Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

Haunted Sandpiper

Our 2014 35ROK is working great for us with so far. Several warranty issues have been resolved with a couple more minor ones to be taken care of. But, and here is the but-the bathroom floor squeaks badly at times and so does the floor in front of the island. This morning it squeaked something awful before we went to town. When we returned no squeak..

Temperature and humidity involved here, or is it something in the structure
under the floor??
Comments and suggestions welcomed before we call "Ghost Hunters".

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

As of today - at 1530 hours central my post has been looked at 37 times but no response. This is NOT a Halloween joke. I would like some advise here. No one has ever had squeaky floors???
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

Only in my S&B home.
My wooden floors have a subfloor, consisting of boards on joists, then a layer of plywood sheets, then the actual flooring.
It was common to put a layer of roofing felt, or tar paper, between the subfloor and floor to keep the two woods from rubbing together and squeaking.
When I replaced the flooring in my very squeaky kitchen, I put down a layer of luan, using a blue million decking screws. This helped lock the layers together and eliminate 98% of the squeaks.
Your squeaks are most probably caused by sheets of plywood rubbing against each other at their joins. Possibly they are not tongue and groove; or an insufficient number of fasteners were used to anchor them to the joists. Or the joists are rubbing on the metal frame.
You are right, though, it is caused by temperature and/or humidity making the wood swell and shrink. You can expect the squeaks to come and go, and possibly move to other locations. Though the heavy traffic areas are normally the worst offenders.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Our 2014 35ROK is working great for us with so far. Several warranty issues have been resolved with a couple more minor ones to be taken care of. But, and here is the but-the bathroom floor squeaks badly at times and so does the floor in front of the island. This morning it squeaked something awful before we went to town. When we returned no squeak..

Temperature and humidity involved here, or is it something in the structure
under the floor??
Comments and suggestions welcomed before we call "Ghost Hunters".

Dave
By chance is the squeak near a floor vent for the heating system? I know of a couple of others that we camp with that have squeaks near the floor vents as the floor flexes more near them.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sandpiper