Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

My list keeps growing.

We have a 40 Ft. Sandpiper that is, as far as I'm concerned.....a lemon.
We have actually used it for only 8 months, in the past two years. We have a list of over 30 things that have been wrong with it. So far, our dealer has been very good about getting everything fixed, but we should not have had this many problems. Our RV is in AZ, but we live in IN, so we couldn't attend the FROG rally. Our lights and the RV are melting the plastic housings. I wonder how long before we have a burnt up RV. Hopefully we won't be in it if that happens. We have asked that Forest River change all the lights to LED lights, but were told they will only change the to what we had before. That is NOT solving the melting problem. I would not recommend a Sandpiper to anyone else, even though they are a beautiful RV.

What can be done to get these lights changed to LED lights before we have a double funeral from a fire?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

IMO, changing to LEDs isn't fixing the problem. Something is allowing the lights to run hot and melt their housings. I'd try to find the solution to that before changing just the bulbs.

But, alas- that is the extent of my helpfulness as I know zero about electricity other than it's magical and lets me power all of my heart's desires.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #3

Maybe look for reflectors in the housings or lack there of. Should be a cardboard with aluminum coating which keeps the bulb from melting the back side of the light housing.

If it is melting the lens then it might be getting to much voltage say higher than 14.4 volts.

You could also run a cooler temp bulb but that will provide less lite.

These are just things to check.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Smile Hot light fixtures/Cool LED.s

We also had the same problem in our Ceder Creek. The light bulbs that come in the fixtures should not melt the plastic housing in the ceiling fixtures, but they did and I have the one I took out to show anyone that would like to see it. I have replaced one whole fixture with the LED lights and fixture and the one over the sink I just replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs. It doesn't get hot now and It would be nice to replace all the bulbs but that would cost over 500.00 to just replace the bulbs.
I know braun62 and I've seen their Sandpiper and it's a beautiful unit and it came with problems that are unimaginable. The light problem is scary for an elderly couple who might not move as fast as the rest of us. I think for nothing more then safety reasons FR should look into it and replace those fixtures with LED's that will cause no safety issue.

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun62 View Post
We have a 40 Ft. Sandpiper that is, as far as I'm concerned.....a lemon.
We have actually used it for only 8 months, in the past two years. We have a list of over 30 things that have been wrong with it. So far, our dealer has been very good about getting everything fixed, but we should not have had this many problems. Our RV is in AZ, but we live in IN, so we couldn't attend the FROG rally. Our lights and the RV are melting the plastic housings. I wonder how long before we have a burnt up RV. Hopefully we won't be in it if that happens. We have asked that Forest River change all the lights to LED lights, but were told they will only change the to what we had before. That is NOT solving the melting problem. I would not recommend a Sandpiper to anyone else, even though they are a beautiful RV.

What can be done to get these lights changed to LED lights before we have a double funeral from a fire?
I just read about the problems tromler had with his Sandpiper and the end line was that FR helped get his unit squared away. He's a happy camper now.
Norris RV in Casa Grande has done a lot of work on that Sandpiper of yours and FR has covered it. Yours was a mess when they delivered it to your site and it's looking pretty good now. If they can just do something with your light fixtures now, that would be great. Hang in there braun62..

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

OK, guys, I have decided to contact Forest River. Their quality control is absent. They need to replace the bulbs in all our lights, or face a possible fire. Why can't someone help us??????
Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Forest River Accessories

Try and contact Jim Treadwell, he is the warranty administrator for Sandpiper, his email is jtreadwell@forestriverinc.com or you can call the Sandpiper division directly at 909-873-3777.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun62 View Post
OK, guys, I have decided to contact Forest River. Their quality control is absent. They need to replace the bulbs in all our lights, or face a possible fire. Why can't someone help us??????
Have You checked for voltage at the lights as suggested?
Fr doesn't make the lights they just buy them and install them.
I'm not saying u don't have an issue but I've not heard of this complaint before.

If your converter is over charging that would put excessive voltage to lights making them burn brighter and hotter.

Turbs
Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Have You checked for voltage at the lights as suggested?
Fr doesn't make the lights they just buy them and install them.
I'm not saying u don't have an issue but I've not heard of this complaint before.

If your converter is over charging that would put excessive voltage to lights making them burn brighter and hotter.

Turbs
She really has a valid complaint. I have one that I replaced with LED's and the OE light fixture is burnt and plastic backing melted. Another one over the sink is melted too and I changed the bulbs to the LED bulb and it works great with no heat. Those OE light fixtures really get hot and after they've been on for 15 min or so ya can't even touch them.
I have one here and I'll shoot a picture and stick it in here so you can see it.
braun62 and Peggy and I are neighbors in Casa Grande AZ during the winter months and they have lights that look just like ours. The LED's are cool to the touch no matter how long they've been on. This could be a fire hazard for them if one should burn. I can see why's she's a bit worried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	37912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	37913  

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post

She really has a valid complaint. I have one that I replaced with LED's and the OE light fixture is burnt and plastic backing melted. Another one over the sink is melted too and I changed the bulbs to the LED bulb and it works great with no heat. Those OE light fixtures really get hot and after they've been on for 15 min or so ya can't even touch them.
I have one here and I'll shoot a picture and stick it in here so you can see it.
braun62 and Peggy and I are neighbors in Casa Grande AZ during the winter months and they have lights that look just like ours. The LED's are cool to the touch no matter how long they've been on. This could be a fire hazard for them if one should burn. I can see why's she's a bit worried.
Wrong bulb for fixture ?
What is the bulb number?

There's at least 15 different bulbs for the 900 series bulb.
All different wattages and lumens.