Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

List of problems keeps growing:

Hi Guys

So my list of warranty work is growing on my 2014 Sandpiper 365-SAQ, which we picked up on 4/9/2013

In these short 2.5 months my list has grown and grown along with my frustration....culminating this past week with our week vacation in Cape Cod being interupted with a shower leak that flooded the basement mechanicals and water flowed into the front living area. Electricals are wet under there now, including grounding block, invertor, etc. Wall ius squishy now, wallpaper starting to peel.

Im at my wits end, after every trip something new comes up...talked to Forest River who basically just says bring it in for warranty work, wont address the underlying quality issues...the above is just one item...i have a list of 30+ issues, some small some large....Im afraid its going to be month after month after month.....ugh!
tromler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

Yes I agree quality control just isn't there. That sucks that you stuck with a bad egg. Hope things get sorted out for you
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

X2
Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

X3. Hope FR does right by you.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

Thanks all, will keep you posted....

Anyone know why one of the blade fuses would melt instead of "blowing"?

Second time it has happened, it's the outdoor lights and inside kitchen lights...they are on the same circuit.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromler View Post
Thanks all, will keep you posted....

Anyone know why one of the blade fuses would melt instead of "blowing"?

Second time it has happened, it's the outdoor lights and inside kitchen lights...they are on the same circuit.
I would start the process of getting a new camper. This is bad, very bad
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #7

I had talked to Wayne at Forest River and he told me they would not replace the unit.....frustrating....rolling hazard

For those that would like to see my list of small and not so small items:

Delivery Date: 4/6/2013 (unit was very dirty inside and out)
Outdoor Kitchen Weather stripping was damaged, tech pulled out and caulked, but very messy

· Hot Water Heater – not working – was not plugged in from factory (owner crawled under and plugged)
· Trim missing in half bath, kitchen and stairs & outdoor kitchen (factory sent trim, owner installed)
· Jensen radio malfunction (turn on by itself, randomly) – replaced (owner installed)

· Awning Failure while camping (6/8/13), Dometic 9100, unmovable, claim into Dometic (repaired 6/13 motor replaced) awning doesn’t stop when finger removed from button, fully extends, this was not the way it worked originally (tension needs to be applied to awning springs)

· Slides are making marks/mars on vinyl floor from travel on all slides
· Rear double bunk slide has caught on floor (folded under and torn edging on carpet)
· Slide awnings are collecting and pooling water
· Smears of caulk around EVERY window, light, etc, on finish, will not come off (entire coach needs to be cleaned & owner has tried cleaning will not come off)
· Bubbles/ripples in rubber roof, entire length (comes and goes with temp)
· Screws under Dichor on roof are pushing through, will lead to failure
· Drawer under fridge drags/sticks
· Top Right Drawer in Master Bedroom doesn’t close
· New Squeak in floor in kitchen, in front of TV
· Left window in master bed slide doesn’t go up, sticks
· Locks on both exterior doors are tough to turn key and also “auto lock” with repeated open/close
· Front exterior door squeaks, grinds, not square
· Latch sticks/squeaks on top pantry door
· Couch had a washer snap while folding/unfolding (couch should be replaced to avoid future failure)
· Porch light/Scare Light/Awning Lights flicker and also fuse melted this weekend on them (water getting into fixture or short of some sort), (updated new fuse melted again this past trip too)
· Both sets of entry steps squeak when stepped on
· Glue on Wallpaper in lower bunk (2-3 foot square area) will not come off
· Cabinets in back don’t line up and tough to close
· Wall paper boarder in kitchen/couch area is bubbling and not sticking/peeling
· Black Tank 1 Rinse and Black Tank 2 Rinse mislabeled on control panel outside (reversed)
· Molding/gasket doesn’t line up on shower door bottom
· Metal on shower door is tight at top, separated at bottom (needs entire surround replaced)
· Front Landing gear left, crooked, was told this is the design, but I don’t think it is.
· AC vents in front & rear are not capped internally, allowing air flow to continue on into the nose and rear walls of RV.
· Nail Pop under vinyl floor in rear bunkhouse
· “Sandpiper” sticker on front nose is cracked
· Caulk on weather-stripping in Outdoor kitchen was applied messy (Durnells RV)
· Hole in front door catch
· Shower drain leaking into basement….flooded forward and into living area, near front steps, will need wall replaced to avoid rot and wallpaper from peeling, will also need carpet replaced in basement and all mechanicals effected, i.e. ground blocks, invertor, etc. Vinyl floor may also bubble due to water penetration and subfloor integrity has been compromised by the water as well
· No drip tray came with RV grill
· Screw fell out of main entry door
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #8

Sounds like time to hire some help if they don't get it repaired. You may have to send it back to the factory, but like you are doing, keep all records of problems, procedures, phone calls etc. Keep after them. And keep documenting. Makes it much easier that way. Good luck and sorry you are having that much trouble with a fantastic floor plan.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #9

you can always try the lawyer route, not a good way to go as you will continue to pay for a unit you will not be able to use but eventually it will get taken care of. Funny your dealer is not behind you on this, I had as many problems with my Ridgeview 2 years ago and once the dealer contacted forest river and stated its repairs were beyond their capabilities Forest river send a driver to florida and returned the motorhome back to Indiana for repairs and returned it back a month later completely rebuilt.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #10

Sounds like it needs to go back for a rebuild, they usually come back a lot better than new units off the production floor. Good luck
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #11

Thank you all for the advice...

I just sent notice to my dealer asking them to step up and contact forest river with two options:

1: replace the unit

2: take the unit back to factory and rebuild from top to bottom.

I am hoping that they step up on my behalf and make this happen....

