Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Level-up Noises??

35 ROK with 6 pt. level-up system, level-up seems to work fine but on our last outing parked on a reasonably level site and the level system control panel indicated a level condition we noticed periodically what I can only describe as a shutter or settling of the 5th wheel. Seemed to come from front left jack but when we checked we found no evidence of change, fluid leaking, etc. Level-up control panel still showed level. This was not a one time occurrence but happened several times on that outing. Anyone experience anything similar? Suspect it's not specific to Sandpiper. Maybe air in the system?
ingalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

The system is self bleeding any air out so if you use the system regularly and the tank is at proper level this shouldn't be the case.

I have heard this happening when the outside air temperature changes from night and day and the fluid expands or contacts.

Now another possibility is if you have noticed a leak or the tank is lower than normal.
This would indicate a leak and the system pressure drops off and pump tried to maintain pressure.

Just my ideas what I think it may be.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

Certainly have not seen any obvious leaks, checking servicing of the system looks good, maybe it was just air. THANKS!!
Old 09-25-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

I have experienced the same thing, I only notice it a night when laying in bed but I have yet to pin point the issue. I seam the get the noise 3 times or so before I fall asleep. I am taking my in to the dealer here shortly and that was on my list for them to look at.
2012 Ram 3500 SRW
Ken91720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

Ours also happens at night after things have cooled down. Mines at the dealer for A/C and the level-up. Maybe they can find something but I suspect it's got something to do with expansion/contraction but that's purely a guess. Thanks for your reply, at least I'm not alone.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

We have had our level up system for 5 years. Never had any popping or settling noises. We camp in the desert frequently where temps swing drastically from day to night. So I don't buy the expand/contract theory unless the hydraulic fluid used is vastly different.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We have had our level up system for 5 years. Never had any popping or settling noises. We camp in the desert frequently where temps swing drastically from day to night. So I don't buy the expand/contract theory unless the hydraulic fluid used is vastly different.
Don't buy it?
FACT:
Hydraulic fluid under pressure will expand and contract with temperature changes within a closed system.
That is why they have a relief valve that dumps fluid back into the tank when it expands.
If the valve is having a problem it will sound like a popping sound.
He has it in the shop and I'm guessing the dealer will say nothings wrong with the system.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Don't buy it?
FACT:
Hydraulic fluid under pressure will expand and contract with temperature changes within a closed system.
That is why they have a relief valve that dumps fluid back into the tank when it expands.
If the valve is having a problem it will sound like a popping sound.
He has it in the shop and I'm guessing the dealer will say nothings wrong with the system.
Oh, I buy the fact that fluids expand and contract, some more than others. That's easy. If you think it's your relief valve then replace your valve. I'm saying that several of our camping buddies and ourselves have level ups and none of them pop, crackle, or snap regardless of temp changes or fluid expansion/contraction. So I would doubt the temp changes are the reason for the noises. But if you have a bad valve, leak, or seal... I would buy that. Have a nice day.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #9

There is another thread about removing a quart of the regular hydraulic oil and replacing it with a quart of caterpillar hydraulic synthetic
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #10

Lippert hydraulic systems use automatic transmission fluid --- ATF. See here for recommended fluid versus temperature: http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0291.pdf

See here for how to add anti-stiction fluid to resolve popping: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ic_Systems.pdf

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #11

Excellent, the dealer had no clue! I'll try this and see what happens. Thanks so much for your help.

Tags
noise