Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #11

I am running the dumps right now. I tried to run the duct yesterday afternoon and the temp rose 3 deg in 15 min. Open the dumps and it dropped back down. I have good airflow coming out of the duct vents, but not enough to cool the RV.

We are hitting 101 - 106 here in the heat of the day and I have no shade at all. My left / kitchen wall is due west and it catches all the sun. I have direct sun from 8 am until 8 pm. I know this has a lot to do with the heat load. I have had to run patio misters on the roof and on the west side to help cool the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
While a 20 degree differential is commonly understood, it is possible to achieve temps on the low 70s in some RVs when the outside misery index is in the high 90s. While I hesitate to compare mine with yours, after we complained about no air getting to the BR, the dealer tech was quoted as saying "some of your ducting is crushed." FR did step up and installed a second AC in the BR, but now we experience much condensation on the ceiling under, you guessed it, the crushed ducting. I don't know if your Sandpiper is built in the same factory as mine, or even if your ducting is similar, but you might want to check it out.

scottg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have a 15k and a 13.5k on my Sierra 365saq and I have cooled it down to 69 in 102 heat full sun. 2 weeks ago, at the Nashville rally it was in the upper 90's during the day 95% humidity, and rv never went above 70. Both units are Dometic full size. There were a few "southern" folks (Bombdoc), that came inside and were cold.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Picture of the solar panel for the solar fan that I installed for the fridge. This was the Camco fan / vent. I can't use the vent because my fridge is in the slide out. I took the panel off and set it on top of the slide out. I guess it got a little hot. The pic does not show how bad that it is, but the cover has melted from the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150812_202257.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	85620  
Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

I looked up your 5er on the Forest River website and under specs it says "R-38 Roof & All Floors Insulation...Double fiberglass insulation in roof and floor." It doesn't specifically say the end cap and floors/ceilings of slide outs are insulated. I realize online info can be a bit simplistic, but in a unit as nice as yours, I would think they are. As you said being in the full sun with no shade has a great deal to do with the heat your unit is generating But even being a newbie, I'm agreeing with you that since your ac units are working well, it's obvious that something else is going on. Is there someone at your dealership or a contact with Forest River that could help you out?

Does it stay at reasonable temps during the cold weather?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #15

Insulation is insulation and it works exactly the same in cold as it does in the heat. If lacking it in the summer you will be lacking it in the winter. Winter can be worse because of pipe freeze damage then water leaks and the likes.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #16

Yes, R-38 in the roof is almost 10" thick fiberglass. When they changed my A/C out Wednesday, I saw what was up there and not even close to R-38. The R-38E is calculated including the radiant barrier. I think the walls are R-10E. The "E" stands for "Effective". I have seen several that have that designation.

I know that I did not buy a top of the line RV, not for what I paid for it. Half the MSRP of the Jayco that I looked at comparable. That is why I have not had any issue with doing the upgrades that I have done. it is a much better unit than when I bought it. I was loosing so much cold air in the pass through storage. That has been fixed now. Everything helps on the RV. I live full time in mine due to work. I have the time to do the little things that will make it much better. I have on the list to do the inside of the nose cap with spray foam to help that out some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootingranny View Post
I looked up your 5er on the Forest River website and under specs it says "R-38 Roof & All Floors Insulation...Double fiberglass insulation in roof and floor." It doesn't specifically say the end cap and floors/ceilings of slide outs are insulated. I realize online info can be a bit simplistic, but in a unit as nice as yours, I would think they are. As you said being in the full sun with no shade has a great deal to do with the heat your unit is generating But even being a newbie, I'm agreeing with you that since your ac units are working well, it's obvious that something else is going on. Is there someone at your dealership or a contact with Forest River that could help you out?

Does it stay at reasonable temps during the cold weather?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #17

Does the A/C cool it off in there at night???
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #18

Yes, they will cycle and cool with no problem. The rear will not be off long, but it can handle the night heat load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Does the A/C cool it off in there at night???
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #19

I'd let that puppy run in full cool setting and use a blanket it you get cold cause when the sun comes up it will warm you up.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 08-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #20

I also have a 360PDEK but have not had any cooling issues. Mine sits 100% in the sun, no shade, 95-100 degree Alabama heat and humidity and can cool it down without issue. I make sure the rear deck is up and closes when it gets to hot and that makes a big difference.

I also pulled my last two end vents and stuff towels in them to keep the cold air from going past those vents. Lot more air flow now. Also have toppers over all three slides, keep pillows in the roof vents and removed the inner skylight cover over the shower and sandwiched insulated reflective windshield cover in there and reassembled.

I am having one issue and that losing a good bit of cooled air from the vents into the attic area. The dealer has my unit and is looking into this. Pull your kitchen roof vent trim and see if you have cold air up there. Not sure what the fix is but they said it may have to go back to FR to be corrected.

Run both A/C's 24-7 to cool it down and to help it stay cool. Hope some this helps.

Oh, check your bracing on your fresh water tank to make sure its properly welded. My tank fell out four weeks ago as we were getting ready to head out.