Thanks
Jeff
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #12

If that doesn't work, sue them.
I know these campers are built by the cheapest labor available, with the cheapest materials possible, but that is ridiculous.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #13

I understand your frustration, however, the majority of your issues are minor and easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Some of your expectations are unrealistic. A washer snapped on your couch so you want a new couch. Really?? You want an entire wall replaced because of a shower leak. Really?

Nothing on your list would be cause to call the RV a rolling hazard. After reading your list I will say that you won’t be happy with any RV you might purchase in the future, regardless of price or make.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I understand your frustration, however, the majority of your issues are minor and easily fixed by a competent dealer.

Some of your expectations are unrealistic. A washer snapped on your couch so you want a new couch. Really?? You want an entire wall replaced because of a shower leak. Really?

Nothing on your list would be cause to call the RV a rolling hazard. After reading your list I will say that you won’t be happy with any RV you might purchase in the future, regardless of price or make.
Oh my, isn't that a teeny teeny bit harsh? I do agree that some of the items on the OP's list I personally would not have listed, and just took care of.

My new unit (1/7/13) has been remarkably free of problems of a nature that I would have listed, like shower leaking around poorly caulked enclosure and wall, big streak of adhesive on roof, etc., etc. But I do enjoy taking care of the rig myself.

Personally, I think that many people get into the RV gig not realizing the extensive maintenance and work these rolling HOUSES are to keep going. They have many of the complexities of a house (if not more) and are subject to stresses and vibration that a house is not. A punch list on a new house can run to multiple pages, and I think they quality of houses built new ain't so great anymore.

SO the problem I see as the source of the OP issues is not the list but the shabby way they are being treated by the dealer and by FR. I know that the factory gets busy and pushes units out the door in a hurry, especially in the spring, depending on the after production repairs to fill out the gap. I also think that many dealers are not well prepared for the work one these units are to Prep and PDI. I think I would begin to be frustrated to if my dealer was as cavalier.

IMO
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Totally Agree Garbonz...many of these things I could do myself, but when the items keep popping up, and the list growing on every outting, I want to push the quality issue back on the maker....my time is valuable too and when you approach a price point on these units that is increasingly high, I think there is a reasonable expectation of quality.

I am upset with the dimissive nature of Forest River, the dealer has been helpful....but not as much as I would like....I would like a little more push from them to Forest River as well.

We will see...supposedly my dealer has contacted Forest River and waiting for a response....
Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #16

I too had issues and had to get Wayne involved. Not my favorite guy at Forest River and eventually had to contact someone at corporate who finally stepped in and assisted.

I'm not into Bashing people, but I think Oakmon was a little harsh here. Everyone has their own situation, and as for my family, We just didn't have 40 grand laying around to throw at our unit. We work hard for each and every payment we give the bank for our 365 and I feel the unit should be top notch. I think the only difference from my 40K unit and someone else's 70K unit should be the fixtures and options. The workmanship and quality should be the same. Caulk is caulk, and if they can caulk a window on a 70K unit without smearing it all over the coach, then they should be able to do the same for our units. I spent extra money buying my unit from a local dealer instead of a wholesaler. The dealer should be able to make all repairs right there, and do a quality job.

My pont is... for 40K, I shouldn't have to turn a screw, I shouldn't have to worry about a fuse melting and possible causing my camper to go up in flames, and if you've never seen a fire on a camper Oakmon, please consider that these rigs are made of lightweight materials that go up in flames quickly. The OP has every right (and if I had fuses melting, you can bet I'd be in the same position) to be concerned about the safety of his rig. We have two beautiful children in our camper and I can't imagine if we'd have a fire and not be able to get a 2 yr old and 6 month old out of the bunkhouse. Not like they can get out on their own. I'd be super concerned.

As for wanting the wall replaced, I don't know what I would do in that situation. If it could be proven that it dried out, there's no mold or mildew, and it's still structurally sound, maybe I'd let that go, but it's not my decision. It didn't happen to me and I believe the OP has the right to be concerned.

To the OP don't be afraid to contact Berkshire Hathoway for a contact higher up the food chain. They are located in Omaha NE. They will not help with the issue, but will get you in touch with someone higher then Wayne. I was getting no-where with my concerns. I had spoken to a lawyer who told me he'd write up a letter for around $200.00 to see if we could get their attention. At that point, I thought what have I got to loose. I ended up calling Berkshire, getting in touch with someone who gave a damn, saved the $200. and they fixed everything like I expected and I am finally a happy Forest River Customer.

Good Luck, keep your head up and make sure you buy an extended warranty no matter what.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #17

"In these short 2.5 months my list has grown and grown along with my frustration....culminating this past week with our week vacation in Cape Cod being interupted with a shower leak that flooded the basement mechanicals and water flowed into the front living area. Electricals are wet under there now, including grounding block, invertor, etc. Wall ius squishy now, wallpaper starting to peel."

I would hardly consider that a "minor" issue.
The OP has every right to be pizzed off. I would be livid.
Hopefully his dealer and the factory will do what is right.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #18

Hope you get the support you need from your dealer. There is always the RV lemon law. I sometimes think the dealers don't want to "go" to FR because they don't want the corporation checking into their dealership. Good luck.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #19

Update

Hi all

Update: forest river picked up the trailer mid July and towed back to Indiana factory.

Gave them a itemized list of 57 items, some small cosmetic, others not.

Came back to CT this morning

After looking through it, they addressed every issue. Very pleased.

For those familiar with the 365 saq, they come with 6 k axles, which for the weight of this unit, is not really sufficient. I had askedmthemnto replace to 7k axles and they did. They also replaced my tired due to the mileage of towing it back.

I am extremely pleased at this point and very happy that forest river stepped up.

Regards
Jeff
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #20

Congratulations! Glad your finally on the mend. Hope all the fixes hold and your next camping trip is a dream.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote