Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Thank you all for the advice...

I just sent notice to my dealer asking them to step up and contact forest river with two options:

1: replace the unit

2: take the unit back to factory and rebuild from top to bottom.

I am hoping that they step up on my behalf and make this happen....

Thanks
Jeff

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

If that doesn't work, sue them.
I know these campers are built by the cheapest labor available, with the cheapest materials possible, but that is ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #13

I understand your frustration, however, the majority of your issues are minor and easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Some of your expectations are unrealistic. A washer snapped on your couch so you want a new couch. Really?? You want an entire wall replaced because of a shower leak. Really?

Nothing on your list would be cause to call the RV a rolling hazard. After reading your list I will say that you wonít be happy with any RV you might purchase in the future, regardless of price or make.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I understand your frustration, however, the majority of your issues are minor and easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Some of your expectations are unrealistic. A washer snapped on your couch so you want a new couch. Really?? You want an entire wall replaced because of a shower leak. Really?

Nothing on your list would be cause to call the RV a rolling hazard. After reading your list I will say that you wonít be happy with any RV you might purchase in the future, regardless of price or make.
Oh my, isn't that a teeny teeny bit harsh? I do agree that some of the items on the OP's list I personally would not have listed, and just took care of.

My new unit (1/7/13) has been remarkably free of problems of a nature that I would have listed, like shower leaking around poorly caulked enclosure and wall, big streak of adhesive on roof, etc., etc. But I do enjoy taking care of the rig myself.

Personally, I think that many people get into the RV gig not realizing the extensive maintenance and work these rolling HOUSES are to keep going. They have many of the complexities of a house (if not more) and are subject to stresses and vibration that a house is not. A punch list on a new house can run to multiple pages, and I think they quality of houses built new ain't so great anymore.

SO the problem I see as the source of the OP issues is not the list but the shabby way they are being treated by the dealer and by FR. I know that the factory gets busy and pushes units out the door in a hurry, especially in the spring, depending on the after production repairs to fill out the gap. I also think that many dealers are not well prepared for the work one these units are to Prep and PDI. I think I would begin to be frustrated to if my dealer was as cavalier.

IMO
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

Totally Agree Garbonz...many of these things I could do myself, but when the items keep popping up, and the list growing on every outting, I want to push the quality issue back on the maker....my time is valuable too and when you approach a price point on these units that is increasingly high, I think there is a reasonable expectation of quality.

I am upset with the dimissive nature of Forest River, the dealer has been helpful....but not as much as I would like....I would like a little more push from them to Forest River as well.

We will see...supposedly my dealer has contacted Forest River and waiting for a response....
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #16

I too had issues and had to get Wayne involved. Not my favorite guy at Forest River and eventually had to contact someone at corporate who finally stepped in and assisted.

I'm not into Bashing people, but I think Oakmon was a little harsh here. Everyone has their own situation, and as for my family, We just didn't have 40 grand laying around to throw at our unit. We work hard for each and every payment we give the bank for our 365 and I feel the unit should be top notch. I think the only difference from my 40K unit and someone else's 70K unit should be the fixtures and options. The workmanship and quality should be the same. Caulk is caulk, and if they can caulk a window on a 70K unit without smearing it all over the coach, then they should be able to do the same for our units. I spent extra money buying my unit from a local dealer instead of a wholesaler. The dealer should be able to make all repairs right there, and do a quality job.

My pont is... for 40K, I shouldn't have to turn a screw, I shouldn't have to worry about a fuse melting and possible causing my camper to go up in flames, and if you've never seen a fire on a camper Oakmon, please consider that these rigs are made of lightweight materials that go up in flames quickly. The OP has every right (and if I had fuses melting, you can bet I'd be in the same position) to be concerned about the safety of his rig. We have two beautiful children in our camper and I can't imagine if we'd have a fire and not be able to get a 2 yr old and 6 month old out of the bunkhouse. Not like they can get out on their own. I'd be super concerned.

As for wanting the wall replaced, I don't know what I would do in that situation. If it could be proven that it dried out, there's no mold or mildew, and it's still structurally sound, maybe I'd let that go, but it's not my decision. It didn't happen to me and I believe the OP has the right to be concerned.

To the OP don't be afraid to contact Berkshire Hathoway for a contact higher up the food chain. They are located in Omaha NE. They will not help with the issue, but will get you in touch with someone higher then Wayne. I was getting no-where with my concerns. I had spoken to a lawyer who told me he'd write up a letter for around $200.00 to see if we could get their attention. At that point, I thought what have I got to loose. I ended up calling Berkshire, getting in touch with someone who gave a damn, saved the $200. and they fixed everything like I expected and I am finally a happy Forest River Customer.

Good Luck, keep your head up and make sure you buy an extended warranty no matter what.

Nights camped so far in 2016 = 0

Although Many trips scheduled.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #17

"In these short 2.5 months my list has grown and grown along with my frustration....culminating this past week with our week vacation in Cape Cod being interupted with a shower leak that flooded the basement mechanicals and water flowed into the front living area. Electricals are wet under there now, including grounding block, invertor, etc. Wall ius squishy now, wallpaper starting to peel."

I would hardly consider that a "minor" issue.
The OP has every right to be pizzed off. I would be livid.
Hopefully his dealer and the factory will do what is right.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #18

Hope you get the support you need from your dealer. There is always the RV lemon law. I sometimes think the dealers don't want to "go" to FR because they don't want the corporation checking into their dealership. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #19

Update

Hi all

Update: forest river picked up the trailer mid July and towed back to Indiana factory.

Gave them a itemized list of 57 items, some small cosmetic, others not.

Came back to CT this morning

After looking through it, they addressed every issue. Very pleased.

For those familiar with the 365 saq, they come with 6 k axles, which for the weight of this unit, is not really sufficient. I had askedmthemnto replace to 7k axles and they did. They also replaced my tired due to the mileage of towing it back.

I am extremely pleased at this point and very happy that forest river stepped up.

Regards
Jeff
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #20

Congratulations! Glad your finally on the mend. Hope all the fixes hold and your next camping trip is a dream.