Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Help Please - Inverter not functioning

I have a 2015 355RE Sandpiper with the RESIDENTIAL refrigerator. The inverter switch light does not come on at the panel and the refrigerator is not cooling while the trailer is in tow. Can anyone give me the location of the inverter on this model 5th wheel so I can check it out and does anyone have some suggestions on what might be the cause of the malfunction?

Thanking you in advance
rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Hey, on our 371rebh the inverter is located under the stairs.... It was accessible from the storage near the entrance door.

Did you make sure your battery disconnect in the storage is turned on? Wires properly connected to the batteries and they are charged?

There is a fuse in the inverter that could of blown.

( see inverter bottom left of pic )

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434484705.303105.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	80174

Our inverter was working but was connected to the microwave instead of the fridge....

Good luck.
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll see if that's where it is located.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

Red face Re-read your response

I went back and read your response. Please clarify on the battery disconnect. I am not sure where it is actually set (not at trailer site) but I thought that turning battery disconnect on turned off the batteries. Right now my lights work as do my jacks and slides. If this is the case is the battery disconnect set to right position for my inverter to work? Sorry for the questions but I am brand new to RVing and know nothing.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
clr

Every model is wired somewhat differently. But if the lights work in the unit the batteries are not disconnected. When the disconnect is in the proper position the lights will not work. If you want the inverter to operate it must be connected to the batteries of course. On my Sanibel I also have a residential frig with an inverter, so when driving down the road I have the batteries connected and the inverter for the ref turned on. Mine has a green light when turned on and some status lights for the invereter.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #6

Hey. On our unit sandpiper (371REBH) the battery disconnect is located in the basement storage on the passenger side. If this is turned off the inverter will not work.

I've been in contact with our dealer since the only thing it turns off is the inverter. The lights and jack still work and the batteries still get charged. Apparently that is how forest river designed it to work.

Our friends bought the exact same trailer and theirs works the same as ours. I added a battery disconnect to be able to disconnect them.

There are two pairs of wires going to the batteries. (1 is the inverter and the other is the trailer plug / wiring) Are they both connected?
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Since you are not getting a green light on the remote switch, the inverter is not coming on. Lots of things could be wrong from simple stuff to more complicated stuff. I guess if you call your light switch a "light off" switch, it needs to be off for the light to be on. The battery disconnect switch...disconnects the batteries, it's better to say the batteries are on or off, rather than the disconnect is on! (couldn't help myself, sorry) First, find the inverter and turn it on directly on it panel. If that turns it on, check the low voltage "phone wire" that runs from the inverter itself to the remote on/off switch. It it doesn't, put a volt meter across the heavy gauge cables on the back and see if it reads 12 volts or so, if it doesn't, chase it down and see why it isn't connecting to the batteries. If there is 12V, and the inverter won't go on from the panel, there is a fault in the inverter. A lot depends on the inverter itself, on my Xantrex, there is a 100 amp fuse OUTSIDE the inverter where the positive wire connects. Find your fuse and check it out.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

you most likely have to reset it turn power to it off and a/c power off then turn it on 1 at a time
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

You might also check to make sure that the master power switch on the inverter itself is in the "on" position. Once on the inverter can be controlled from the remote panel.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #10

Thanks to all of you for the great help. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

I replaced my battery with a AGM 125AH deep cycle. The battery that came with my trailer was junk.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #12

Check the connections at the battery to make sure it is connected. There is a second set of cables on mine just for the inverter. Mine were not connected when it came from dealer.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter