Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

HOT RV

I have the 360PDEK 2014. Let me start here and say that I am not happy at all with the unit. Yesterday, I had the rear A/C replaced under warranty. It was not cooling well. Zone 1 will not get below 85 in the heat of the day. Duct dump is open. Floor fan 20" to move the air. Every window with radiant barrier. 15 ft sun screen on kitchen slide, staked and tied out. 3/4" foil backed insulation on top of the slides and it will not cool down. The front A/C will cool with the duct dump open, but not well using the duct. I am in West Houston Texas area right now, but this is not right. dual 15K units should cool the RV.

The heat load is too much for the A/C's. I took temp readings at 5 pm on the back wall above the window. 112.3 degF inside. If I did not have the sun screen and radiant barrier and the foil backed foam on top of the slides, I would not even know that I had A/C. I am getting 19 - 20 degF temp difference between return and supply air.

After the A/C was replaced yesterday, I turned both down to 75 ducted and left. I returned at 4:30 pm to find the rear at 85 and the front at 78. That is not right at all. I am very disappointed in the RV.

When I went to do the walk around and pick it up. They had it under a big cover out of the sun. I walked in that morning and it was 65 degF inside. A/C worked fine all night under a cover. Would work fine in a shady area, but not in direct sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_132533.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	85508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150812_172521.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	85509  

scottg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

From what I consistently read, 20 differential is about all you can expect. If you are in full sun, even with the extra reflective surfaces you have in place, 80 is pertinent the best you'll get. I know a couple members have removed their AC shrouds and covered them with reflective insulation wrap and had some success. What'd the air temp coming from vents or air dump? I know on my Sabre, in 95+ temps, it doesn't get much below 80 unless shaded until bedtime. You could look into adding a third AC. A couple folks have done that with great success too.

jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #3

Yep a 20 deg. delta means it's doing all it can do. Insulating under the a/C shroud will help a little bit cause there isn't much of anything insulating the evaporator coil housing. I'd also seal all plumbing and electrical floor penetrations with foam.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #4

We have a Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL which is either 40' or 39' 4" depending on the online source you look at. We recently camped in temps of over 100 degrees and we had a learning curve with our ac. After two days we realized that we needed to keep the main living area a/c (15000) on all day at 76 and the 2nd unit in the bedroom (13500) turned on to coldest at about 10am to keep it at about 78-80 during the day. We would turn off the bedroom ac at night (around 8 or 9pm) and we were comfortable. We are, however, not used to being cold at night in the summer. We keep our home ac at 78-80. We have some friends with a smaller V-Lite and he likes to keep it cold, cold cold...so cold that she has to use the electric blanket at night. It's a smaller rig with lower ceilings so it's easier for them to keep it cold (not just cool but cold). The other times we've camped have been in the 80-90 degree range and it was easier to keep it cool. We are going to get some reflectix to put in the vents and skylights to help keep out the heat.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
From what I consistently read, 20 differential is about all you can expect. If you are in full sun, even with the extra reflective surfaces you have in place, 80 is pertinent the best you'll get. I know a couple members have removed their AC shrouds and covered them with reflective insulation wrap and had some success. What'd the air temp coming from vents or air dump? I know on my Sabre, in 95+ temps, it doesn't get much below 80 unless shaded until bedtime. You could look into adding a third AC. A couple folks have done that with great success too.

Ditto...that's life with an RV air condition system!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear
Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #6

Oh and ya wanna know how hot it was when we were camping and could still keep temps 78-80 (which is still comfortable for us). We went walking in the lake, then in the sand beach. Got back to the rv site which was a great concrete padded area. Left flip flops outside and this is what they looked like the next day. AND we were under trees with shade and the awning.... back end of sandals totally warped (and these were my favorite Addidas flip flops!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2856.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	85611  
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

My A/C's are working and working well. The RV is is not working. 100 outside, I should get 80 inside. I get 85 with all the extra that I have done. I check the same spot on the wall yesterday and got 122 degF. If I were to remove what I have done, I would not get anywhere near 20 deg delta. No way. I have filled more air leaks in plumbing cut outs. I have insulated the pass through storage. I have insulated the floor with real R-30 bats. I put 18 large cans of Great Stuff foam in the closet and bedroom floor. There was no insulation there at all. Just plywood and then the fiberglass. I did that for winter, but helps in summer too.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Is your unit equipped with the Polar Tech Package which is R-38 insulation in the floors and roof??? Walls are R-10 insulation.
With that kind of insulation you shouldn't be having this issue.
Mine is a 42" 5er with R-34 in roof and R-38 in the floor and R-11 in walls, we can freeze out in it and we do it on purpose. I set ours on 55 one time when it was 95 outside and we gave in and turned it back up. Now during the 100 plus deg. days we set it on 65 to precool it during the night then the temp will creep up to about 75 in the day.
Wonder if they forgot to insulate your roof? I'd check that if at all possible to do.

Our floor in the bedroom is just plywood also and before winter I'm going to put some foam insulation board on it and also going to be checking my front cap that I hear they don't insulate. Other than that though ours is ok.
Something with yours isn't adding up like they didn't insulate the roof or something.
Have you covered the vents and any sky lights to block out the heat. I haven't in mine but mine still cools great and our bathroom if we shut the door is freezing and there is a vent and big shy light over the shower.
I looked up your unit and it looks very nice so something they missed during manufacturing I'm sure. Is it under warranty still? I'd check that roof insulation if you can. Is your roof/ceiling A/C ducting Styrofoam? Our is and it is thick Styrofoam.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

No, I don't have any special package in mine. The roof is supposed to be R-38, but it not even close. Not even close.

I have seen many use the radiant barrier and call that R-38. I will be looking this weekend for a better RV. I fought this one in the winter and pretty much won the battle, but it was much effort.

I have more to do in the floor, but I started in the rear and put 11 - 24 x 48 R-30 bats in the floor / underbelly. That helped a great deal with heating the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
Is your unit equipped with the Polar Tech Package which is R-38 insulation in the floors and roof??? Walls are R-10 insulation.
With that kind of insulation you shouldn't be having this issue.
Mine is a 42" 5er with R-34 in roof and R-38 in the floor and R-11 in walls, we can freeze out in it and we do it on purpose. I set ours on 55 one time when it was 95 outside and we gave in and turned it back up. Now during the 100 plus deg. days we set it on 65 to precool it during the night then the temp will creep up to about 75 in the day.
Wonder if they forgot to insulate your roof? I'd check that if at all possible to do.

Our floor in the bedroom is just plywood also and before winter I'm going to put some foam insulation board on it and also going to be checking my front cap that I hear they don't insulate. Other than that though ours is ok.
Something with yours isn't adding up like they didn't insulate the roof or something.
Have you covered the vents and any sky lights to block out the heat. I haven't in mine but mine still cools great and our bathroom if we shut the door is freezing and there is a vent and big shy light over the shower.
I looked up your unit and it looks very nice so something they missed during manufacturing I'm sure. Is it under warranty still? I'd check that roof insulation if you can. Is your roof ducting Styrofoam? Our is and it is thick like an ice chest.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #10

While a 20 degree differential is commonly understood, it is possible to achieve temps on the low 70s in some RVs when the outside misery index is in the high 90s. While I hesitate to compare mine with yours, after we complained about no air getting to the BR, the dealer tech was quoted as saying "some of your ducting is crushed." FR did step up and installed a second AC in the BR, but now we experience much condensation on the ceiling under, you guessed it, the crushed ducting. I don't know if your Sandpiper is built in the same factory as mine, or even if your ducting is similar, but you might want to check it out.