Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Leaking Fluid

Hi All

So the off-door side of the 365-SAQ now has a leaking front Hydraulic landing gear leg. Appears to be coming out just below the "allen screw" at the top. It is a pretty heavy flow, particularly when the hydraulics are activated.

Dropped off at repair shop, and Lippert has it documented, but anyone else have or had problems with this type of leak?

Thanks guys.
tromler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

If it was a backhoe, I would say that the allen screw scared your ram and caused the leak. Just a guess through. What did the repair shop say?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

They havent look at it yet...back logged, so it is sitting there waiting.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4

Let us know what they say if you will. I am very interested to know.
Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

So talked to the dealer...they tell me they cant find the leak....no fluid leaking currently. Which is funny, (not really), because when i dropped it off it was leaking like a sive from the area just under the HEX Key at the top front of the leg. They think it might be because of the cold....thickening the fluid...not sure i buy that, it is in the mid 30's.....

Could it be that so much fluid has run out that it is no longer leaking? How full should the resivour be when all slides are closed etc? Mine is less then half when I dropped it off?

So frustrating, as they cannot do anything for warranty until they see the leak....so submit to LCI/Lippert. It is getting cold here, and snow will be here soon, which means trying to get it back to the home will be a bear if there is snow.

Sorry for the rant, any suggestions? Should I find another repair facility?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromler View Post
So talked to the dealer...they tell me they cant find the leak....no fluid leaking currently. Which is funny, (not really), because when i dropped it off it was leaking like a sive from the area just under the HEX Key at the top front of the leg. They think it might be because of the cold....thickening the fluid...not sure i buy that, it is in the mid 30's.....

Could it be that so much fluid has run out that it is no longer leaking? How full should the resivour be when all slides are closed etc? Mine is less then half when I dropped it off?

So frustrating, as they cannot do anything for warranty until they see the leak....so submit to LCI/Lippert. It is getting cold here, and snow will be here soon, which means trying to get it back to the home will be a bear if there is snow.

Sorry for the rant, any suggestions? Should I find another repair facility?
I'll just throw out some comments here:

1. Hydraulic fluid usually leaves a stain on whatever it comes in contact with, so isn't there some fluid residue on/around the gear?

2. Hydraulic fluid,like most other fluids,does "thicken" as the ambient temperature drops (viscosity) and I'm not sure what the fluid spec is for your fluid - you can check the can for that info.

3. The reservoir level depends on whether the hydraulic cylinders are extended or retracted and how many are extended or retracted when you check the fluid level. If all cylinders are retracted, the fluid level should be at the full or near full mark on the reservoir. As you extend the cylinder (s) the fluid level will drop accordingly.

Hope this helps a little - I don't think it should be difficult to locate the source of the leak.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Yup. They found the residue. They are telling me they can due anything unless they see it leak. Seems like a load to me.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Yup. They found the residue. They are telling me they can due anything unless they see it leak. Seems like a load to me.
Me too. We are not talking about about a complex system here. Keep us informed.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

I would ask if they are even running the system or just letting it sit on the landing gear. Your hydraulic system should develop around 2000 psi at either end of the stroke if they are not running the landing gear to the end of the stroke they are not building enough pressure to find the leak.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

Thank you all, picked it up tonight, have an appt with another repair company, already talked to them and they seem to be on top of it. They can't understand why it sat so long either, it was three weeks tomorrow they had it and had not touched it.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #11

Hi guys

The leg is fixed, turns out it was a O ring the failed, lip pert sent out the O ring with new plug, replaced and no more leak. Glad I didn't leave it with the repair shop I had originally, it would have still be sitting there.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Hi guys

The leg is fixed, turns out it was a O ring the failed, lip pert sent out the O ring with new plug, replaced and no more leak. Glad I didn't leave it with the repair shop I had originally, it would have still be sitting there.
Glad to hear this. Just curious about what this "new plug" is that your talking about.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

Glad to hear this. Just curious about what this "new plug" is that your talking about.
Think its the piston/foot
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Think its the piston/foot
Not sure - be nice to see a pic.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi guys

Glad you got it fixed!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #16

At the top of the leg opposite side of where the hydro lines connect, there is a threaded plug ( actually two) one of the o rings was bulging out and that's where it was leaking. Lip pert sent the threaded plug and the o ring. This was the off door side hydro.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
At the top of the leg opposite side of where the hydro lines connect, there is a threaded plug ( actually two) one of the o rings was bulging out and that's where it was leaking. Lip pert sent the threaded plug and the o ring. This was the off door side hydro.
Humm - sounds like the leg is manufactured so it can be installed on either the left or right side position and the "plugs" cap off the holes that aren't used if I am understanding correctly.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #18

B47, yes, that's what it seems
Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
B47, yes, that's what it seems
And it took all this time and all those people to find this was the source of the leak ?

Tags
hydraulic, leak