Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Front Landing Gear Question

Hi Guys

Question: When looking at my 365-SAQ head on, the left front landing gear looks crooked....when comparing to the right...

Picture attached, not sure if you can see it....but its slightly crooked...is it supposed to be?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tassmer Front Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	29269  
tromler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks kicked out to me.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

ALL of them are that way. A member here took his off and straightened it up and the trailer shook a LOT more, so he put it back where it was. Even though it looks funny, he is much happier now.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
ALL of them are that way. A member here took his off and straightened it up and the trailer shook a LOT more, so he put it back where it was. Even though it looks funny, he is much happier now.

Why one side and not the other, as evident in this picture?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #5

Thanks All

Monty, is yours like this on your 365? Looks odd, but i guess if that was the design...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromler View Post
Thanks All

Monty, is yours like this on your 365? Looks odd, but i guess if that was the design...
No, I have the older style, but Dane's is like that as well as Marc's. I really have no idea why unless they were trying to miss something in the front or unless it is for stabilizing them.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Looks to me like the right one is kicked in and the left is kicked out. If they are mounted like mine, they can be straightened in the mounts and I would definitely add cross stabilizers.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

Yo guys I saw this and had to laugh. When I got my 2013 365 home I started looking it over very closely and after seeing the substandard quality of the welds by Lippert on the pin box and frame I assumed the landing gear was installed incorrectly. So while readjusting the landing gear height I squared the legs up with some wedge spacers I made and found no ill effects, now we haven't spent an extended period of time in it yet but in the driveway in and out while loading it up with kids in and out there hasn't been any problems or additional movement. However I did call Lippert and they said this was designed that way to triangulate the stance and give added side to side movement reduction. I questioned them about the lateral packing and ram stresses and had noticed all the passenger side landing gear rams were wet or weepy with oil on all the new units. Their response was "no response", so having a working knowledge with hydraulic cylinders I chose to keep mine squared up to help the packing and cylinder work under the load and weight displacement it was designed to. Just my option.

On another note a lot of the new units have the jacks in front of and behind the axles this is absolutely my next addition these additional jacks really help to make this size of an RV rock solid on set up.

Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

CRAZY. So I am wondering if I make a warranty issue of this? Force them to repair? Or do you think Lippert will tell Forrest River, it was designed that way and functioning correctly?

Looks weird to me.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromler View Post
CRAZY. So I am wondering if I make a warranty issue of this? Force them to repair? Or do you think Lippert will tell Forrest River, it was designed that way and functioning correctly?

Looks weird to me.
It sounds like Supercab says he called Lippert already and they say its by design.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

I would do as supercab79 did and straighten them myself and then add the cross brace stabilizers.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #12

I was told by Wayne at Forest River that I should call Lippert which I did but right before hanging up he said " if I were u I would remove the shims before going in for service or your dealer might void your frame warranty" it went in for service and the dealer literally couldn't fix the real problems let alone notice the landing gear being straight. A buddy of mine with a Montana which is heavier and he simply used washers 4 on the top bolt 3 on the next bolts down 2 and none on the bottom and his looks and works fine also. No braces needed on his.
Unfortunately this is just another example of the lack of R and D in the RV industry solving one issue causes another and so on and so on. For me it started as a cosmetic issue then after a little thought And research I didn't want the lateral loading on the seals or cylinder body so I resolved it to MY liking.

Hope this helps
Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Or it is just the frame manufacturer dreaming up excuses for their shoddy workmanship.
Any "triangulation" achieved by having the legs slightly out of verticle would not be measurable.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercab79 View Post
I was told by Wayne at Forest River that I should call Lippert which I did but right before hanging up he said " if I were u I would remove the shims before going in for service or your dealer might void your frame warranty" it went in for service and the dealer literally couldn't fix the real problems let alone notice the landing gear being straight. A buddy of mine with a Montana which is heavier and he simply used washers 4 on the top bolt 3 on the next bolts down 2 and none on the bottom and his looks and works fine also. No braces needed on his.
Unfortunately this is just another example of the lack of R and D in the RV industry solving one issue causes another and so on and so on. For me it started as a cosmetic issue then after a little thought And research I didn't want the lateral loading on the seals or cylinder body so I resolved it to MY liking.

Hope this helps
Marc

Thanks! Good info!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would do as supercab79 did and straighten them myself and then add the cross brace stabilizers.
I'm not sure how to add cross braces on the hydraulic version of the jacks, has anyone done it?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinit View Post
I'm not sure how to add cross braces on the hydraulic version of the jacks, has anyone done it?
Don't have hydraulic jacks, but it shouldn't make any difference. You go from the frame down to the pad on the opposite jack. One on the front side of one jack down to the opposite jack pad and the other on the back side of the jack.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #17

I simply welded the bracket on the braces to the feet on my camper. I welded one side. That way I could pry the other side to remove them if needed.
SwensonBarrettBunch is offline   Reply With Quote