave it sitting on top of the stove cover. My motorhome is only 24' but the Wave-6 on low setting heats the entire area very comfortably. I used it in my pop-up before that. My dogs love to sit in front of it. It sips propane and uses no electrical power. I love it but be sure to get a cover to prevent element contamination from dust.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awilson View Post
I had a friend that had these heaters in his camper. I was totally impressed with how well they work. Someone mentioned that you need to have ventilation which is true so they just cracked a window in each room. Even with the window cracked open, these heaters will almost run you out of the camper on low. They were installed in their camper by the dealer new so they were all attached to the wall or cabinet. They had nothing but glowing remarks about them. Size each heater to the area you are putting it in and you should be good to go.

Safe travels,

Alan
Thank you
Old 12-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I have a Wave-6 that I have used for 5 years. I tee'd off my propane under the stove and ran a hose with a female QD on it that drops out just below my fridge out of the way. I also have a hose with a male QD on the heater itself. I can move the heater around to where I want it but usually leave it sitting on top of the stove cover. My motorhome is only 24' but the Wave-6 on low setting heats the entire area very comfortably. I used it in my pop-up before that. My dogs love to sit in front of it. It sips propane and uses no electrical power. I love it but be sure to get a cover to prevent element contamination from dust.
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm intending to do (w/ perhaps a Wave8 cause 40' fifth wheel)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #11

Suicide by heater...
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

Catalytic heater

I’m on my fourth season with wave 8. TT now is 28’ I use as supplemental to furnace but once up to temp the furnace hardly comes on. I use during 4 week deer season in NE. November. Temps usually low 20 at night. Does a great job. Condensation is issue, we do crack a window and when I leave in am I turn all off and open windows and ceiling vents. Since doing that condensation doesn’t get out of hand. Down side when returning from long day hunt you have to heat TT up again. No sense running heat all day when unoccupied
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #13

This mid bunk room is different than mine. But I also struggled with bedroom smoking hot, living area barely warm. One thing not to do is block the vent in the bedroom. It will blow apart the vent in the furnace area. Block the vent at the plenium which will force more air into the living area. I rerouted my vent (after blowing it apart) into my bunk room but it opens into my living area. The bedroom gets plenty warm just because heat rises.
1998 Rockwood popup
John Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, heater