Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Oklahoma Proud

Looking at a 2012 365SAQ

Well I was planning on ordering a new Sabre 36-QBOK platinum with most of the options, when I ran across this 2012 sandpiper 365saq on CL about 3 hours from me. I have never bought a used trailer and have been just keeping my eye out since our totaled trailer was hauled away in July.
I think this one is a later model, owner said he purchased in January 2012. This one also has the current style nose, and the 2 stair windows.
-Wife wanted to know why I was looking at used, and I said it was about $18-21k cheaper- of course the sabre would have WAY more options, but $20k...?
- we will probably take to a seasonal site so my 2500 d-max hopefully will make it the 70 miles twice a year, at least truck and trailer will be empty.
--any feedback positive or negitive would be appreciated.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Heres a couple pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	39975

Attachment 39973

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	39974
Old 09-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Name:	ForumRunner_20130918_214620.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	39976
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #4

I have a '12 365SAQ and yes, the one you are looking at is the later-in-the-year model. You can tell by looking at the back bedroom for one. It has linoleum back there. Ours has only carpet. We LOVE our 365!!! As far as I am concerned, it is the best floor plan on the market for those of us with kids. Several others on here fell the same. We special ordered ours and have loved every minute while camping. That being said, I would like to get you to look at the weight sticker on the side of the coach. Look at the dry weight, and then look at you total cargo carrying capacity. But before you do, I would like for you to take a look at this thread. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-29605.html
Now, a disclaimer!!! ALL of them aren't not as heavy as a few of them. It all depends on how many options were ordered on it. I AM BY NO MEANS TRYING TO SCARE YOU AWAY!! What I am wanting you to know is that these units are big and heavy. They should've come with 7k axles under them, but they didn't. If your rig doesn't have a generator, 2nd air(which I strongly recommend) and other options, you would probably be ok. That being said, if you do buy it, for under a $1000 you could change out the axles and wheels on it and put 7k's under it if FR would not change them for you. It tows much better and carries the weight much better. Read the thread and see what we are talking about. Other than that issue, they are GREAT rigs. I just want you to be informed of what you are getting. If I were to wreck mine, I would order another tomorrow. We love it THAT MUCH. Good luck and YES, I would buy it!
Your D-MAx would pull it with no problem. The payload would be close with a 2500, but if it is near empty, you will have NO problem. God luck and feel free to ask if we can help anymore..
Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Thanks, yes I read that thread. I know its a little heavier than the sabre 36qbok but not by much. I wont be towing it much only about 150 miles a year, so I will probably "old coot " it for now, but with the savings of this one vs. New will help with me getting a dually.

Oh it has 2nd air, but no generator, and will be hauled empty as well as truck being empty
Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Thanks, yes I read that thread. I know its a little heavier than the sabre 36qbok but not by much. I wont be towing it much only about 150 miles a year, so I will probably "old coot " it for now, but with the savings of this one vs. New will help with me getting a dually.

Oh it has 2nd air, but no generator, and will be hauled empty as well as truck being empty
I pulled my '12 365 for 2yrs with a 2500 all over with no problems. Just recently traded for the 3500 and haven't pulled with it yet, hopefully this weekend. If you are going to a permanent site, I wouldn't worry too much about weight or axles (within normal limits, of course), you'll be fine. Nothing really stands out as a "problem area", that I've had to deal with. Although I did add legs to the fold down bunk, which is a must. We've personalized ours with mods and such, but the unit itself is great for a family or guests.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hope you don't mind, but took a quick look at CL listings in your area. From what I saw, the private listings were right at, or above, what I bought mine at new, 2yrs ago. You may have some more wiggle room there.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

No problem, he was asking $33k. My dealer buddy said wholesale was $28,900 , & $29,900 would be pushing it. And fyi trade is 75% of wholesale. And that is the actual cash value, or what they would buy it outright for.
I dont like throwing offers out there without looking at something in person, but knowing trade would be around $22k I think your right, I think there is some wiggle room, but then again alot of people dont put much down, finance for 15 years or just pay to much upfront. But im not in a hurry, so I may throw something like $27k out and see what sticks or wait it out.

Ps. Anybody have sway issues with hydraulic landing gear, since you cant put strong arms on them? Would tripod help on this kind of legs?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Does $27-28 k sound too high, if in good condition?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Does $27-28 k sound too high, if in good condition?
27-28 sounds about right. The legs, I made from some square steel tubing, but can also be made from wood. I'll see if I have a pic of them somewhere. I use a tripod on mine and don't have much sway at all. I plan on making a set of "strong arms" and either bolting or welding a bracket to the foot pad.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #11

The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River has a brand new 2013 for $35k I bought mine from them and it was a great experience. Just food for thought.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Thanks!

Well we went and looked at it yesterday, it was a little rough in my opinion. Owners wife said they lived in it for a year, while owner ( who was out of town) said it hadnt been used much. It was a lot more lived in than what I wanted, unless the price was in low $20k's, but he said he could only go down $1,000.
- oh well, you never can tell by pics, and thats why im glad we took the DW Impala instead of the duramax for our 360 mile round trip to take a peek at it.

At this point I really am liking the sabre 36qbok, and the Wildwood Heritage Glen 365qbq or the Salem Hemisphere 365qbq, but I still like the Sierra/ Sandpiper 376bhok. Probably go look at some more new ones next weekend.