Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

More tire issues

I know this subject has been rode to death, but I have a 2014 Sandpiper 376BHOK. It came with Master Craft 10ply tires and in the past 6 months I have had 3 tires with bubbles/knots in the sidewall. My dealer replaced the first one under warranty now the warranty company Loins Head (I think) is saying the other two tire are outside the 1 year warranty and won't do anything about. I knew the tires were cheap China bombs and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. Ok my question is how many other people have had the problem with the tire having bubbles/knots in them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434679445597.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	80411   Click image for larger version

Name:	1434679474035.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	80412  
SouthAlabama5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #2

Wow! I've never seen that happen. I'm replacing my West lakes on Saturday and getting Goodyear Marathons. Glad it didn't blow while you were driving!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabama5er View Post
I know this subject has been rode to death, but I have a 2014 Sandpiper 376BHOK. It came with Master Craft 10ply tires and in the past 6 months I have had 3 tires with bubbles/knots in the sidewall. My dealer replaced the first one under warranty now the warranty company Loins Head (I think) is saying the other two tire are outside the 1 year warranty and won't do anything about. I knew the tires were cheap China bombs and replaced them with Goodyear G614's. Ok my question is how many other people have had the problem with the tire having bubbles/knots in them?
The company that FR, Inc and some other RV manufacturers use is Lionshead.

Lionshead Tire and Wheel | Digital Hill

You actually have a MasterTrack pictured, not to be confused with MasterCraft tires, which are Cooper Tires associate brand. I know it may seem like splitting hairs, but worth noting.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #4

That's on the INSIDE too. Harder to spot. I haven't been diligent about checking the inside...now I will!

2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2015 Apex 288BHS
UmptySquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

Yea I meant MasterTrack, I apologize, I've been reading about tires so much it's all running together!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #6

Check out Carlisle Tires. They make an "E" and an "F" rated trailer tire in their new Radial Trail RH. I have been running Carlisles in every imaginable application and they're a tremendous tire IMO. The whole "China bomb anxiety" thing is terrible when you're dealing with all the other variables while towing.
Ijusttow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:43 AM   #7

I'm picking up my new 2016 376bhok on Monday. I hope they have updated to better tires, but I doubt it.
It's a shame that we pay these kind of prices for these campers, then have to spend another $600 or more for good tires.
fox1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1966 View Post
I'm picking up my new 2016 376bhok on Monday. I hope they have updated to better tires, but I doubt it.
It's a shame that we pay these kind of prices for these campers, then have to spend another $600 or more for good tires.
Yup your right, you might try to talk your dealer into upgrading the tires on your trailer before your pick it up. I read alot of reviews and went with the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16, It's a 14 ply commercial tire rated for 110PSI. At $350 a tire they're not cheap!

My dealer rep told me that Lionhead only would warranty the tires for around $65 per tire, if they would of covered them. That's is alot of money and alot of trailer to riding on $65 tires! Think about that next time your towing down the highway.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #9

We had a Carlisle tire do that on us a few years back on the popup...stopped for breakfast on the way home from camping (a very rare happening) and watched some folks pull in with horse trailers, park near ours, guy gets out looking under our camper and comes in and tells us about the bulge on our tire!
Saved us from getting on the interstate for an hour plus drive.....
Strange part......They live about 6 miles down the road from us and see them every now and then......
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #10

I've had that happen to three different semi trailer tires, tires were the wide single tires not duals, not really sure why, the guy who owns my trailer just changed them out and never really says anything about it, when they let the air out of them it seems like the sidewall cords just separate, that's a first seeing that on a smaller camper tire, definitely something for everyone to watch. For wondering minds the trailer tires that it happened to were all Michelin Xte x one wide singles

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The company that FR, Inc and some other RV manufacturers use is Lionshead.

Lionshead Tire and Wheel | Digital Hill

You actually have a MasterTrack pictured, not to be confused with MasterCraft tires, which are Cooper Tires associate brand. I know it may seem like splitting hairs, but worth noting.
Cooper not a good tire?
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

If your wheels are rated for 110psi, I would seriously look at the Sailun S637 tires that are G rated and only $150 each at NTB. I have the GY G614s on my camper and love them. However I had two of the bombs as my spares until about a month ago. I went to NTB and ordered the Sailuns. They are spitting images of the GYs. Across all forums in the RV world, they have been getting great reviews. I knew if I ever blew out one of the GYs, the China made ones would not carry the weight, so I bought another steel wheel from Tredit Tire for $41 and then mounted the Sailuns on the wheels. Yes, on long distance trips, I carry two spares. Learned this from a friend several years ago. If you have a heavy trailer, as most of us do here, when you blow one out, before you can get it stopped you have most likely damaged the other remaining tire on that side. PLUS, the Sailuns are rated for #3750 pounds per tire and nearly the same diameter of the GYs.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

I also read good reviews on the Sailuns, I like the idea of two spares, it's on my to do list. I would like to move the spare tire carrier over some and mount another to had 2 spares. I am going to check into getting 2 Sailuns to mount on the spares.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabama5er View Post
I've had that problem on our Sierra. I've had it happen to all five tires on our 5th wheel. Duro replaced all of them and have not had it happen since. I stayed with Duro because I don't know what else to use. Seems like most all are made overseas and if not can't get one in the size I need. I always feel my tires when we stop while traveling. Feeling for those bulging knots and the heat of the wheel. It's funny how people complain about "China Bomb tires" and fail to realize most everthing they own in their homes is from there.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #15

OKI Marine
My local dealer stopped handling anything but Duros; he swears by them.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
OKI Marine
My local dealer stopped handling anything but Duros; he swears by them.
I bought my camper new in 2010. That's all that's ever been on it. I've only had the bulging knots on the original set of tires that came on the camper. When I did replace them, I stayed with Duro and just went up a size. I think it was a half an inch taller and they had a higher weight rating. So far so good. I keep the tires clean and regularly inspect them.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire